after 18 years of using Windows, i switched to ubuntu and i feel home!

cant say i like Ubuntu, Mint is my fave distro for daily use but im still here on windows 10 because games. if i need to reinstall my OS again though its not going to be windows but some Linux distro

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I switched to ubuntu something around 1 month ago, & windows 10 was very slow on my Potato Laptop, & when I factory reset on windows 10, it still is slow, or becomes slow in a day or two, but linux, it's very fast & even 1 month, It still is the same fast speed as when I first installed ubuntu

• 4 weeks later...

really? even linux fanboys dislike ubuntu :D

Spoiler

following lines may contain a discrete amount of sarcasm

get back to proper Windows with Windows ME or get into proper Linux compiling your customized Gentoo version u.u

after 21 years of using Winows, i got an Ubuntu in my second dive for university, and i formatted the ubuntu drive as soon as i didn't need it anymore

Ive generally had bad luck with ubuntu, but i did like debian, MX and Manjero (OpenRC version RIP :( ).

for some reason on my gear (as old as it is) does not like the change to System D for desktop systems (runs like bloated windows winxp or win7).

Medion 2004 Media PC 32-bit (currently runs MX-16 ) hard drive blew up and didnt have the chance to make recovery of win7 home premium.

Lenovo G540 1.3GHz 64-bit 8gig ram, for desktop version System D, cpu is to slow.

Still have a working  Acer Veriton 5600G  with winXP 

and a Leading Edge Computers 2004 with winXPbuild pmsl

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

In every 4-5 years im doing the same. 1 or 2 months later, i don't have linux on my laptop anymore. Still unusable on laptops. Touchpad is crap, battery life is crap, laptop running much more hotter etc.

Ubuntu is very snappy. I think that's my favorite thing about it. UI is simple and light and not that much different to windows from a normal user standpoint. Sister old laptop run like a charm now. For browsing, some typing, and pictures you don't need anything more. She thought i only changed the background color from what she called "the 4 blue square" to an orange color. Rename openoffice "Writer" icon on the desktop to "Word" and your good to go lol.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, Franck said:

Ubuntu is very snappy. I think that's my favorite thing about it. UI is simple and light and not that much different to windows from a normal user standpoint. Sister old laptop run like a charm now. For browsing, some typing, and pictures you don't need anything more. She thought i only changed the background color from what she called "the 4 blue square" to an orange color. Rename openoffice "Writer" icon on the desktop to "Word" and your good to go lol.

if i ever really switched to linux (not going to happen anyway since linux subsystem gives me linux compiling and testing for command line applications which is everything i need from that os), all i know is i'd NOT use ubuntu out of all distros for sure

I still miss my hardy heron installation back in the day when i used to play mainly on consoles. It's about the only thing though :P

Ubuntu is pretty good, but it just didn't work out on my 4790k build when I installed version 16 and 18. My school has its entire lab migrated to Linux for its cybersecurity curriculum.