Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GabenJr

Is Your Gaming Rig Being Bottlenecked??

Hi i'm new here.

I Have the MSI GT 72VR 7RE Dominator Pro  I7 7700 32GB RAM and a GTX1070 and i would like to know if my masive frame rate drops (for example BF1 on Ultra from 90 ish drops like to 30 or even 20)  are related with some kind of spontaneous Bottlenecking at some point.

Hey @LinusTech , on this subject. How about a video explaining this in your usual fashion. I'm referring to the bit "collecting the information", as you've already explained v-sync in a techquicky.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/894384-stutters-framedrops-lag-how-to-provide-detailed-information-with-your-bottleneck-question-as-well-as-a-few-solutions/

You have a better ability than me to explain it in layman's terms. Plus your video's reach further than my signature does. That and I want to stop posting it every single WHY IS MY PC STUTTERING or BOTTLENECKING topic. 

Maybe make it a techquicky, I don't care. Teach people how to diagnose a system with Afterburner, so they come to the forum with a more informed question. 

20 minutes ago, Drift1233 said:

I'm planning to build a rig with 16gb of ddr4 ram, gtx 1070 8gb, and a Intel core i5-8500 6 core cpu. Will there be any bottlenecking in my new rig?

Very similar to my rig. When I check task manager most modern games use about 50-70% resources with no noticeable lag or frame drops. BTW this is gaming at 1080p 60fps

Hello, newbie here.

thebottlenecker.com says Graphic card and processor will work great together

Not really sure if this is true because in some games I get really low fps,

in PUBG sometimes 40 - 50 fps or other games don't seem to run that well too.

Does my CPU bottleneck my GPU? or any other part in my rig?

Specs:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (GP104-200)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K @3.50 GHz (overclocked it to 4.20 GHz)

RAM: 4x Kingston 99U5471-020.A00LF 4 GB DDR3-1333

Drives: 

yy714s6.png.6ecf27c9807d016fb9e55b7b858d38e5.png

Thanks for any help in advance.

Can you guys help me out? Tried thebottlenecker.com and it shows that i have a 5% bottleneck on my system over the previous one that has a 1% bottleneck( sapphire r9 380 nitro oc). Budget System is as follows

ryzen 3 1200 stock

2x4 gb 2400mhz ballistix sport lt memory

Sapphire r9 290x tri x oc

3x 7200 rpm mechanical hdds

i have the asus gtx 1080Ti and an i78700k with 16gb trident z ram and i normal play games on ultra has that got any bottle necks? i cant even see on thebottleneck due to the fact my i7 is not on thier yet.

15 hours ago, brandishwar said:

Which, I've noted, many of the people who throw around the word "bottleneck" tend to be have very elitist and fanboyish attitudes. Especially given how anti-AMD a lot of people were (especially on this forum...) prior to Ryzen launching. That something better is available seemed more important than whether the existing AMD processors or used hardware was still workable. And that something else being more important than the processor and graphics card seemed unfathomable.

And that's what the term "bottlenecking" has now devolved into; a scapegoat used by elitists and especially fanboys who don't know any better but want to appear as if they know stuff when in reality, they're making themselves look even dumber.

I'm frankly unimpressed by any statement along the lines of "Hurrr, Ryzen is only good at bottlenecking high-end GPUs hurrr" or "You need a 7980XE or you'll bottleneck your 1080 Ti to crap".

Here's the hard truth. You can't totally eliminate bottlenecks. While you can reduce the potential bottleneck between CPU and GPU, you'll still leave other bottlenecks in, like a storage I/O bottleneck, RAM bottleneck, or even the game you're running on, where some games don't really take much advantage of everything your system offers. And you just simply can't get rid of them.

Instead of worrying about bottlenecks, worry about the performance you'll get out of a hardware combo. Ideally, you shouldn't really be pairing an 8700K or R7 2700X with a GT 1030 (especially the super-gimped DDR4 "Fuck you" edition) and an FX-4350 or Pentium with a GTX 1070. But take a more reasonable combo like a Core i7 7700K and a GTX 1070. It'll hold you back a little in titles that benefit a ton from multithreaded workloads but if you're still achieving very playable results at your desired settings, does it really seem all that worrying?

In short, don't fret too much out of bottlenecks. If you're building, focus on what's the best you can do out of your budget. And please focus on the PSU. I've seen too many cases of PSUs exploding and even one burning a house down.

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Am i bottlenecked? My rig is for only gaming and light youtube watching. i7 6700, 16GB DDR4 2400, GTX 1060 6GB, Gigabyte H270 gaming 3 motherboard, 512GB m.2 boot drive, 1TB m.2 game drive, NZXT Kraken X62 AIO for cpu.

Hello everyone, i nees some help on my setup. 

I use it to play mostly Rainbow six siege a very demanding game. 

I am bottknecking somewhere and i think it is on ram but also something else could you guys pls help me out. 

My config: 

gtx 1070Ti 

I7 7700

8Go DDR4 2133

b250m pro-vd 

I run a 2k asus monitor

I have a Core i5 2500K, no laughing, with a small overclock and a GTX1060 and haven't really noticed a problem with bottlenecking in games or any other applications. I'm more inclined to think that the bottleneck in my system is the 500GB mechanical HDD.

._.

19 hours ago, FreakyFly said:

What to know if my rig is bottlenecked too much.

I have an AMD fx-4300 cpu and Rx570 4gb gpu.

Is my cpu bottlenecking my gpu?

I use this rig for gaming only. The settings I play most of the AAA title games would be 1080p High settings.

Hope to get an answer and please don't my poor English 😁.

What games are you playing in particular?

18 hours ago, livedinokc88 said:

ok so i have a amd ryzen 1600x msi krati x370 motherboard and 8g ddr4 3200 ram  and a 780sc 

so what video card world be good for me to get 

thanking of getting a gtx 1060 what do u guys think 

What games or work programs do you have in mind?

18 hours ago, Achi596 said:

I currently have an Intel Pentinum g2230, 8gb of ddr3 ram, an Asus b85mg motherboard and Gt 1030

to play games on and I get reasonable fps, but I want to go into VR, after running Steam VR performance test it said 100% frames are GPU bound as I am only getting 60fps if I buy a gtx 1060 3gb would I be able to play VR titles at reasonable settings

What games are you playing in particular? and which VR games/programs are you looking to do?

18 hours ago, WarKel said:

Hmmmm

This might explain my performance isseus

I play alot of Farming Simulator 17 and have upgraded to a Nvidia Geforce GTX1070, but I'm still running my old motherboard and CPU setup.
My currents setup is:
Intel Core i5 2500K (socket 1155 LGA)
MB: Asus P8H67-V
16GB DDR3
GPU Gigabyte Nvidia GTX1070 8GB

and i run this on a 21:9 3440x1440 Dell monitor

I was hoping this would power the new edition of the Farming Simulator Game in November as well. But maybe its time for the old CPU to go?

Any advice on this?
http://thebottlenecker.com gives me the option for Intel Core i5-8600K.

Yeah a new(er) CPU and motherboard would help alleviate things a bit. Keep in mind most common modern systems run on DDR4, so you'd be looking at a new system

do you have a framerate number while you're in farming simulator? if it's about 50 to 70fps you should really do fine ._.

(do also make a new thread in New Builds and Planning if you decide to start planning your upgrade https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/)

18 hours ago, Glazarus said:

I just bought a new system based on mostly working with my high end Red camera and doing color grading, editing (Adobe Premiere / Avid) and some AE post production. But I'm also using this for some gaming as it's my home company. Here's my specs:

https://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/11672574/2017-07-25-13-16

(It's in Swedish, but I think the names of the components will show it all)

Now, there's some changes, I changed out the Intel SSD to a Samsung Pro 1TB. The Noctua fans will replace the original fans on the water cooling and the water cooling is changed to a NZXT Kraken X62 280mm instead, due to the case not working with the Corsair. 6Tb will be set in a RAID-0 for performance, while using the TB3 card for external drives and backups. I'm also using my previous Titan X Maxwell in this rig, however, I might sell it and get a newer one if there's bottlenecking in this rig. 

It's the company (Inet) that builds the computer, so I'm no expert in this. I have however researched as much as I can about all the components. I'm figuring out if I could overclock the CPU somewhat to get a bit more on each core, but I'm not sure if that works. How will this system work? It's not paid yet and they are building it right now, so would be nice to know if there's any things to reconsider in the last minute. 

what kind of footage format are you working with? are they in cineform or other formats? most of the time you'd be looking at CPU for most codecs, but your CPU should do fine.

You should make a new thread in New Builds and Planning, you'd get more visibility there. https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

also are there any GPU-based plugins you're aware of?

17 hours ago, powerhour said:

So I built a new system at the beginning of the summer and reused my old GPU as a placeholder until I had funds to get a new one. Currently I'm using a ryzen 1600 and an R7 250x ( I know its old). My method for saving money for this is simple, I use the acorns app that does a "keep the change" transfer for me to an account accruing about $30-$50 bucks a month depending on my spending habits.  Currently I'm setting at $170 USD. So around October I could buy a 1060, which I think is the best option to make a balanced system. 

In your opinion is there a lesser card that would be balanced like a rx 580? is the price point worth it?

1. Good on you!
  2. Should do fine in most medium settings. which games are you looking to play?
  3. (do make a new thread in Graphics Cards, you'll get better help there https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/16-graphics-cards/)

And the million dollar question, 1160/2060 is the "mid-tier" upgrade card is rumored to  come out when I'm ready to buy. So what are the specs on that thing predicted to be and price?

as they say in my hometown: "you ask me, I ask who?"

17 hours ago, Hahagavin said:

Ok I'm running a radeon RX 460, with a cor i-5 7400, is there any bottlenecking happening 

How much RAM do you have? What are you looking to run on your system?

16 hours ago, smokeogwithanog said:

need to know how much my hard drive bottlenecks my pc

i5 7600k OC @ 4.8ghz

gtx 1070 FE

16 gb DDR4 2800 mhz

Z270 k motherboard

Seagate 1TB barracuda HDD 2014 edition  = the bottneck

How does this lower performance of my other parts??

What games or programs are you looking to run on them?

16 hours ago, adrianors said:

can someone tell me if my system is bottlenecking? it has a Core 2 Dou 2.00Ghz, ATI Mobility radeon HD 3400 graphics 256Mb and 4Gb Ram.

i'm thinking to buy a core 2 Q9100 quad 2.26Ghz.

im pretty sure that my hdd is also a bottleneck.

those are pretty old ._. what programs are you trying to run?

15 hours ago, ArabLord said:

I have a lot of questions about bottlenecks if anyone can help. 

I currently have an i7 4770k and a gtx 770. It’s doing ok so far but I want a 1080. Will this cause any bottleneck and should just get a new system with the 8700k with the 1080 or the the i9 and 1180 when they come out?

What games are you looking to play and what programs are you looking to run? the 4770k might do fairly okay for another year or 3, so

15 hours ago, Dave1337 said:

how's my setup? 

screenshot.png

._.

14 hours ago, boosted98gsx said:

So I've got an old system I built back in 2011 ish. It still runs games great, but I'm wanting to get into a "hyperthreaded" cpu since it's just a quad. The platform consists of an AMD Phenom II 965BE (OC'd to 3.7 gHz) with 16g of corsair vengeance RAM, a 250g Samsung Evo SSD, and a Gigabyte R9 390 8gb.

I was hoping to upgrade to a threadripper (because why not, and 1/2 the price of an I7 still) and build another 5+ year capable rig. Obviously RAM and GPU availability are keeping me from upgrading, but I'd still like to. Would the R9 390 work okay on this setup? Assuming I get 16gb of decent RAM to go with the Threadripper? Maybe go with the 3.8Ghz 1900x instead of the 1950X?

what programs and games are you looking at? You'll get better help at new builds and planning https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/)

14 hours ago, arisp1 said:

I have i3 6100 and gtx 1050ti and when I play csgo I get fucking below 140fps playing at 4:3 1024x768 black bars all low multi core rendering enabled. I have budget of $300 for cpu+motherboard willing to buy ryzen or intel. My motherboard rn doesn’t support the coffee lake processors so that’s why I’m willing buying new motherboard. What’s the best cpu+motherboard combo for under 300 bucks and is a 7700k worth it? Because with my motherboard I can upgrade to that. Or is ryzen 7 1700x good or i5 8400? Help pls

Higher clockspeed. turning the frame counter off will help.

13 hours ago, thx4nothing said:

Current Setup:
CPU: i5 4670k non-OC

RAM: 16gb 1600mhz DDR3

GPU: R9 280x

1080p@60hz Monitor

My future plan:
Buying a 21:9 monitor (3440x1440@120hz, gsync)

Buying a next generation GPU on the level of a 1080 ti or 1080 (1180 or 1170. I know that they are not even announced yet, but I can wait, even one year.)

Considering that I will play at a rather high resolution, will my CPU bottleneck my new GPU?

what games and programs do you want to run?

13 hours ago, slider_aus said:

so is there a good chance my 2600K is bottlenecking my gtx 1060 OC?

for which game and programs?

13 hours ago, Scary said:

I'm running a 8 core vishera clocked at 4.0 ghz, 16 gigs of ram and a gtx 1070 on windows 10. I primarily game at 1080p on current titles and 4k on older titles. Any conceivable bottleneck?

which games are they? if you're around 50 to 70fps you shouldn't need to worry

13 hours ago, Octane_Invader said:

i3 3220 8gb ddr3 1600mhz with a gtx 1050ti msi gaming, gigabyte mother what my bottle neck for playing fortnite???

does it stutter when you play? is the fortnite files on an SSD?

in general I'd point to CPU since the 1050ti should be fine for 60-ish fps on mid-ish-high

12 hours ago, Why_it said:

My i7 6700k is plenty for my gtx 960 reference, I wanna know what will get the most out of that processor, a 1080 maybe because my cpu is only ever at a max of 40% load when gaming at 2k 144htz. Will the 1180 even be enough to out preform my cpu?

no one knows yet. also you're doing fine if you're currently stable around 60 or 120fps.

12 hours ago, SilverX959 said:

i wonder how bad of a Bottlenecked my system is

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz, Turbo 2.93GHz 8MBL3
RAM: 14GB DDR3 1066MHz Triple Channel
Motherboard: OEM dell x58 Chipset from a Studio XPS 435t
GPU: PCI-E PNY GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5 XLR8 OC
Monitor: DELL 21" 1080

i also wonder how much of an improvement i would get if i put my 1060 in my FX-8120 125w system that can turbo to 4GHz on a GA-990FXA-UD3(rev. 1.1) with 8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 ram

currently that system has a GTX 560 SC in it

what program or game are you wanting to run this on?

12 hours ago, shajawad said:

Holle I am currently planning to build a Rig for gaming purpose, the products mentioned below.

1. Gigabyte AB350 gaming 3.

2. Ryzen 7 2700x.

3. Asus ROG 1070.

4. Gskill Trident Z 8x2 16GB 3200 MHz.

5. Samsung 970 pro M.2 250GB NVME SSD.

6. Corsair H105i AIO liquid cooler.

7. Samsung 850 pro 1TB SSD.

8. Barracuda cuda core 4TB drive.

9. Cooler master H500 M.

10. I haven't thought about the monitor at the moment, but it would surely be 1440p display.

Show the products that I am going to use are gonna cause bottleneck?

Looking forward for your reply.

any specific games or programs you're looking to play with?

11 hours ago, chiragjoshi said:

However silly this sounds, its not. Its very real.

I have Dell Inspiron 7560 (i7[7500u]/8Gb Ram/128GbM.2/1TB HDD/NVDIA GeForce 940MX).

I used it for games, like CS Go etc. and Adobe Premier for editing my youtube videos (which is painfully slow but it is what it is).

Lately I've been experiencing undesirable performance.

My question is that my ram is only 8 gb is that causing bottleneck? should I upgrade to 16 gb?

What will be the best upgrade to my laptop to give it a mega boost in performance.

Thanks for helping me out.  

Regards,

Chirag Joshi

(Small time Indian youtuber: look out for dbrand GRIP iPhone X drop test) 

(Silly is answering 32 quotes at once, LOL)

two things: look into 16GB RAM and a fairly well-sized SSD (say let's start with 0.5TB). either of them are contributing to read times. (RAM for playback, HDD for file handling and exporting)

if you feel the export times are a bit long, having a CPU with more cores will help. I was about to say your GPU should do fine if you're not using too many effects or layers, but I forget you're using a laptop (EDIT: I mean like you can't possibly upgrade the CPU or GPU on it), so your next step would be working towards a better PC/Laptop. Save up towards a new system and make a new thread in New Builds and Planning whenever you're ready https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

10 hours ago, Lycophos said:

Hey people, I know the forums are overrun with plebs like me asking the same question over and over, but oh well here goes.

Cpu: core i7 3930k @3.2ghz

Gpu: asus strix 1060 6gb

Ram: 16gb DDR3

Motherboard : gigabyte GA-X79-UD3

My main game is black desert online , a massive mmrpg with pretty stunning graphics that is also known for it's garbage optimization. It is very CPU intensive as it's littered with NPCs, buildings and individual models of blades of grass as well as particle effects and such. When my character isn't moving and there's no too much activity around from NPCs or other players, I run at around 80-90 fps at 1440p, however if I start actually playing the game producing particle effects and moving the camera thus loading and unloading mathings rapidly, it usually drops below 60 for a while. This all has lead me to believe there is CPU bottleneck but as I am not an expert by any means,I really can't judge. Could overclocking my CPU to 4ghz net me better results? I know for a fact I can pull that off with my Noctua nh-d15 cooler

mmm, particle effects slowdown is harder to pinpoint. sometimes it's the CPU not accounting for the particles quick enough. sometimes it the GPU having to shade a lot of effects. sometimes it's the game that's not too optimised for it.

there's a reason reviewers stick to specific games when reviewing hardware, and that's due to the consistent and not too varied "load" between light scenes and sudden demanding detail

try turning off/down the particle effects if you can and see if it runs better. if it's somewhat the same then you can start doing things like overclocking and whatnot. you should do fine when you're stable around 60 or 120 fps.

10 hours ago, mycodeis007 said:

Hi,

currently i just build up a new pc using my old GTX 970

CPU : Intel i7-8700K 3.7 Ghz
RAM : Corsair Vengeance® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit — White
Mobo : AsRock z370 Extreme 4
GPU : MSI GTX 970 4GD5T OC

SSD : Silicon Power M55 M2 2280 120GB
HDD : Seagate 2TB 7200 rpm SATA III

because im somewhat short of money, ill upgrade my GPU some time in the future.

my question is:

Is it better for me to buy one more GTX 970 (SLI) or buy GTX 1070 in term of bottleneck or anything else ?

Please Advise and Thank You

One GPU. SLI only works when it does (that's where driver update comes in), and two GPUs usually does 180% ish rather than 200%, again, when it works.

8 hours ago, siddzk said:

I got i5 7500 And 1050ti Oc model with 8 Gb 2133 Ram

I use the Rig mostly for gaming like CSGO and PUBG and light Video Editing!

i Also tried streaming games on the rig but the experience was RIP.

what is the bottle neck here?

Are you stuttering in CSGO or PUGB alone? if it's only when streaming then what are your streaming settings?

(also pointing to entire system in general for streaming, but let's see what you're working with first)

8 hours ago, fabes said:

i just bought a gtx 1080 and i have a i5 7500 is my cpu good enough for my gpu or will it bottle neck my fps? 

which game and program are you using?

8 hours ago, Brutipati01 said:

Hey! i'd like to know if my oc is bottlenecking.

CPU: i5 4750K

GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

Ram: 8GB DDR3

And i also play in 1080p and high/ultra settings

I also dont have a cpu cooler i use the stock one so there could be thermal throttling as well.

which game are you playing? how bad is the framerate? are you okay with medium settings?

7 hours ago, Koro said:

I want to know if the system I built has a major botteneck
CPU: AMD A10 7870K
GPU: ZOTAC 1060 3GB
RAM: 8GB

on which game and program?

7 hours ago, Doniy said:

Hi i'm new here.

I Have the MSI GT 72VR 7RE Dominator Pro  I7 7700 32GB RAM and a GTX1070 and i would like to know if my masive frame rate drops (for example BF1 on Ultra from 90 ish drops like to 30 or even 20)  are related with some kind of spontaneous Bottlenecking at some point.

do you have a detailed graphics setting in BF1? are you playing on a hard surface or on your bed?

6 hours ago, Drift1233 said:

I'm planning to build a rig with 16gb of ddr4 ram, gtx 1070 8gb, and a Intel core i5-8500 6 core cpu. Will there be any bottlenecking in my new rig?

what will you be using your rig for? (and maybe which games?)

3 hours ago, LUX1337 said:

Hello, newbie here.

Does my CPU bottleneck my GPU? or any other part in my rig?

Specs:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (GP104-200)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K @3.50 GHz (overclocked it to 4.20 GHz)

RAM: 4x Kingston 99U5471-020.A00LF 4 GB DDR3-1333

Drives: 

yy714s6.png.6ecf27c9807d016fb9e55b7b858d38e5.png

Thanks for any help in advance.

Back up all your data on your Hitachi HDD. come back later.

3 hours ago, Alogio12 said:

Can you guys help me out? Tried thebottlenecker.com and it shows that i have a 5% bottleneck on my system over the previous one that has a 1% bottleneck( sapphire r9 380 nitro oc). Budget System is as follows

ryzen 3 1200 stock

2x4 gb 2400mhz ballistix sport lt memory

Sapphire r9 290x tri x oc

3x 7200 rpm mechanical hdds

which game or program do you want to run?

just to start off, you're looking at longer load times with the HDDs, but don't entirely exclude them from your system. use them for general storage.

3 hours ago, EmberKnight said:

i have the asus gtx 1080Ti and an i78700k with 16gb trident z ram and i normal play games on ultra has that got any bottle necks?

if you're around 60 or 120 fps stable you should do fine. if you're experiencing stutters, which game is it?

3 hours ago, Uzair anwar said:

im using a ryzen 3 1200 oc @ 3.8Ghz and a gtx 1060 3 Gb oc at 2012 Mhz clock and 4788 Mhz memory clock were do you think is the bottleneck

for which game or program?

2 hours ago, BobJamison said:

Am i bottlenecked? My rig is for only gaming and light youtube watching. i7 6700, 16GB DDR4 2400, GTX 1060 6GB, Gigabyte H270 gaming 3 motherboard, 512GB m.2 boot drive, 1TB m.2 game drive, NZXT Kraken X62 AIO for cpu.

which game is this for?

1 hour ago, Rafi01 said:

Hello everyone, i nees some help on my setup. 

I use it to play mostly Rainbow six siege a very demanding game. 

I am bottknecking somewhere and i think it is on ram but also something else could you guys pls help me out. 

My config: 

gtx 1070Ti 

I7 7700

8Go DDR4 2133

b250m pro-vd 

I run a 2k asus monitor

when and how often does it stutter while playing Rainbow 6 Siege? (also is your game on an SSD?)

1 hour ago, alienMidget said:

i run pubg high settings on G4560 paired with gtx1060  is this bad ?

what are your RAM and storage specs? PUGB is pretty object0intensive (like GTA) so my first guess would point to the CPU

TFL;DFR:

• If you're not stuttering or noticing it, don't look too hard into it and turn off the frame counter.
  • if you're looking to speed up a very long waiting process, post what you're wanting to do, and the specs of the entire system (CPU; GPU; RAM; Motherboard; Storage setup (including any NAS you have))
  • if your game is stuttering, or if you're looking to increase your FPS (out of the cinematic or even powerpoint slide framerate), please post:
    • System specs (CPU; GPU; RAM; Motherboard; Storage setup)
    • your graphics settings (of the game)
    • any specific points where the game slows. can be a level or a short period or even the loading screen.
  • if you're feeling shocks when you touch your PC, PLEASE DO NOT OPEN YOUR POWER SUPPLY. Make a new thread for help.
  • if this is your first time here, Hello! do have a look around in the forum outside this thread! https://linustechtips.com/main/
    there's more to bottlenecks, like watercooling and phones and wireless electricity! keep that mind open and ask when you need!
2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

TFL;DFR:

• If you're not stuttering or noticing it, don't look too hard into it and turn off the frame counter.
  • if you're looking to speed up a very long waiting process, post what you're wanting to do, and the specs of the entire system (CPU GPU RAM Motherboard Storage)
  • if you're feeling shocks when you touch your PC PLEASE DO NOT OPEN YOUR PSU.
  • if this is your first time here, Hello! do have a look around in the forum outside this thread! https://linustechtips.com/main/

Well my system is primarily used for gaming but I do a bit of work in photoshop as well and will be doing some 3D work on it at some point, the specs are:

CPU: Core i5-2500K

GPU: GTX 1060

RAM: 8GB DDR3

M/B: ASUS P8P67

Storage: Seagate 500GB mechanical HDD

I'm inclined to think that HDD is bottlenecking the system at this point due to long load times in games and I will be upgrading to an SSD or two at some point anyway and I'm also looking at upgrading the RAM as well.

20 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

One GPU. SLI only works when it does (that's where driver update comes in), and two GPUs usually does 180% ish rather than 200%, again, when it works.

so is it better for me to sold my gtx 970 and buy just 1 gpu ?
im only using my pc for gaming (like Dota 2, FF-XV, Dying Light, The Forest, Monster Hunter&Fallout 76 (when it released)) and watch some movie without editing anything.

Just now, Terminusaquo said:

Well my system is primarily used for gaming but I do a bit of work in photoshop as well and will be doing some 3D work on it at some point, the specs are:

CPU: Core i5-2500K

GPU: GTX 1060

RAM: 8GB DDR3

M/B: ASUS P8P67

Storage: Seagate 500GB mechanical HDD

I'm inclined to think that HDD is bottlenecking the system at this point due to long load times in games and I will be upgrading to an SSD or two at some point anyway and I'm also looking at upgrading the RAM as well.

yeah long loading times does point to the HDD. save up for a well-sized SSD if you can. look into RAID for multiple HDDs next time.

other than that, you should already do fine in photoshop, other than RAM (especially when you have chrome in the background for image reference). Once you're about to start 3D work consider getting more RAM, since you'll be opening both PS and your 3D program at the same time. Start with 16GB, plan for 32GB next time afterwards when projects start getting bigger.

you should already do fine for most games in medium with a 1060. however if your 3D project has a large polycount or if you're working into large 3D sculpting work (usually in ZBrush or Sculptris) then the VRAM capacity in your GPU will matter, because that's where all the graphical data is.

Start with the SSD first. I'm not too inclined to suggest buying more RAM when it's for a DDR3 system (I'd rather you put it towards the RAM budget for a more recent system).

(which 3D program is this by the way?)

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah long loading times does point to the HDD. save up for a well-sized SSD if you can. look into RAID for multiple HDDs next time.

other than that, you should already do fine in photoshop, other than RAM (especially when you have chrome in the background for image reference). Once you're about to start 3D work consider getting more RAM, since you'll be opening both PS and your 3D program at the same time. Start with 16GB, plan for 32GB next time afterwards when projects start getting bigger.

you should already do fine for most games in medium with a 1060. however if your 3D project has a large polycount or if you're working into large 3D sculpting work (usually in ZBrush or Sculptris) then the VRAM capacity in your GPU will matter, because that's where all the graphical data is.

Start with the SSD first. I'm not too inclined to suggest buying more RAM when it's for a DDR3 system (I'd rather you put it towards the RAM budget for a more recent system).

(which 3D program is this by the way?)

It's 3Ds Max which was running on this system before. I have checked up on RAM for this system and I can get more if I need to but I understand what you're saying. I will probably keep the 500GB HDD as a scratch disk for Photoshop and temporary working disk for 3Ds Max.

2 minutes ago, mycodeis007 said:

so is it better for me to sold my gtx 970 and buy just 1 gpu ?
im only using my pc for gaming (like Dota 2, FF-XV, Dying Light, The Forest, Monster Hunter&Fallout 76 (when it released)) and watch some movie without editing anything.

yes, especially when you don't want to spend the time troubleshooting or waiting it out for SLI-related problems in freshly released games. also not all programs do SLI (outside of games, and some games don't SLI well too so)

you should do fine after you managed to get the 1070 (or equivalent). take your time to sell the 970. keeping a level head is important.

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yes, especially when you don't want to spend the time troubleshooting or waiting it out for SLI-related problems in freshly released games. also not all programs do SLI (outside of games, and some games don't SLI well too so)

you should do fine after you managed to get the 1070 (or equivalent). take your time to sell the 970. keeping a level head is important.

ok,

Thank You for your help...!!!

59 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Yeah a new(er) CPU and motherboard would help alleviate things a bit. Keep in mind most common modern systems run on DDR4, so you'd be looking at a new system

do you have a framerate number while you're in farming simulator? if it's about 50 to 70fps you should really do fine ._.

(do also make a new thread in New Builds and Planning if you decide to start planning your upgrade https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/)

I'm currently getting 40-60FPS but not on the highest settings, the games sometimes drops hard in framerate if there are alot of objects/vehicles present. Also somehow there is alot of horizontal tearing, the refresh rate for the screen is setup correctly and I do not have this problem in games like Starcraft 2.
Also, looking at the big changes to the engine and additions in the upcoming game. I'm somewhat doubtfull the system will still handle the game at this resolution.
I'll start a new thread once the upgrade starts. I'm hoping to re-use as much as possible parts(PSU/GPU/SSD's/Case/CPU cooler).

3 minutes ago, WarKel said:

I'm currently getting 40-60FPS but not on the highest settings, the games sometimes drops hard in framerate if there are alot of objects/vehicles present.

oh okay I just had a look at the game images, and it looks pretty grassy there o_o

thing now is choosing between a higher clockspeed or more cores, but I don't think I can find any solid answers on this. sorry ,_,

3 minutes ago, WarKel said:

Also somehow there is alot of horizontal tearing, the refresh rate for the screen is setup correctly and I do not have this problem in games like Starcraft 2.

check the graphics settings in-game. you should be looking for vsync or vertical sync. turn that on

18 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:
29 minutes ago, WarKel said:

I'm currently getting 40-60FPS but not on the highest settings, the games sometimes drops hard in framerate if there are alot of objects/vehicles present.

oh okay I just had a look at the game images, and it looks pretty grassy there o_o

thing now is choosing between a higher clockspeed or more cores, but I don't think I can find any solid answers on this. sorry ,_,

Also somehow there is alot of horizontal tearing, the refresh rate for the screen is setup correctly and I do not have this problem in games like Starcraft 2.

check the graphics settings in-game. you should be looking for vsync or vertical sync. turn that on

Thank you! I shall give that a try. I'll look into choosing a CPU trough the builders forum. I think my budget only lets me get an i5 of some sorts. But the suggested 6core one from thebottlenecker website looks fine.
Again thank you for the reply's!