Is Your Gaming Rig Being Bottlenecked??

anyone have issues with youtube.. that sometimes it slows down to load a video.. Im using google chrome ive tried everything i can think of and I also switched to google chrome beta still happens some times..

1 hour ago, psycoclown said:

found this a while ago it may help some people

http://thebottlenecker.com/

U know what's weird? It says that my 1700X is being bottlenecked by my GT 1030, thats strange as the 1030 is never bottlenecking my i9 7980XE, as I am always able to get frames above 10 fps.

5 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

it told me I should get a 1080Ti lol

I filled in that I had a 1080 ti and it told me to get a 1080 ti :dry:

43 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

And that's why I tell people to focus on the PSU first. It's the lifeblood of any PC and a quality one is critical. 

I built a system about a year and a half ago for a friend. It was a modest system with an Athlon X4 and GTX 1050 Ti (originally would've gone with a 1050, but found the Ti as an open-box at Micro Center for 105 USD). But the power supply is an EVGA 650 G2 - gold rated with a 10 year warranty. Overkill for that build? Absolutely. But I also know I won't have any issues with upgrades in the future - she's never going to be running top-tier anything, so I don't have to worry too much.

While Skylake was the top dog on the shelf, I was getting into arguments with people with "limited budget" challenges who couldn't fathom why I'd be willing to avoid getting the Skylake i3 and spend so much of a budget on a power supply and chassis (somewhere around 150 USD). And again avoid even the i3 and go with either used hardware or an Athlon or FX processor with decent cooling. Holy hell, the things they were saying in response. With one person even telling me that if you can't afford even the Skylake i3, then you can't afford to build a PC, and I was just like... holy elitist, Batman!

Which, I've noted, many of the people who throw around the word "bottleneck" tend to be have very elitist and fanboyish attitudes. Especially given how anti-AMD a lot of people were (especially on this forum...) prior to Ryzen launching. That something better is available seemed more important than whether the existing AMD processors or used hardware was still workable. And that something else being more important than the processor and graphics card seemed unfathomable.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

So I built a new system at the beginning of the summer and reused my old GPU as a placeholder until I had funds to get a new one. Currently I'm using a ryzen 1600 and an R7 250x ( I know its old). My method for saving money for this is simple, I use the acorns app that does a "keep the change" transfer for me to an account accruing about $30-$50 bucks a month depending on my spending habits.  Currently I'm setting at $170 USD. So around October I could buy a 1060, which I think is the best option to make a balanced system. 

In your opinion is there a lesser card that would be balanced like a rx 580? is the price point worth it?

And the million dollar question, 1160/2060 is the "mid-tier" upgrade card is rumored to  come out when I'm ready to buy. So what are the specs on that thing predicted to be and price?

Ok I'm running a radeon RX 460, with a cor i-5 7400, is there any bottlenecking happening 

2 minutes ago, Hahagavin said:

Ok I'm running a radeon RX 460, with a cor i-5 7400, is there any bottlenecking happening 

Do you like the performance you're getting with that combination? That is what matters more.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

3 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

Do you like the performance you're getting with that combination? That is what matters more.

I'm running ok, I feel like my load times take a little too long and some games run at an unusually slow fps

need to know how much my hard drive bottlenecks my pc

i5 7600k OC @ 4.8ghz

gtx 1070 FE

16 gb DDR4 2800 mhz

Z270 k motherboard

Seagate 1TB barracuda HDD 2014 edition  = the bottneck

How does this lower performance of my other parts??

5 minutes ago, smokeogwithanog said:

need to know how much my hard drive bottlenecks my pc

i5 7600k OC @ 4.8ghz

gtx 1070 FE

16 gb DDR4 2800 mhz

Z270 k motherboard

Seagate 1TB barracuda HDD 2014 edition  = the bottneck

How does this lower performance of my other parts??

Storage speed only affects loading times. Doesn't affect performance in games as long as you are within your ram and vram physical limits.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

I've been in the dark about this for a while and I figured I might as well join now and ask because it's starting to bother me. My system is currently an older one with an i7-4790, 16gb of DDR3, and a GTX 1080. I play competitive Overwatch at extremely high FPS at 1080p.

I have almost all of my in-game settings on low and my FPS is generally hovering around 230ish when in a team fight. I have been considering upgrading to an i7-8700k and 16gb of DDR4 finally but I want to be sure that I actually need to.

Other than Overwatch I don't play very many games. Sometimes some Rainbow 6: Seige but I'm almost exclusively an Overwatch player. I edit and render videos as a hobby but it's not that big of a problem for me right now with my current setup.

What sort of gains should I expect to see with an 8700k? Should I even worry about it?

Screenshot (1440).png

Screenshot (1439).png

can someone tell me if my system is bottlenecking? it has a Core 2 Dou 2.00Ghz, ATI Mobility radeon HD 3400 graphics 256Mb and 4Gb Ram.

i'm thinking to buy a core 2 Q9100 quad 2.26Ghz.

im pretty sure that my hdd is also a bottleneck.

Will a Gtx 1070ti be a serious bottleneck for a ryzen 5 1600? Im just wondering what card to buy cause i'm using a gtx 650ti at the moment and desperately need an upgrade

My CPU and GPU is bottlenecking my SSD when I'm playing games. That means I should upgrade those :3

:)

I have a lot of questions about bottlenecks if anyone can help. 

I currently have an i7 4770k and a gtx 770. It’s doing ok so far but I want a 1080. Will this cause any bottleneck and should just get a new system with the 8700k with the 1080 or the the i9 and 1180 when they come out?

This video was kinda informative and yet not, but it did gave me another insight on what you should carefully consider when buying parts. Of course as Linus himself said already, there's no way you will be getting a more balanced system. You'll always will have a bottleneck regardless, but you can at least try to minimize it by 'carefully' choosing the parts. I myself have a Intel Core i3 8350K processor together with a 1050 Ti GPU which fall under the same price category (if the pricing is still the same by now). Still, prices in this case don't matter that much but it can give you some sight on what the quality might be. I myself probably will have some bottleneck, but for the things I do, I personally don't see any problems.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

So I've got an old system I built back in 2011 ish. It still runs games great, but I'm wanting to get into a "hyperthreaded" cpu since it's just a quad. The platform consists of an AMD Phenom II 965BE (OC'd to 3.7 gHz) with 16g of corsair vengeance RAM, a 250g Samsung Evo SSD, and a Gigabyte R9 390 8gb.

I was hoping to upgrade to a threadripper (because why not, and 1/2 the price of an I7 still) and build another 5+ year capable rig. Obviously RAM and GPU availability are keeping me from upgrading, but I'd still like to. Would the R9 390 work okay on this setup? Assuming I get 16gb of decent RAM to go with the Threadripper? Maybe go with the 3.8Ghz 1900x instead of the 1950X?

I have i3 6100 and gtx 1050ti and when I play csgo I get fucking below 140fps playing at 4:3 1024x768 black bars all low multi core rendering enabled. I have budget of $300 for cpu+motherboard willing to buy ryzen or intel. My motherboard rn doesn’t support the coffee lake processors so that’s why I’m willing buying new motherboard. What’s the best cpu+motherboard combo for under 300 bucks and is a 7700k worth it? Because with my motherboard I can upgrade to that. Or is ryzen 7 1700x good or i5 8400? Help pls

Does no one read my posts?

CPUs bottleneck refresh rate/max potential fps

GPU's bottleneck Resolution/Quality Settings

And there can even just be Game Engine limitations.

also your monitor can be a "bottleneck" in that you do not need a GTX 1080 and an 8700K for a 1080p 60hz monitor.

4 hours ago, aezakmi said:

found this a while ago it may help some people

http://thebottlenecker.com/

That website

userbenchmark

GPUboss

and CPU boss are all basically useless

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, Dave1337 said:

how's my setup? 

screenshot.png

1.57 GHz with a 1080??

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Current Setup:
CPU: i5 4670k non-OC

RAM: 16gb 1600mhz DDR3

GPU: R9 280x

1080p@60hz Monitor

My future plan:
Buying a 21:9 monitor (3440x1440@120hz, gsync)

Buying a next generation GPU on the level of a 1080 ti or 1080 (1180 or 1170. I know that they are not even announced yet, but I can wait, even one year.)

Considering that I will play at a rather high resolution, will my CPU bottleneck my new GPU?

so is there a good chance my 2600K is bottlenecking my gtx 1060 OC?

19 minutes ago, thx4nothing said:

5 minutes ago, slider_aus said:

so is there a good chance my 2600K is bottlenecking my gtx 1060 OC?

Damn it Linus.

Your CPU will determine what your max fps can be

If you are trying to get 60fps any modern quad core will likely be fine, past that it's a matter of how much you care about the best 144hz gaming with coffee lake, or just pretty good gaming on an R5 2600 for modern CPUs.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?