cloud server and it takes forever

G_K

I have a Buffalo LS220D0602-EU 2TB LinkStation cloud server and it takes forever to copy one 30 mins video to it and from it how do i fix that ?

How big is the file? How is it transferred, through ethernet or WiFi? It could be your network just isn't up to it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

How is your network set up?

server > switch(router combo) > pc

Is it any more elaborate than that?

When you're transferring a large file what is the average throughput you see?

my router is got a ethernet to a netgear 5 slot extender to my server and my pc the same

5 minutes ago, Brandon Knibbs said:

my router is got a ethernet to a netgear 5 slot extender to my server and my pc the same

So:

router

|-> netgear switch > server

|-> netgear switch > pc

and the throughput? What transfer speeds are you actually seeing?

So it's running a 10/100/1000 adapter all the way across. What happens if you try this with a different computer?

i don't have another pc to try 

i am on this internet 

internet.jpg

Are you trying to upload/download the files to/from the server over the internet or over the local network? If you're transferring files over the local network then your internet speed is irrelevant.

If you had another computer to test with we could rule out the computer itself being at fault.

What version of windows are you running?

2 minutes ago, Brandon Knibbs said:

windows 10 pro

Do you know if you installed any software that might mess with the performance of the network? 1Gbps networking usually doesn't need much user interference to get going full speed.

What about the server? Do you have experience with them in the past? Do you know if they support bandwidth throttling?

i don't know much about server speed and stuff 

2 minutes ago, Brandon Knibbs said:

i don't know much about server speed and stuff 

What happens if you skip the switches? Plug your PC and the server directly into the router.

the router is downstairs and my pc and server is up stairs if i switch the ethernet cable to pug it in the server to the router i won't be able to access the server because its on another format of internet 

3 minutes ago, Brandon Knibbs said:

the router is downstairs and my pc and server is up stairs if i switch the ethernet cable to pug it in the server to the router i won't be able to access the server because its on another format of internet 

It sounds like you plugged a router into another router not a router into a switch. This would result in different networks or subnets which would explain what you just said not that it changes what I asked for.

Forget the request. It was kind of a crap-shoot anyways. Even modern spinning disks are over 100MB/s and gigabit should max out at 125MB/s meaning the bottleneck is probably software related either in the server or your desktop. if you see 28MB/s writing to the server what do you see reading from it?

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

It sounds like you plugged a router into another router not a router into a switch. This would result in different networks or subnets which would explain what you just said not that it changes what I asked for.

Forget the request. It was kind of a crap-shoot anyways. Even modern spinning disks are over 100MB/s and gigabit should max out at 125MB/s meaning the bottleneck is probably software related either in the server or your desktop. if you see 28MB/s writing to the server what do you see reading from it?

IMG_1350.JPG

21 minutes ago, Brandon Knibbs said:

on another format of internet 

That's a switch. So why is it you say the downstairs router is a different internet? Your computer gets an IP from the downstairs router.

Though you could setup a static IP on your computer (I presume the server has a static IP) then unplug the cable leading downstairs. This would force a direct connection between both systems and eliminate your network as the culprit (or skip the switch entirely to be even more sure) then we'll know for sure it's a software issue.

if i click the off button on my server will it lose any of my data 

2 hours ago, Brandon Knibbs said:

if i click the off button on my server will it lose any of my data 

So long as the data was successfully written to disk then no. Besides, what do you think happens during a power outage? The only data lost when you shut it off is whatever is in your VRAM and it's not important in this instance.