Instagram just launched "IGTV" to go head to head with YouTube

Sources: Techcrunch, Instagram Blog

Watch out YouTube, Floatplane IGTV is coming for you now. :P

Instagram  is ready to compete head-on with YouTube. Today at a flashy event in San Francisco, the company announced it will begin allowing users to upload videos up to one hour in length, up from the previous one-minute limit. And to house the new longer-form videos from content creators and the general public, Instagram is launching IGTV. Accessible from a button inside the Instagram homescreen, as well as a standalone app, IGTV will spotlight popular videos from Instagram celebrities.

Oh boy! It looks like we haven't seen the last of Jake and Logan Paul on YouTube making shitty, obnoxious, and disturbing videos while convincing parents to buy their merch while selling shitty songs. Vine is dead, long live IGTV. 

02-20180619-KS-pamelachen-IMG_0157-2160_lo.jpg?w=800

We’re announcing our most exciting feature to date: IGTV, a new app for watching long-form, vertical video from your favorite Instagram creators, like LaurDIY posting her newest project or King Bach sharing his latest comedy skit. While there’s a stand-alone IGTV app, you’ll also be able to watch from within the Instagram app so the entire community of one billion can use it from the very start.

1-EntryPoint-2UP-EN.png?w=1024

We’ve made it simple, too. Just like turning on the TV, IGTV starts playing as soon as you open the app. You don’t have to search to start watching content from people you already follow on Instagram and others you might like based on your interests. You can swipe up to discover more — switch between “For You,” “Following,” “Popular” and “Continue Watching.” You can also like, comment and send videos to friends in Direct.

3-ChannelProfile-2UP-EN.png?w=1024

*That puppy is cute though. :x

So it begs the question, can vertical videos be monetized? Instagram says not yet but it'll come.

“There’s no ads in IGTV today,” says Systrom, but he says it’s “obviously a very reasonable place [for ads] to end up.” He explained that since creators are investing a lot of time into IGTV videos, he wants to make that sustainable by offering them a way to monetize in the future. Instagram isn’t paying any creators directly for IGTV videos either, like Facebook did to jump-start its flopped Facebook Watch video hub.

So if you want to be an insta-famous vlogger in an instant, you need a phone preferably with good front and rear cameras, a 20,000 mAh battery bank and an unlimited data plan (in the US Verizon may have the best coverage but T-Mobile offers the best value, some countries have killed unlimited data though). So if they soon flipped on monetization of vertical IG videos, the creators have an advantage since you can't block ads with an adblocker if Instagram doesn't permit an adblocker to read the app. So yeah, welcome to the next generation of shock-value pandering, talent-less fame whores with millions of followers.

Then there's an issue of adpocalypse. Will IGTV follow with YouTube's monetization practice as well if someone continuously posts disturbing content? I'm pretty sure political/religious commentaries won't even consider a vertical video format.

Looks like YouTube and to some extent Floatplane Media has nothing to worry about...yet.

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Haha

look kids!

More cancer!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

mom, my eyes hurt ,_,

All is fine

don't worry about it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

We’ve made it simple, too. Just like turning on the TV, IGTV starts playing as soon as you open the app.

Eh. I don't get it why would one want this autoplay feature in any app? 

1 hour ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Eh. I don't get it why would one want this autoplay feature in any app? 

I have autoplay on YouTube disabled for both mobile and desktop

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

look kids!

More cancer!

IGTV will pave the way for young talentless vloggers aka people without real jobs that aspire to be wannabe rappers which they can do by paying a ghostwriter. Parents should take control of the phones they bought for their kids and if they start crying, parents can always resort to saying "my money, my house, my bloody rules" and kids can always cry a river but they'll get over it.

I don't understand the hype with these social media platforms. Let's keep feeding the Ego with these garbage services so we can monetize or children's data for a better advertising tomorrow...

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

paying a ghostwriter.

Not even a requirement anymore. You can have a bot do this for free!

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Parentsshould take control of the phones they bought for their kids and if they start crying, parents can always resort to saying "my money, my house, my bloody rules" and kids can always cry a river but they'll get over it.

When you love in a commercial society, this won't happen. Because you'll be compared to the Joneses. It's all about perception, not reality. If you look like you have money and look like you can give every thing to your "angel" children, that's what matters.

Besides, if the adults are to busy making videos and focused Social Media, in sure they aren't paying attention to their children.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I don't understand the hype with these social media platforms. Let's keep feeding the Ego with these garbage services so we can monetize or children's data for a better advertising tomorrow...

While social media turns children's brains to rot and think that being an attention whore vlogger is a real job 

4 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Not even a requirement anymore. You can have a bot do this for free!

I'm not aware of ghostwriting bots. As far as I know the music industry, many wannabe rappers or even singers pay someone to ghostwrite for them and then sign a 360 deal which can give them the exposure they need in exchange of earning too little.

4 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

If you look like you have money and look like you can give every thing to your "angel" children, that's what matters.

Besides, if the adults are to busy making videos and focused Social Media, in sure they aren't paying attention to their children.

No wonder kids nowadays are becoming spoiled brats

42 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I have autoplay on YouTube disabled for both mobile and desktop

Youtube autoplay makes sense compared to this. This feature of playing something as soon as you open the app seems dumb and annoying.