Rant: How Apple destroys the mainstream knowledge about tech

This isn't about Apple. It's pedantic techie vs people who don't give a shit about irrelevant details.

Most people don't know what the different port shapes of USB are called. Even fewer care. Compound that with the fact that the majority of people only encounter type-C as a phone charge cable, and you get people asking "do you have a [phone] charge cable I can borrow?"

In that way, Apple's adherence to a specific plug type that is only used to charge their phones make sense. Everyone with an iPhone has a Lightning cable. The Lightning cable has a snazzy and recognizable name. Asking someone for a USB Type D v4.2 cable is as pointless as asking for a USB-C. Asking for a [recent android phone brand] charger is much more likely to yield results with less explanation.

I have yet to find a use for the USB-C cables that my phone came with.....aside from charging my phone or Gopro. As far as I'm concerned it's just a differently shaped charge cable, just like the Lightning cable.

So I have no real idea what mini USB (I don't think micro USB existed when 30 pin was released back in 2003) can support other than data power delivery but, I recall the 30 pin connectors Apple used supported device control in docks along with multiple audio channels etc & later on including video output, it also supported FireWire which was on pretty much every Mac up until around 2010 or there abouts from memory. Which again was basically only found on Macs since it was developed by Apple.

As for lightning, it came about before there was a real reversible industry standard & it is also rumoured (never confirmed by Apple) that they went with it because Micro USB did not have the compatibility with docking functions like lightning does that they wanted in a connector. Whether that is true, I don't know. and even then they didn't make the lightning port the same on all their devices. Like the iPod Nano does not support audio over the lightning port, which means you cannot use it in docks with the lightning port or 30 pin docks with a lightning adapter or use the lightning headphones.

I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see Apple adopt USB-C, but it's Apple. The idiots who decided to drop the best laptop charging port to ever exist for USB-C whilst great, it's no MagSafe.

Is it a pain that Apple have always been about proprietary connections? Yes it is. But sometimes it seems it's done because they wanted a specific compatibility that was not available at the time from the industry standards. But again it's also Apple, they want to be different which thinks sets them apart in a good way, it's not always that.

Speaking of Apple & their shit proprietary connectors, I think one of the dumbest (but also not the dumbest due to what it did) things they did was the Apple Display Connector that they used on at least the Apple Studio Displays, it looked like DVI-I but it had rounded ends instead of squared off ends & locating pins on each end, but again it did more than just one function it had power, video along with USB & FireWire in it so you only needed the one cable.

All in all, Apple is Apple, it is not mandatory to use their products. Just like of late people whining about LTT videos being basically all sponsored content, it's not mandatory you watch it.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

18 hours ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

It's not against Apple's tech - it's against how Apple's terminology/practices (in Ads) affects uninformed consumers who aren't as technically inclined as you are.

I was actually joking.