8700k vs 2700X gaming and workload

which cpu  

11 members have voted

1. 1. 8700k or 2700X

• 2700X

Heya, hows it goin yalls lol.

Im still debating between a 8700K and a 2700X. 

Ill be using it for Lightroom, photoshop, and premier pro ( in addition to other adobe products) , as well as for playing games such as gta v and fallout 4.

This cpu will be paired with a 1080ti: EVGA ftw3, and I will be using a 4k monitor: U28E590D

I will be running 32gb of ram on it. Additionally, it will be custom water-cooled. Either cpu will be in the strix equivalent of its own socket, ie strix x470 and strix z370.

Thank you!

8700K is the best for gaming.

I don't remember how well it does in rendering and other similar workloads though.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2700X would be my take for multi-threaded workloads. It does pretty good in games as well so no reason not to pick it. [H] said it was pretty much all a desktop user can ask for out of a CPU.

Get a VA panel for monitor though, TN 4k is not going to amaze.

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

8700K is the best for gaming.

I don't remember how well it does in rendering and other similar workloads though.

Yeah, I remember the single core benchmarks as being higher, but is it a massive gain over the 2700x?

Just now, Motifator said:

2700X would be my take for multi-threaded workloads. It does pretty good in games as well so no reason not to pick it. [H] said it was pretty much all a desktop user can ask for out of a CPU.

Get a VA panel for monitor though, TN 4k is not going to amaze.

Is premier pro, photoshop, lightroom (ESP lightroom, exportation times on 42mpx raw files is outrageous lol)

[H]?

Monitors already purchased lol

8700k because Adobe believes that tasks that are clearly multi-threadable should be held to a single worker core a decade after multi-core options became available.

Also, and again rather stupidly, get those RAM timings tight.

2 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Yeah, I remember the single core benchmarks as being higher, but is it a massive gain over the 2700x?

Massive enough to be the best for gaming.

The 2700x is a capable CPU though, and does have more threads. There is a certain point where Premier Pro won't scale beyond a certain core count, IIRC it was 4 cores, but I could be wrong.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Is premier pro, photoshop, lightroom (ESP lightroom, exportation times on 42mpx raw files is outrageous lol)

[H]?

Monitors already purchased lol

You could also wait for the 5ghz successor of the 8700K, it's said to come out in a week or so. Both would be good choices.

[H] = Hardocp.

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The 2700x is a capable CPU though, and does have more threads. There is a certain point where Premier Pro won't scale beyond a certain core count, IIRC it was 4 cores, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I know they scale as well, but im not sure either of how many cores(threads) it scales to lol

4 minutes ago, Motifator said:

You could also wait for the 5ghz successor of the 8700K, it's said to come out in a week or so. Both would be good choices.

[H] = Hardocp.

I saw it on some news source, 8079 or something right?

Is it the same core count and thread count as the 8700k, just higher clock speed?

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The gaming difference only shows up with the 8700 or 8700k to any degree that isn't Game Engine related, and really only with a 1080 Ti. There's a very specific reason Intel had to bring 6c parts to Desktop.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The gaming difference only shows up with the 8700 or 8700k to any degree that isn't Game Engine related, and really only with a 1080 Ti. There's a very specific reason Intel had to bring 6c parts to Desktop.

What games aren't game engine related?

Also, I saw that at a higher resolution, the cpu doesn't matter as much. Is this true? Ill be using a 1080ti at 4k

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

What games aren't game engine related?

Also, I saw that at a higher resolution, the cpu doesn't matter as much. Is this true? Ill be using a 1080ti at 4k

If you're gaming at 4K, it only matters a little. And that, again, is a Game Engine issue. So gaming is leveled out, but Adobe Products all favor Intel due to the single-threaded clocks. Adobe products are way, WAY too similar to tweaking CS:GO to run really fast.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

If you're gaming at 4K, it only matters a little. And that, again, is a Game Engine issue. So gaming is leveled out, but Adobe Products all favor Intel due to the single-threaded clocks. Adobe products are way, WAY too similar to tweaking CS:GO to run really fast.

So I should get the 8700k over the 2700X then, right?

Never played Cs:go lol, wouldn't know haha

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

I'd recommend the 8700k unless you have a specific tasks that's going to leverage AMD's more core. Anyone in the Adobe Ecosystem should go 8700k if they're buying up that high. (2600X if they're on a more budget build.) 

This is the category of stuff that is classified, "it's not Optimized for Intel; it's just less broken on Intel because you had to at least get it functional in the last 5 years".

10 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Oh, and you'll definitely want to spend the time getting your memory up to as high of a frequency as possible. I believe baseline is 2400 for 4 modules of single rank on Z370, so you'll have to play with it a bit to get it high enough. Something like 2933/3000 CL14 should be stable and at the optimal return. (Faster is better, but you're having to deal with a lot of variables to get there.)

You can still get the 2700X if you have other workloads like streaming that are going to depend on multiple cores. But yeah, as others pointed out, if that's the case then go with Intel. I'd also get the new chip, more Ghz would help in this case from what I understand.

Yes, it's a 6c CPU. Very similar to the 8700K, just a higher clock speed.

Lightroom doesn't seem to scale much above six cores. Photoshop is even more lightly threaded. Depending on the actual workload, this suggests an i7-8700K. That said the difference with the 2700X is quite small. So a comparable system based on either cpu is going to do a good job and cost within $100 of each other.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

19 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'd recommend the 8700k unless you have a specific tasks that's going to leverage AMD's more core. Anyone in the Adobe Ecosystem should go 8700k if they're buying up that high. (2600X if they're on a more budget build.) 

This is the category of stuff that is classified, "it's not Optimized for Intel; it's just less broken on Intel because you had to at least get it functional in the last 5 years".

Yeah, I see. I won't be doing anything like blender or anything like that. maybe a little Autodesk inventor, but not much.

13 minutes ago, Motifator said:

You can still get the 2700X if you have other workloads like streaming that are going to depend on multiple cores. But yeah, as others pointed out, if that's the case then go with Intel. I'd also get the new chip, more Ghz would help in this case from what I understand.

Yes, it's a 6c CPU. Very similar to the 8700K, just a higher clock speed.

I see. Hwen is the new chip to be slated out? Would I have to deli that as well? or is that soldered on?

4 minutes ago, brob said:

Lightroom doesn't seem to scale much above six cores. Photoshop is even more lightly threaded. Depending on the actual workload, this suggests an i7-8700K. That said the difference with the 2700X is quite small. So a comparable system based on either cpu is going to do a good job and cost within $100 of each other.

I see. I  mean, I have the funds, so I might as well whats best in that price range lol

Probably no solder, but you won't need to delid unless you're planning some hefty overclocking. The chip will work just fine with a good enough cooler. It's rumored to come out after a week.

2 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Yeah, I see. I won't be doing anything like blender or anything like that. maybe a little Autodesk inventor, but not much.

I see. Hwen is the new chip to be slated out? Would I have to deli that as well? or is that soldered on?

I see. I  mean, I have the funds, so I might as well whats best in that price range lol

We're expecting the i7-8086k on June 8th. That's the 40th Anniversary of the x86 launch with the 8086.

Autodesk is just as single-thread bottlenecked as well. There's quite a lot of "you sell products to companies that buy large, multi-core workstations, have you thought of optimizing your products at some point?" with this stuff.

3 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Probably no solder, but you won't need to delid unless you're planning some hefty overclocking. The chip will work just fine with a good enough cooler. It's rumored to come out after a week.

I was advised to delude the 8700k if I got it lol.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

We're expecting the i7-8086k on June 8th. That's the 40th Anniversary of the x86 launch with the 8086.

Autodesk is just as single-thread bottlenecked as well. There's quite a lot of "you sell products to companies that buy large, multi-core workstations, have you thought of optimizing your products at some point?" with this stuff.

Ahhh I see.

I was wondering why it was named so weird before lol.

Wont be buying the chip and mobo for a good 4 weeks or so lol. Just getting a bit of input before I buy it haha

No idea who advised you that, it's not like the chip will burn itself to hell, especially under a custom water loop. I run a Phoenix loop (also got a custom laying around) with a 4.9ghz 7820X and the temps are OK around 40C idle. You will see significantly cooler temps, so...

Just now, Motifator said:

No idea who advised you that, it's not like the chip will burn itself to hell, especially under a custom water loop. I run a Phoenix loop (also got a custom laying around) with a 4.9ghz 7820X and the temps are OK around 40C idle. You will see significantly cooler temps, so...

Hmmm, I was told that it'll be about 20c lower during idle. Esp on an its board..

Yes, delidding does lower temps by a good shot with these chips. But what I'm saying is, you won't "need" to do it. You can even put a heavy OC to the chip and still probably maintain temps below 90C at full load. It's a custom loop after all, so it should do that.

49 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Yes, delidding does lower temps by a good shot with these chips. But what I'm saying is, you won't "need" to do it. You can even put a heavy OC to the chip and still probably maintain temps below 90C at full load. It's a custom loop after all, so it should do that.

Ahhh, I see.

Alrighty, cool beans then :) Thank you for that haha. Never owned a consumer chip. Only had a 5820k and a5960x where the chip was soldered