Ubuntu only 5.2GB of storage

Hi. My Ubuntu version only has 5.2GB of storage available.

I am dual booting with Windows 8. I am running Ubuntu 16.04.

Laptop Specs: Lenovo Yoga 3 - Core M Processor - 500GB SSD - 8GB Ram

I only have 5.2GB of storage for the partition and have 6MB of storage left.

Rip. Tj

hi.

You should have allocated more space during the installation of the OS.

Just do a new install and allocate more space to Ubuntu. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Or just go into Windows and expand the Partition size for Ubuntu, there should be one.

How did you partition for the Ubuntu install? By default, Ubuntu wants a separate boot/os and home volume. I personally just create one partition for both. I'd say create a volume that's at least 30-ish gigs. Should be more than plenty for testing purposes.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

25 minutes ago, AJTerminator said:

Or just go into Windows and expand the Partition size for Ubuntu, there should be one.

Bad idea. Do it under Ubuntu, Windows is likely to corrupt things.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

1. They have just set it up, so I doubt there's much on there, 

2. I have done it personally around 4 times and it hasn't done anything bad.

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ubuntu is more likely to break something by shrinking windows' partition than the opposite.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

44 minutes ago, Eibe said:

You should have allocated more space during the installation of the OS.

Just do a new install and allocate more space to Ubuntu. 

I didn't get this option. When I install it, it takes me to an auto install, to install over the current Ubuntu version, or make my own partition, which I don't know how to.

hi.

40 minutes ago, AJTerminator said:

Don't have administrator password to do that :/

hi.

14 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I found the disk partitions but I can't edit anything from there. Not disk sizes. Not a single one.

hi.

13 minutes ago, AJTerminator said:

1. They have just set it up, so I doubt there's much on there, 

2. I have done it personally around 4 times and it hasn't done anything bad.

1. I can reinstall Ubuntu, no problem. I can't see the option to add on more storage to the operating system.

2. I don't have the admin password to my windows OS.

hi.

3 minutes ago, AJTerminator said:

What version of Linux?

Ubuntu, 16.04

hi.

9 hours ago, Sauron said:

Ubuntu is more likely to break something by shrinking windows' partition than the opposite.

If it['s a non NTFS FS, then Win10 will def. break something. Ubuntu at least will read NTFS...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

45 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If it['s a non NTFS FS, then Win10 will def. break something. Ubuntu at least will read NTFS...

The worst that can happen is that the ext4 partition won't resize itself to fill the extra space - in which case you can easily fix it within ubuntu. If you're not shrinking it the chances of deleting important data are 0.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Haven't used Windows to resize partitions in a while, but it is quite possible (probable) they can make free space after the partition and expand the partition size (=edit partition table), without touching the FS. After this, the filesystem can be resized under Linux quite easily. If the Linux partition is at the end of the disk, then Windows utilities might have a bit more trouble, since they need to move the FS. But they do not need to touch the actual FS, just copy it! These should be basic tasks for any partition manager / editor, but as I said, haven't used windows in a while...

But in any case the OP said he does not have the Admin password for the Windows installation (well, considering all things, it would be easier if he'd just get it, since problems might, or should I say, will arise sooner or later ... ).

In any case, resizing of existing partitions with file systems is needed from a OS that does not natively support the FS on the partition in OPs case. Of course there can always be problems with this, and it is better to back up important data before doing this kind of things. Actually, better do that whenever changes are made to partition layout. This is also recommended in ubuntu installation instructions (which are linked below on this post... )

On 24.4.2018 at 12:40 PM, tj_420 said:

or make my own partition, which I don't know how to.

This is exactly what is needed. Either you need to free up space in Windows, which you can not do since you do not have the admin password. Since you can not do that, you need to change the partition layout during installation (or from the existing installation, which can be a bit tricky).

Better back up important data before you proceed. Although modern Linux distributions can (?) resize NTFS filesystems, there's always a chance something goes wrong.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Preparing_to_Install_Ubuntu_alongside_Windows

You should get a dialog similar to the one on this page:

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#5

But slightly different, because Windows is already there.

You can extend your ubuntu partition and even define new partitions and their mount points by editing the fstab which is located in /etc. You don't need to wipe anything, but you do need to have free space for this process.  Not having the password to Windows is not an issue, all you have to do is make sure there is enough free space in the windows partition so that you would be able to shrink it. If your struggling to get free space you can:

- Disable hibernation.

- Disable the restore point feature

- Clean cache

- Delete old windows updates

- Delete unwanted files.

Once you have free space you can either use gparted (or fdisk from the CLI) to extend the partition.  

I would shrink some space inside of windows on a windows partition. Than boot into linux to expand its partition using the freed up  un-allocated space.

If you need to reset a win password, you can boot into linux, explore the windows partition to windows->system32... than replace narrator with cmd.exe.

Than when you boot into windows and click ease of access... launch narrator it will actually open command promt as SYSTEM, there you can make your own windows admin account or reset passwords as needed. (anytime you have physical access to a disk you can do whatever you want; assuming its not encrypted)