Windows 10 100% disk usage

hello! I'm using a hp laptop with a 7th gen core i5 processor. Windows 10 is installed on a 1TB HDD by the HP. I have serious concern about my disk usage because it always stuck at 100%. I had this problem around 6 to 7 month ago. I was able to reinstall the OS using hp recovery tool because it was brand new at then and I had nothing important on it. But I have the same problem again and I look around the web, there are so many articles about this. But I got nothing! Could any one help me?:(:( 

First of all, if you're not really using this computer for gaming than I suggest you drop Windows. Go with a Linux distro and I can promise you will learn about easy computer care on the software side and not only that but it's very light and you will have so much room for so many things. Look into Ubuntu for a very nice and clean GUI and ease of update and also the security of Linux is unbeatable.

If you can afford it, a 2.5" SSD with a 240GB capacity would give you faster speeds.

hi.

1 hour ago, twistedapple89 said:

First of all, if you're not really using this computer for gaming than I suggest you drop Windows. Go with a Linux distro and I can promise you will learn about easy computer care on the software side and not only that but it's very light and you will have so much room for so many things. Look into Ubuntu for a very nice and clean GUI and ease of update and also the security of Linux is unbeatable.

Linux can be a very difficult transition for some people, so let's focus on fixing this guy's issue, and not being a Linux Prophet. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Try checking the task manager to see what is using up so much of your CPU.  If you don't know how to access the task manager, just press the CTRL, ALT and DELETE keys all at the same time.  When the screen pops up just click on the bottom button for the Task Manager.  The first column that shows your CPU will organize from the top down and you can browse thru the list to see what is using the most of your CPU.  That way you can determine what piece of software is the culprit.

While you are in the Task Manager, you can browse thru the start up list and possibly disable some of the software that automatically runs when the system boots.  

Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

53 minutes ago, Chamidu Udagedara said:

hello! I'm using a hp laptop with a 7th gen core i5 processor. Windows 10 is installed on a 1TB HDD by the HP. I have serious concern about my disk usage because it always stuck at 100%. I had this problem around 6 to 7 month ago. I was able to reinstall the OS using hp recovery tool because it was brand new at then and I had nothing important on it. But I have the same problem again and I look around the web, there are so many articles about this. But I got nothing! Could any one help me?:(:( 

Can you open up Resource Monitor on your pc, and go to the Disk tab. Select the process in the top pane with the highest disk usage (total), and then expand "Disk Activity", sort by Total again, and take a screenshot of it? Like the below picture.

This will allow us to see which application or service is using the majority of your disk resources.

resmon.png

To get the Resource Monitor  ( or any program you need to find )  -- >

Go start  ( Microsoft icon on keyboard )

Type --> resource monitor <--  Just type do nothing more. 

Use mouse to click on name or do enter.

This will have same effect as Task Manager

You may have something running in the background . 

Do anti virus scan  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 9:44 AM, twistedapple89 said:

Unfortunately I use it for occasional gaming  

On 7/5/2018 at 10:29 AM, kb5zue said:

Try checking the task manager to see what is using up so much of your CPU.  If you don't know how to access the task manager, just press the CTRL, ALT and DELETE keys all at the same time.  When the screen pops up just click on the bottom button for the Task Manager.  The first column that shows your CPU will organize from the top down and you can browse thru the list to see what is using the most of your CPU.  That way you can determine what piece of software is the culprit.

While you are in the Task Manager, you can browse thru the start up list and possibly disable some of the software that automatically runs when the system boots.  

Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

In the task manager App called "System" uses the most on disk usage. It can't kill. Do u have any other idea?Thank you!

Disable disk defragmenter. You can disable it in services. Also you can try to disable indexing or just windows search service. Just to be sure if system itself made that problem.

Also - uninstall your AV and check then. It may be the problem (scanning in background).

BTW. Ctrl+Shift+ESC is faster way to run task manager.