Canada's first eSports stadium to be opened in Richmond BC!

MrrMoose
3 hours ago, Hellion said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stadium

When did the definition of stadium change ?

Also the number of systems doesn't determine whether or not it's considered a lan...

Quite frankly I could care less what people enjoy. If you like watching others play video games it's no skin off my teeth. The part I have a problem with is even remotely using terminology such as "sports" and "stadium" to describe playing video games or an event based around such. It's a bunch of marketing bullshit.

People host concerts at stadiums all the time. To say that you can't call a building a stadium just because it doesn't spectate a sport is dumb tbh. I don't get why people get worked up about dumb stuff like this. Yeah let's get upset about people not using the terminology that I agree with. There are so many more important issues in life and whether this is a stadium or if esports is a sport is not one of them. 

22 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

I'm a gamer, have been since I was a teen going downtown to play pinball machines.

I have also led a physically active life.

Long distance cycling, rock climbing, etc.

Playing a computer game is not a sport, it is a game.

sport
spôrt/
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Egames

There, isn't that better?

Or maybe who cares? Why does it even matter? Anyways I think people should just agree to disagree and be done with it. 

oh this is actually pretty interesting, but 250 people seems kinda small especially with the growth E-sports has been seeing recently, I wonder if its this small because they aren't confident in esports potential, or they just want to see how this turns out. 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

9 hours ago, Hellion said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stadium

When did the definition of stadium change ?

Also the number of systems doesn't determine whether or not it's considered a lan...

Quite frankly I could care less what people enjoy. If you like watching others play video games it's no skin off my teeth. The part I have a problem with is even remotely using terminology such as "sports" and "stadium" to describe playing video games or an event based around such. It's a bunch of marketing bullshit.

It's number 3 on the list. Pretty much.

It's not sports though. It's esports. Notice the e. It's all the distinction you need. Stadiums these days host a lot of events including non-sporting. They're quite versatile.

So when you go to a LAN event you expect to be watching only? You expect that only a select few get to participate?  The LANs you go to require qualification? Interesting.

Everything is marketing bullshit. Welcome to the modern world.

11 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

People host concerts at stadiums all the time. To say that you can't call a building a stadium just because it doesn't spectate a sport is dumb tbh. I don't get why people get worked up about dumb stuff like this. Yeah let's get upset about people not using the terminology that I agree with. There are so many more important issues in life and whether this is a stadium or if esports is a sport is not one of them. 

If you don't know the difference between voicing an opinion and "getting worked up" you shouldn't be commenting on a discussion regarding definitions it's "dumb tbh".

That aside since there's no physical fitness element to sitting on your ass pressing buttons it's quite clear video games are an activity not a sport. Claiming otherwise is desperately reaching for the sake of larger appeal. Spectators of actual sports basically rolls their eyes every time they hear the term "esports" for a reason.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

6 hours ago, Trixanity said:

It's number 3 on the list. Pretty much.

It's not sports though. It's esports. Notice the e. It's all the distinction you need. Stadiums these days host a lot of events including non-sporting. They're quite versatile.

So when you go to a LAN event you expect to be watching only? You expect that only a select few get to participate?  The LANs you go to require qualification? Interesting.

Everything is marketing bullshit. Welcome to the modern world.

No,  it's not actually.

I don't see anywhere that mentions video games in the terminology.

Also "esports" still contains the word "sport" in case you didn't happen to notice which is not only inaccurate but also unnecessary.

Call it what it is: a lan tournament.

41 minutes ago, Hellion said:

No,  it's not actually.

I don't see anywhere that mentions video games in the terminology.

Also "esports" still contains the word "sport" in case you didn't happen to notice which is not only inaccurate but also unnecessary.

Call it what it is: a lan tournament.

I don't see anywhere it mentions football, hockey or any other sport either. The only one mentioned is pretty much track and field sports dating back to ancient Greece but modern stadiums and sports don't really look all that similar to those from millennia ago.

So I take it email is a forbidden word in your vocabulary and that you publicly chastise anyone using the term.

It's a LAN tournament, sure, but that's a very vague non-descript way of putting it. And since some components of some tournaments take place online or off-stage it wouldn't really match the description all the time despite being part of the same event.

I guess the dictionary has to explicitly mention every possible example for it to ring true in your ears which is an astonishingly naive understanding of how languages function and evolve.

And yes, it is actually.

1 hour ago, Hellion said:

If you don't know the difference between voicing an opinion and "getting worked up" you shouldn't be commenting on a discussion regarding definitions it's "dumb tbh".

That aside since there's no physical fitness element to sitting on your ass pressing buttons it's quite clear video games are an activity not a sport. Claiming otherwise is desperately reaching for the sake of larger appeal. Spectators of actual sports basically rolls their eyes every time they hear the term "esports" for a reason.

So golf, racing and multiple other sports are not sports either? Just need clarification on this so we can start our campaigns to remove these non-sporting activities from the list.

33 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

So golf, racing and multiple other sports are not sports either? Just need clarification on this so we can start our campaigns to remove these non-sporting activities from the list.

Racing is physically exerting though. Just think about the G forces pulling you in all directions. And it’s hard on the back and butt. Because everything in a race car is so firm. 

3 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Racing is physically exerting though. Just think about the G forces pulling you in all directions. And it’s hard on the back and butt. Because everything in a race car is so firm. 

Ah, so rollercoasters are sports too then?

15 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

I'm a gamer, have been since I was a teen going downtown to play pinball machines.

sport
spôrt/
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Egames

You do know that reflexes and physical speed matter a huge amount in competitive gaming, right?  That a StarCraft II player's actions per minute is often a deciding factor in their matches?  That players often have dedicated coaches and training regimens?  Sure sounds like a sport to me.

This reminds me more than a little of the "electronic music isn't music" arguments from a couple of decades ago, where people insisted that 'real' music needed conventional physical instruments.  It's an attempt to delegitimize a cultural shift you're not comfortable with.  Rather than clinging to a rigid definition of what sports are and deciding that something doesn't count, maybe we should question our definition of what a sport is?  This doesn't mean you have to be completely loose with it (chess is about the opposite of physical), but do keep an open mind.

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I don't see anywhere it mentions football, hockey or any other sport either. The only one mentioned is pretty much track and field sports dating back to ancient Greece but modern stadiums and sports don't really look all that similar to those from millennia ago.

So I take it email is a forbidden word in your vocabulary and that you publicly chastise anyone using the term.

It's a LAN tournament, sure, but that's a very vague non-descript way of putting it. And since some components of some tournaments take place online or off-stage it wouldn't really match the description all the time despite being part of the same event.

I guess the dictionary has to explicitly mention every possible example for it to ring true in your ears which is an astonishingly naive understanding of how languages function and evolve.

And yes, it is actually.

It mentions sport though which hockey and football fall under based on the definition of sport provided previously by another user.

The fact I have to keep going back to definitions because you have a hard time comprehending them is getting old. You're reaching nearly as bad as the promoters of these events at this point.

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Golf is an activity.

What kind of racing are you referring to exactly?

A bike race like the tour de france is a sport. Driving a car around a track is an activity.

It's pretty straight forward again going back to the definition of a sport...

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

You do know that reflexes and physical speed matter a huge amount in competitive gaming, right?  That a StarCraft II player's actions per minute is often a deciding factor in their matches?  That players often have dedicated coaches and training regimens?  Sure sounds like a sport to me.

This reminds me more than a little of the "electronic music isn't music" arguments from a couple of decades ago, where people insisted that 'real' music needed conventional physical instruments.  It's an attempt to delegitimize a cultural shift you're not comfortable with.  Rather than clinging to a rigid definition of what sports are and deciding that something doesn't count, maybe we should question our definition of what a sport is?  This doesn't mean you have to be completely loose with it (chess is about the opposite of physical), but do keep an open mind.

So are we going to start calling chess a sport now too? At what point does it become completely ridiculous?

The new generation taking part in something like lan tournaments need to understand that sitting at a computer is no where near comparable to what a real athlete does. Quite frankly I'd find it offensive to listen to these fools try and justify this stance if I was a professional athlete.

11 minutes ago, Hellion said:

Golf is an activity.

What kind of racing are you referring to exactly?

A bike race like the tour de france is a sport. Driving a car around a track is an activity.

It's pretty straight forward again going back to the definition of a sport...

Golf is an Olympic sport. Racing cars is recognized as a sport. Shooting is an Olympic sport. Pretty much anything involving horses is an Olympic sport.

You don't seem to know much about sports despite claiming otherwise. Unless you mean to tell me you're the utmost authority on what is and what isn't a sport and therefore supercede the IOC and all other organizations.

9 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Golf is an Olympic sport. Racing cars is recognized as a sport. Shooting is an Olympic sport. Pretty much anything involving horses is an Olympic sport.

You don't seem to know much about sports despite claiming otherwise. Unless you mean to tell me you're the utmost authority on what is and what isn't a sport and therefore supercede the IOC and all other organizations.

The ioc is full of a bunch of new age dumbasses that don't have a clue what they are doing any more. They are constantly adding and removing what they choose to support at the Olympic games and come under heavy scrutiny each time it happens.

I would hardly recognized them as an authority on the matter. They couldn't even come to an agreement with the NHL to include the best hockey players in the world last year. As someone that has held season tickets for nearly a decade to my local team I am quite informed on the matter.

1 minute ago, Hellion said:

The ioc is full of a bunch of new age dumbasses that don't have a clue what they are doing any more. They are constantly adding and removing what they choose to support at the Olympic games and come under heavy scrutiny each time it happens.

I would hardly recognized them as an authority on the matter. They couldn't even come to an agreement with the NHL to include the best hockey players in the world last year. As someone that has held season tickets for nearly a decade to my local team I am quite informed on the matter.

I figured as much. 

Basically 'old man yells at cloud'.

It's a bit hard to bow to your supposed authority based on the idea that since you paid some cash to watch your local team and gaining whatever knowledge of the activity would grant you insight as to what is right and what is not.

Perhaps it's rather that you're stuck in a bubble and that everything should remain as it is and it shall always be that way.

It's like the very idea that someone else starts something new somehow encroaches on whatever thing you like despite that there is very little reason to believe that it will have any impact on your life whatsoever yet you must act to make sure it does not have the audacity to expand and achieve legitimacy.

Sounds familiar. 

4 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I figured as much. 

Basically 'old man yells at cloud'.

It's a bit hard to bow to your supposed authority based on the idea that since you paid some cash to watch your local team and gaining whatever knowledge of the activity would grant you insight as to what is right and what is not.

Perhaps it's rather that you're stuck in a bubble and that everything should remain as it is and it shall always be that way.

It's like the very idea that someone else starts something new somehow encroaches on whatever thing you like despite that there is very little reason to believe that it will have any impact on your life whatsoever yet you must act to make sure it does not have the audacity to expand and achieve legitimacy.

Sounds familiar. 

Just because you fail to acknowledge that damages are taking place doesn't mean they aren't happening.

I could argue the exact opposite of your point. That including the term sport to describe this delegitimizes actual athletes that have devoted their entire lives and sacrificed childhoods from early single digit ages to achieve what they have accomplished.

There's no reason this can't be called a lan tournament. Quite frankly I've come to the conclusion that the only reason they included the word "sport" to describe the event is to draw attention. In a world of social media that seems to be what this age group thrives on.

1 minute ago, Hellion said:

Just because you fail to acknowledge that damages are taking place doesn't mean they aren't happening.

I could argue the exact opposite of your point. That including the term sport to describe this delegitimizes actual athletes that have devoted their entire lives and sacrificed childhoods from early single digit ages to achieve what they have accomplished.

There's no reason this can't be called a lan tournament. Quite frankly I've come to the conclusion that the only reason they included the word "sport" to describe the event is to draw attention. In a world of social media that seems to be what this age group thrives on.

What damages? Please describe how esports damage hockey. 

It's not called sports. It's called esports. For one simple reason: it's separate from sports. It's a reasonable description of the format. That doesn't take anything away from anyone. You just want to make it so.

What's this 'age group'? You realize the first batch of players are already in their late 30s if not 40s, right? It's been around for a reasonably long time all things considered. The only thing different is its growth and accessibility.

LAN tournament would be stupid because it does not encompass online play. You don't seem to know the thing you're against.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

What damages? Please describe how esports damage hockey. 

It's not called sports. It's called esports. For one simple reason: it's separate from sports. It's a reasonable description of the format. That doesn't take anything away from anyone. You just want to make it so.

What's this 'age group'? You realize the first batch of players are already in their late 30s if not 40s, right? It's been around for a reasonably long time all things considered. The only thing different is its growth and accessibility.

LAN tournament would be stupid because it does not encompass online play. You don't seem to know the thing you're against.

I'm not talking about every Tom,  Dick and Harry to ever play a video game here. I'm specifically referencing these events that take place in a single location. This was originally about the term "stadium".

If you want to include online play which from my understanding is frowned upon at that level due to the excuse of latency over the internet then that's fine.  Call it a video game tournament. Your getting caught up on the term "lan" here.

"Esports" still has the word sport in it. This delegitimizes what actual athletes that participate in sports professionally do for a living.

What do you not understand about this?

How many gamers do you know that are paid millions by their employer on a contract basis because they have developed a skill set that required 15+ years of physically busting their ass every day to achieve?

It's not comparable and therfore including the word sport in "esport" is an embarrassment.

5 minutes ago, Hellion said:

I'm not talking about every Tom,  Dick and Harry to ever play a video game here. I'm specifically referencing these events that take place in a single location. This was originally about the term "stadium".

If you want to include online play which from my understanding is frowned upon at that level due to the excuse of latency over the internet then that's fine.  Call it a video game tournament. Your getting caught up on the term "lan" here.

"Esports" still has the word sport in it. This delegitimizes what actual athletes that participate in sports professionally do for a living.

What do you not understand about this?

How many gamers do you know that are paid millions by their employer on a contract basis because they have developed a skill set that required 15+ years of physically busting their ass every day to achieve?

It's not comparable and therfore including the word sport in "esport" is an embarrassment.

If you're talking stadium, then today's stadiums are used primarily for sports but generally find a broader use for big events including esports. If you're talking esports, it'll have its own definition since it doesn't call itself sport. Languages, and therefore dictionaries, are fluid. Things get added, removed, replaced, changed and so on.

Any big event will be local pretty much but logistically it would be a nightmare (currently) to have everything done on location. 

Funny you talk about being hung up on a word when you're arguing that a word has hijacked another's merits. We could almost call it cultural appropriation if you will.

Many people bust their ass in different ways to make a living. And all spent multiple years to get there. Basically you're undermining someone else's achievements or work by implying it's less valuable. Athletes make money based on popularity. Some gamers make millions but I'd say they're few and none make that in salary that I'm aware. Not yet.

You're the only one going esports = sports linguistically but esports != sports physically. 

It's separated by a cleverly placed 'e'. Separated in many ways beyond that.

But that's how language works.

Either way, I like how you tried to legitimize something based on how inflated the numbers are. While the money itself does create legitimacy, it's not the only factor.

4 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Ah, so rollercoasters are sports too then?

Because riding a roller coaster you literally cannot crash or drive faster is as easy as riding a motorcycle at 200 kph and cornering with all of your body. 

Just ignore that Hellion guy -.- He has his opinion and everyone else has theirs. Leave it at that.

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

If you're talking stadium, then today's stadiums are used primarily for sports but generally find a broader use for big events including esports. If you're talking esports, it'll have its own definition since it doesn't call itself sport. Languages, and therefore dictionaries, are fluid. Things get added, removed, replaced, changed and so on.

Any big event will be local pretty much but logistically it would be a nightmare (currently) to have everything done on location. 

Funny you talk about being hung up on a word when you're arguing that a word has hijacked another's merits. We could almost call it cultural appropriation if you will.

Many people bust their ass in different ways to make a living. And all spent multiple years to get there. Basically you're undermining someone else's achievements or work by implying it's less valuable. Athletes make money based on popularity. Some gamers make millions but I'd say they're few and none make that in salary that I'm aware. Not yet.

You're the only one going esports = sports linguistically but esports != sports physically. 

It's separated by a cleverly placed 'e'. Separated in many ways beyond that.

But that's how language works.

Either way, I like how you tried to legitimize something based on how inflated the numbers are. While the money itself does create legitimacy, it's not the only factor.

Your still ignoring the definition of the word that is the most prominent part of "esports". Rather then accepting that the name is ridiculous because it has little to nothing in common with actual sports, you're attempting to justify the term by substituting your own make believe reality and a bunch of excuses.

So far we have determined that there is no physically demanding element involved, no life long commitment, no valuable skill set that makes the participants employable for large dollar figures and I'm sure if we continue the list will go on.

By your standard of "language evolves so definitions mean nothing",  I guess we might as well start calling board games "bsports", crossword puzzles "csports" and model building "msports".

Excuse me while I take my suit to the tailor so he can perform some "ssports".

This is essentially the logic behind what your argumention has become...

22 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

sport
spôrt/
noun

Egames

It's almost as if words can change their meanings over time...

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!