Nintendo Switch Online Service costs money

10 hours ago, Demonking said:

once again Steam is free and superior to all of them origin as well. " steam only as of this month started offering chat partys something consoles have had for years" That's is not true steam has had that years. 

Alright " Steam just launched a usable team voicechat" Exactly why something like discord is able to succeed is steam sucked at it.  but its Something xbox had 10 years ago. Paying did lead to a better online experience. If that difference is worth it to you or not is your own personal value but  to disregard it has some benefit at all is wrong. 

Even the fragmentation on PC can be a headache Steam Orgins Windows Store Uplay. When you want to invite a friend to play or join a party Xbox handles all these companies games with a single account  on PC you need 4 different Friendslists  and then a discord type app with another 5th friends list. Invite on discord then  invite on game.  you only had steam up and your friend only had orgins up so you cant even see each other are online to invite em to play together. 

There is a convenience factor as well  as many other things from Free Monthly games

Steam is awesome  But that doesnt disprove paying has always lead to a better Experience overall for most people 

Some of you seem to be working under the assumption that people can afford even $20/year for console online, because "lol it's $2 a month how bad could that be"

Consider that a lot of people around the world are poor and that even $20/year can pose a huge financial burden on them. For them, the PC is a better option, because they don't have to pay anything to join their friends online in most games, but then the cost of entry for the PC can be higher.

14 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Sony and Microsoft are evil for charging to use their online servers. BattleNet charges you to use their online servers and yet they're not evil for some reason. It's ironic, although I clearly shouldn't expect you to be able to understand that based on the position of the rest of your entitled arguments.

Battle.net itself is free. The only game on it that requires a subscription to play is World of Warcraft. Every other game on Battle.net doesn't require a subscription.

25 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Some of you seem to be working under the assumption that people can afford even $20/year for console online, because "lol it's $2 a month how bad could that be"

Consider that a lot of people around the world are poor and that even $20/year can pose a huge financial burden on them.

If you can't afford something then you just can't have the something. That's just how the world works.

Besides, if you can afford the cost of the console/PC+games, then you can certainly afford the extra $20/year.

Battle.net itself is free. The only game on it that requires a subscription to play is World of Warcraft. Every other game on Battle.net doesn't require a subscription.

Yes, but it's still ran by what must be an evil company since they do charge for access to one of their games.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

If you can't afford something then you just can't have the something. That's just how the world works.

Beats, if you can afford the cost of the console/PC+games, then you can certainly afford the extra $20/year

So poor people shouldn't have fun then, I guess. How dare we not have bottomless supplies of cash, right?

10 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

So poor people shouldn't have fun then, I guess. How dare we not have bottomless supplies of cash, right?

If you can afford to get the console on a financing plan, a years subscription is the same cost as a month on the financing... Less for this one.

And you don't need multiplayer videogames to have fun... There are board games and movies and books and freaking single player games.

So no. You are not entitled to any fun you want. There are plenty of other cheaper ways to have fun. There are plenty of ways to have fun that are far more expensive. You're not, for example, entitled to ride around in a yacht flipping people off. "You mean I can't have fun just because I'm not obscenely wealthy...?"

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

If you can afford to get the console on a financing plan, a years subscription is the same cost as a month on the financing... Less for this one.

And you don't need multiplayer videogames to have fun... There are board games and movies and books and freaking single player games.

So no. You are not entitled to any fun you want. There are plenty of other cheaper ways to have fun. There are plenty of ways to have fun that are far more expensive. You're not, for example, entitled to ride around in a yacht flipping people off. "You mean I can't have fun just because I'm not obscenely wealthy...?"

No, I mean "have enough money to have fun and socialize while also keeping up with my basic needs"

I'd also like a Ferrari, alas, I can't afford one, therefore I don't get to have one.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

I'd also like a Ferrari, alas, I can't afford one, therefore I don't get to have one.

Way to misrepresent what I mean.

1 minute ago, NowakVulpix said:

Way to misrepresent what I mean.

But I'm not. No one is entitled to be able to play games online. If you can't afford something, then you can't have the something. Companies don't need to bend over backwards so that everyone can afford everything.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

But I'm not. If you can't afford something, then you can't have the something. Companies don't need to bend over backwards so that everyone can afford everything.

15 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

No, I mean "have enough money to have fun and socialize while also keeping up with my basic needs"

This is what I mean :V I want to live a comfortable life too, am I not allowed to do that?

3 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

This is what I mean :V I want to live a comfortable life too, am I not allowed to do that?

You are, so long as you can afford it.

You get to a position to be able to afford it by working hard, like the rest of us.

End of story.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You are, so long as you can afford it.

You get to a position to be able to afford it by working hard, like the rest of us.

End of story.

So having fun is only for people who have money. Got it.

2 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Playing tag in the park is free.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Playing tag in the park is free.

Time to sell my PC and consoles and live the life of a hermit then I guess, because having fun is only for people with money apparently.

How utterly capitalist.

3 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

If the only way to have fun is to play online games and you've somehow acquired a console and games, but for some inexplicable reason can't afford an extra $30/year, then no, you can't have fun. Just like I can't have my Ferrari. You don't get to have things that you can't afford.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

If the only way to have fun is to play online games and you've somehow acquired a console and games, but for some inexplicable reason can't afford an extra $30/year, then no, you can't have fun. Just like I can't have my Ferrari. You don't get to have things that you can't afford.

Cool, glad to know you don't care about my basic needs like food and water, and also keeping up with state and federal taxes. Shit's expensive, yo.

Just now, NowakVulpix said:

Time to sell my PC and consoles and live the life of a hermit then I guess, because having fun is only for people with money apparently.

If you're sacrificing needs for wants, you need to unfuck your fucked up priorities. Not become a whiny, entitled bitch because others can have some of their wants without sacrificing on needs.

2 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

How utterly capitalist

Yes. Most modern luxuries can only exist when capitalism exists.

Cool, glad to know you don't care about my basic needs like food and water, and also keeping up with state and federal taxes. Shit's expensive, yo.

If you can't afford food and water because ypu want to play games online, you get what you deserve.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

How utterly capitalist.

If the only way for you to have fun and socialize is to play online multiplayer you have a sad sad life.

As mentioned tag in the park is free. Board games cost less than that multiplayer subscription. Tabletop RPGs have the cost of a piece of paper and a writing utensil, maybe some dice. Single player video games don't have subscription fees. There's movies and hiking, books and shitpostimg. Plenty of ways to have fun other than this one solitary activity.

1 hour ago, NowakVulpix said:

Consider that a lot of people around the world are poor and that even $20/year can pose a huge financial burden on them. For them, the PC is a better option, because they don't have to pay anything to join their friends online in most games, but then the cost of entry for the PC can be higher.

Then that person also can't afford a switch, PC, PS4, Xbone, or to have gaming as their hobby. This isn't for them, and it isn't a hobby for them. Pursuing gaming as a hobby if 20/yr is a burden shows that you're financially braindead with horrible priorities.

6 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

You don't need to play video games online. I too wouldn't be able to eat, pay taxes, or have a roof if I bought a Ferrari. That doesn't mean Ferrari should lower their prices or give me a free Ferrari.

There are also people who are literally starving to death while you spend money and time on video games. How shitty of you.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Gaming is not a necessity. If you have to pick between necessities and a hobby, you can't afford the hobby.

People don't seem to understand that running servers and shit costs money.

A lot of it, as a matter of fact. Consoles aren't cheap to make, games don't make enough return for the licensee of the hardware, so what do they have to do to fund the servers for online games and still make a profit? Charge for it.

Valve knew that the PC market space is significantly different than the console market space in terms of online play and selling games. They can very easily get away with a decent cut of a game's purchase while satisfying the developers and publishers because there's less in the way of physical mediums and more in the way of maintaining servers. Valve could probably run at least half of their American Steam servers off of Team Fortress 2 revenue alone, but that probably wouldn't bring in profit.

Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony don't get that luxury and have to rely on subscriptions to fund their servers and turn a profit with it. At least nowadays they're making it more worthwhile with free games and whatnot.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

The level of apathy in this thread astounds me. It doesn't have to be this way, y'know.

The level of apathy in this thread astounds me. It doesn't have to be this way, y'know.

Yep, I have no apathy for someone who can't afford to play video games just like I wouldn't epect someone to give a shit about me not being able to buy a private jet.

You work hard and you can buy things. Otherwise, grow the fuck up, you're not entitled to anything.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Yep, I have no apathy for someone who can't afford to play video games just like I wouldn't epect someone to give a shit about me not being able to buy a private jet.

You work hard and you can buy things. Otherwise, grow the fuck up, you're not entitled to anything.

Yeah, these things (computers, video games and keyboards) are expensive.

But, you're still allowed to have fun with your life. You've only got one shot at this so might as well make the most of it~