a legit way to get windows or other OS for light gaming

Darth Wilhelm

Hey does anyone have an idea about where to get cheaper (legit) windows keys, failing that is there a good (idiot-proof) cheap operating system which will work with steam origin and the downloadable verson of GOG (forgot the name)? 

- Needs to be completely idiot proof (not MacOs)

- Needs to play well with Steam, Origin and Downloadable GOG

- Needs to be cheap, CHEAPER IS BETTER

Linux. Won't work with all Steam games, but it's completely free and highly customizable.

Either that, or get a Windows key off of Kinguin for super cheap. If you do go the Linux route, though, go for Ubuntu, as IIRC it's the most idiot proof.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Linux works OK for games these days and it's free, plus no Micro$oft telemetry

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

15 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Linux. Won't work with all Steam games, but it's completely free and highly customizable.

Origin isn't supported under Linux.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Origin isn't supported under Linux.

Wine is a thing, you know.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Wine is a thing, you know.

Yes, a poorly-working thing.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, a poorly-working thing.

Yeah but so is Origin

She/they 

10 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Yeah but so is Origin

Adding one poorly working thing to another makes it much worse.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 hour ago, william axton hylle said:

Hey does anyone have an idea about where to get cheaper (legit) windows keys, failing that is there a good (idiot-proof) cheap operating system which will work with steam origin and the downloadable verson of GOG (forgot the name)? 

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Either that, or get a Windows key off of Kinguin for super cheap. If you do go the Linux route, though, go for Ubuntu, as IIRC it's the most idiot proof.

Keys from unauthorized re-sellers such as Kinguin or eBay are not legit. The only legit keys come from authorized retail channels and cost the same as Microsoft charges for them (give or take a few dollar here and there) since Microsoft sets the pricing, similarly to how Apple controls the pricing of their products super strictly.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

If you are in school, you qualify for MS Imagine, where you can get a free license of Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro.

Linux gaming is pretty good. I think Ubuntu is the officially supported Linux “Distro” on steam. Otherwise I think mint is gaining popularity. 

Games like Metro Redux, Rust, Half-Life 2 are all fully windows compatible. 

Edit: LINUX COMPATIBLE... but yes they work on windows too. 

You can get Windows 10 for free from Microsoft's website. If you don't activate it, it will have a watermark and not let you customize some appearance settings for Windows itself and occasionally nag you to go buy it, but otherwise it'll work perfectly fine forever. It's a great budget option and you can always buy a licence later. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.