1440p to 2560x1080 ultrawide?

Justhavocman

Hello everyone , i currently am the owner of a Dell U2715H and while it has served me well i am , after 3 year regretting going down the 1440p route . Reason to this is that i have to keep upgrading my GPU every 1,5-2 years in order to keep up with performance . So i ask you , is it worth going back to 1080p , maybe a 27" HD monitor with a higher refresh rate or should i go for the in-between choice and get a 2560x1080 34" monitor with 75Hz refresh rate like the LG 34UM69G-B? Thank you in advance.

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10 

If practically all you do is gaming, then sure it might be something to consider. If you're doing things outside of gaming, then no. Losing desktop real estate is not worth it.

Alternatively you could lower the graphical details on your games or use a lower resolution and don't use any scaling if you don't mind black borders.

The only issue with the 2560x1080p resolution is that it only looks good on 29 inches screens, force it on the 34 inches ones will result in really bad pixelation.

All in all I'd get a 29 inch 2560x1080p over a 27 inch 1440p any day, 21:9 aspect ratio is absurdly superior in every way but that's if you're buying brand new... now that you're used to the higher resolution the downgrade might affect you negatively... frankly speaking I'd just keep using what you already have at this point.

Not sure what GPU you have but 2560x1440p is not that hard to run being honest... unless you have a really low end GPU or is targeting ALL Ultras which is idiotic:

Cheers

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The monitor in itself should not be a hindrance. Sure you can stick with the monitor you have and simply down down scale to 1080p for those applications that you can't run on 1440. Indeed going to the higher resolutions does require more processing power, but it should in no way compel you to keep upgrading your GPU. You can always make do. 

59 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If practically all you do is gaming, then sure it might be something to consider. If you're doing things outside of gaming, then no. Losing desktop real estate is not worth it.

Alternatively you could lower the graphical details on your games or use a lower resolution and don't use any scaling if you don't mind black borders.

Yeah i pretty much game and so generic stuff like facebook , youtube , movies etc. I currently have a dual monitor set up so i don't know how much real estate i'm really losing.

59 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

The only issue with the 2560x1080p resolution is that it only looks good on 29 inches screens, force it on the 34 inches ones will result in really bad pixelation.

All in all I'd get a 29 inch 2560x1080p over a 27 inch 1440p any day, 21:9 aspect ratio is absurdly superior in every way but that's if you're buying brand new... now that you're used to the higher resolution the downgrade might affect you negatively... frankly speaking I'd just keep using what you already have at this point.

Not sure what GPU you have but 2560x1440p is not that hard to run being honest... unless you have a really low end GPU or is targeting ALL Ultras which is idiotic:

Cheers

Updated my sig with my rig so i currently have a 1070 , i also read up that a big factor is how close you sit to your monitor when it comes to 1080 and screens bigger than 24" .

58 minutes ago, leonard_sun said:

The monitor in itself should not be a hindrance. Sure you can stick with the monitor you have and simply down down scale to 1080p for those applications that you can't run on 1440. Indeed going to the higher resolutions does require more processing power, but it should in no way compel you to keep upgrading your GPU. You can always make do. 

It's more of a "futureproof" if i can use such word , higher resolution really stretches the budget .

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10 

2 minutes ago, Justhavocman said:

It's more of a "futureproof" if i can use such word , higher resolution really stretches the budget .

What exactly are your requirements here? The only thing I can glean is you want ultra quality and high FPS. If resolution isn't a concern, then I could just go the logical extreme and recommend something like 1680x1050 or 1280x1024 monitor.