Do Card Support Brackets Work?

redsquirrel0249

I have a two-slot card in my mid-tower, and I was thinking of getting a support bracket, as the end of the card doesn't continue in a perpendicular line from the back wall and screw mounting in the slot. But when I looked online, the images of these "support brackets" show them not even touching the card. How do they support the card without touching it? They just screw in tandem with the PCI screws and that's it. I get more metal means more reinforcement, but it doesn't look like that should work in this application. Any outside input appreciated!

1 hour ago, redsquirrel0249 said:

I have a two-slot card in my mid-tower, and I was thinking of getting a support bracket, as the end of the card doesn't continue in a perpendicular line from the back wall and screw mounting in the slot. But when I looked online, the images of these "support brackets" show them not even touching the card. How do they support the card without touching it? They just screw in tandem with the PCI screws and that's it. I get more metal means more reinforcement, but it doesn't look like that should work in this application. Any outside input appreciated!

Do you mean a GPU support bracket like this one?

gpusupp.2620.png

Just now, Christophe Corazza said:

Do you mean a GPU support bracket like this one?

They actually do indeed support (and touch) the graphics card. Depending on the manufacturer and the model, those support brackets have a "pedestal"/"knob" at the end of the bracket on which the card rests.

asus_strix_4_non_reference_silver_4_gpu_support_bracket_mnpctech_gtx_980ti_ti_r9_390x.jpg

@Christophe Corazza Those are right, yes. Just bought an Atlas model, cheaper one. Didn't see a support like that in the product page, that's why I asked. There was something called a bumper, though. I'm sure the extension along the back wall helps some with support, but surely wouldn't do it all.

13 hours ago, redsquirrel0249 said:

@Christophe Corazza Those are right, yes. Just bought an Atlas model, cheaper one. Didn't see a support like that in the product page, that's why I asked. There was something called a bumper, though. I'm sure the extension along the back wall helps some with support, but surely wouldn't do it all.

There are a lot of different models and ways how manufacturers implement the principle of ‘supporting a graphics card’. There are even “racks” that are mounted at the back of the card and sit on the bottom of the case.

However, this method (photo in previous comment) seems to be the most widespread and the most popular. You can even find these brackets on AliExpress.com for next to nothing and in every colour imaginable.

13 hours ago, redsquirrel0249 said:

I'm sure the extension along the back wall helps some with support, but surely wouldn't do it all.

I don’t use such brackets myself, but it appears that it does in fact works perfectly in holding the card horizontal and preventing it from sagging.

On 6/13/2018 at 9:14 AM, Mnpctech said:

machined aluminum version

Those are nice, but I just bought a $15 plastic one.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:33 PM, Christophe Corazza said:

preventing it from sagging

Mine was visually bending, so that's why I ended up going for one.

Some work well, others, not so well, and some are crap. I've hear nothing but good from MNPC's bracket but I didn't like the looks of it and the way it was mounted.

On the advice of an LTT member, I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077LGLN4G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to modify it to clear a threaded insert. The slots were a little on the wide side so, although the bracket worked well to stop card sag, the bracket itself sagged. I was able to modify the bracket to elininate its sag. You can read more about it here: 

And here:

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

37 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

some are crap

I mean, I paid some $15 or so and it's a 3D printed plastic part, but it does the job at least. I don't have as complicated a scenario as you do, so that helps, too.

4 hours ago, redsquirrel0249 said:

I mean, I paid some $15 or so and it's a 3D printed plastic part, but it does the job at least. I don't have as complicated a scenario as you do, so that helps, too.

If it works... :-D

I actually haven’t encountered any real GPU sagging myself, so I can’t give you my experience on that. However, I would prefer having a metal bracket instead of a plastic one. But that’s just personal preference I guess.

10 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

prefer having a metal

Oh, so would I. I'd also prefer to drive a BMW, have two gaming computers and a PS4 and Xbox, and more property, but we all have preferences, don't we?

I just don't think it's worth $50 or so for a glorified book to prop my card on, that's all.

10 minutes ago, redsquirrel0249 said:

Oh, so would I. I'd also prefer to drive a BMW, have two gaming computers and a PS4 and Xbox, and more property, but we all have preferences, don't we?

I just don't think it's worth $50 or so for a glorified book to prop my card on, that's all.

This is a black anodized alimunium one for $ 9.99... it's the first one that popped up

Amazon has many different models and colours though :)

This is how I fixed my gpu sag. It's a cooler master accessory mounted on the back of my phanteks case and through the grommet. It cost me €15 and isn't visible unless you bend over.

3-3.thumb.jpg.d28d3e3d0660661457127ea3cd3a2b4a.jpg

Yes!  I picked this GPU Bracket up for my sagging STRIX card and it was perfect.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

3 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

This is how I fixed my gpu sag. It's a cooler master accessory mounted on the back of my phanteks case and through the grommet. It cost me €15 and isn't visible unless you bend over.

That's a nice solution. Does Cooler Master sells these accessories specifically for GPUs?

Is it something like this Cooler Master product?

11-999-357-02.jpg

16 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

That's a nice solution. Does Cooler Master sells these accessories specifically for GPUs?

Is it something like this Cooler Master product?

It's not that one, but the version that mounts onto the case. It's actually a mastercase accessory (vga holder that was specifically made for that model case): 

Spoiler

20171009_121635.thumb.jpg.185ac38dbf3e28a8c176d64727b07418.thumb.jpg.2b303a9f37eb6db8f4f0d885319131e4.jpg

This is how it's mounted in my case:

Spoiler

2-4.thumb.jpg.087a1b791ac9b66f35edb9847f9af28a.thumb.jpg.4c033682a294416a326d4f2c7f4624ed.jpg

1 hour ago, MkaiL said:

It's not that one, but the version that mounts onto the case. It's actually a mastercase accessory (vga holder that was specifically made for that model case): 

This is how it's mounted in my case:

Aaah, so it was included with the case you’ve bought. It’s a nice and clean solution though :-)

14 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Aaah, so it was included with the case you’ve bought. It’s a nice and clean solution though :-)

No I think you understood me wrong there. It's a separate upgrade piece from cooler master that I slightly modified to work with my phanteks evolv. Here is the link: https://www.cmstore.eu/case/cooler-master-mastercase-graphics-card-holder/

This is how it originally works but I had the idea to mount one on the back of my case so it stays invisible.

11-119-320_006_120816.jpg.58593b2ebdfb46e5fb3489e945397b16.jpg

6 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

No I think you understood me wrong there. It's a separate upgrade piece from cooler master that I slightly modified to work with my phanteks evolv. Here is the link: https://www.cmstore.eu/case/cooler-master-mastercase-graphics-card-holder/

This is how it originally works but I had the idea to mount one on the back of my case so it stays invisible.

OK, gotcha! :-D

Still a nice and clean (no clutter visible) solution.