Google is working on getting the Pixelbook to run Windows 10 Officially

AlTech
6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

ChromeOS is useless and worthless. Android x86 would have been a better option.

Chrome OS is lighter than android and in certain tasks is better than Android, but Google is currently working on merging the OSes over the next couple years. But believe you me I have access to both OSes on a regular basis and their are some things that I would much rather use on Chrome than Android, even when android is in desktop form, because Chrome is just a much more intuitive OS which is based on the Chrome browser, Crosh is also a rather nice feature to have, it is like the Chrome version of Command prompt. And on these netbooks I have tried both Windows 10 and linux distros like Ubuntu, Fedora, and Mint, but Chrome has always thus far been the lighter faster OS that get's the job required of a netbook done, have you noticed how few Android laptops there are? It's not because they don't exist, it's because they are a mess.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

4 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Chrome OS is lighter than android and in certain tasks is better than Android, but Google is currently working on merging the OSes over the next couple years. But believe you me I have access to both OSes on a regular basis and their are some things that I would much rather use on Chrome than Android, even when android is in desktop form, because Chrome is just a much more intuitive OS which is based on the Chrome browser, Crosh is also a rather nice feature to have, it is like the Chrome version of Command prompt. And on these netbooks I have tried both Windows 10 and linux distros like Ubuntu, Fedora, and Mint, but Chrome has always thus far been the lighter faster OS that get's the job required of a netbook done, have you noticed how few Android laptops there are? It's not because they don't exist, it's because they are a mess.

You mean they're going the Microsoft approach? Dun dun dun.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

19 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Chrome OS is lighter than android

No, it's not. The lowest end Chromium based machines use CPUs comprable to current lower mid Android phones and tablets.

28 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

in certain tasks is better than Android

ChromeOS does nothing better than any alternative out there. If anything, the only thing it's better at is being inferior.

29 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Chrome is just a much more intuitive OS

It's a functional clone of launchers like Leena Desktop UI. Android can be EASILY made to be intuitive with KB+M, as Remix OS, Pheonix OS, and Samsung Dex show.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not. The lowest end Chromium based machines use CPUs comprable to current lower mid Android phones and tablets.

ChromeOS does nothing better than any alternative out there. If anything, the only thing it's better at is being inferior.

It's a functional clone of launchers like Leena Desktop UI. Android can be EASILY made to be intuitive with KB+M, as Remix OS, Pheonix OS, and Samsung Dex show.

Are you sure Leena is not a clone of Chrome? Leena and similair launchers are only 2-3 years old meanwhile Chrome OS is currently 6 years old, sure it could use a major refresh, and once again Google is merging Android and Chrome, since the support just isn't their for Chrome apps, and the 2 operating systems are expensive to maintain, but from what I have seen Chrome is even lighter than those OSes and is much more seamless when it comes multitasking on a browser and typing tings up, and haven't you noticed? All of those alternatives don't run flash, which may sound trivial to you but their are still many legacy apps that benefit from flash, all of those OSes also are designed for docked phones and tablets.

So to refresh why does chrome exist? Because it fills a niche that other OSes just don't or can't fill, believe me they have tried just take a look at this 2014 laptop that was a total flop, and this chromebook that was a hit, thing is to this point there has yet to be a better netbook OS that is light, smooth, and reliable, and that is why we still see Chromebooks from major brands, until some other OS can better suit the light cheap laptops that many student, average workers, and others carry around with them today we will continue to see Chromebooks as the dominant netbooks.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

5 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

All of those alternatives don't run flash,

I run flash on a regular basis In Windows 10 and OSX. Edge even has it built in.

6 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Are you sure Leena is not a clone of Chrome? Leena and similair launchers are only 2-3 years old meanwhile Chrome OS is currently 6 years old

I use Leena as an example because it's still on the market, and Google pulls it up when searching for desktop launchers. But they go back a long way, I used to use them on my old Koby 2.2 Froyo tablet.

11 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Because it fills a niche that other OSes just don't or can't fill

No, it still exists explicitly for the fact that devices running it are dirt cheap.

13 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

thing is to this point there has yet to be a better netbook OS that is light, smooth, and reliable, and that is why we still see Chromebooks from major brands, until some other OS can better suit the light cheap laptops that many student, average workers, and others carry around with them today we will continue to see Chromebooks as the dominant netbooks.

At this point, Chromebooks exist because manufacturers are cutting every possiboe corner on their cheapest crap, including Windows licenses, and they don't have to advertise ChromeOS. Not because they've got merit as adequate machines.

Only the cheap machines sell, because they're the cheapest option largely available.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

weird considering the rumours around Crostini

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 hours ago, Drak3 said:

ChromeOS is useless and worthless. Android x86 would have been a better option.

ChromeOS itself isn't just great or anything, but the money you save buying a chromebook for purposes of browsing, media consumption, schoolwork, or light software development for instance make it a compelling buy in the context of cheaper chromebooks. It looks awful when you think about it on the pixelbook but it's extremely useful for low budget laptops and that's why so many people buy them. They are also soon releasing native linux app support and that combined with android app support makes it substancially more useful than android x86 for basically every use case.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

I run flash on a regular basis In Windows 10 and OSX. Edge even has it built in.

Both of those are heavier OSes which require more hardware to run smoothly, Windows 10 s was an unsuccessful attempt by Microsoft to create a lighter OS for Netbooks, they are working on Polaris to counter.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

No, it still exists explicitly for the fact that devices running it are dirt cheap.

Yes these devices are cheap and portable all while running smooth as long as you got a 2014 model or later, they are also quite portable with respectable battery life.

It is quite capable of getting the most out of the available hardware.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

At this point, Chromebooks exist because manufacturers are cutting every possiboe corner on their cheapest crap, including Windows licenses, and they don't have to advertise ChromeOS. Not because they've got merit as adequate machines.

Well Windows 10 S was quite expensive an offered little more in the way of functionality then Chrome does. So this 2 in 1 Chromebook  is trash? It looks like a pretty fine laptop to me.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Only the cheap machines sell, because they're the cheapest option largely available.

I do admit that they are cheap, but if you want a cheap laptop that needs to browse the web, compile spreadsheets, write essays, run Android apps, stay charged as you carry it and use it throughout the day, and etc. a Chromebook is a pretty tough deal to beat, in many ways I see better value in a Chromebook for school and for work than an ultrabook like a Macbook Air, because A) if you beat it up nobody is going to care because it's cheap, it runs smooth and if the keyboard fails, in many Chromebooks you are out $200-$300 instead of a full thousand. Do I think Chrome is the end all and be all for laptops, or that it should be in a thousand dollar laptop? No! I am just stating that when it comes to productivity tasks for work and for school, and if you are in the market for $150-$400 laptop-netbook, that gets that all done a Chromebook is a tough deal to beat. It isn't intended to be your powerhouse at home, your phone on the go, or even your gaming laptop, it is meant to be a cheap, fairly rugged, disposable device, that you can take anywhere, and get that work done.