WH1000XM2 or M50Xish headphones

JohnLuelf

Hi all,

I've been using my Bose QC25's for about 2 years now and have been loving the ANC, however, the sound quality never really did it for me. They don't really sound exciting or immersive and I've been looking for an upgrade. I've narrowed down my search to two choices: either buy the WH1000XM2's or better sounding, non ANC headphones and save some money (I'd just continue using the QC25's on daily commutes and flights). Although I haven't gotten a chance to try them in person the M50X's sound appealing to me, although some people have said that they can be harsh in the higher frequencies, something which I tend to be pretty sensitive to. Does anyone have any other suggestions in terms of warmish sounding headphones with a strong mid range and nice clarity? Already ruled out the DT770's as I've read they have a very V shaped signature.

I guess it comes down to this: I know audiophiles tend to disregard ANC wireless headphones because of their sound, but I've heard nothing but good things about the XM2's. Would other wired headphones around $200-$300 sound noticeably better? Would the M50X's sound noticeably better?

Side note: I don't care much for the extra features of the XM2's, or the better ANC. I'm happy with my 25's in that regard. I've heard that the Bose are more comfortable, which is certainly believable xD.

Thanks in advance, 

John

The Bose's have this thing where at lower volumes the bass is overwhelming, but when you turn it up the treble is almost boosted and becomes harsh, especially while listening to low quality mp3 files.

21 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Just don't get an m50x @Max_Settings

Agreed. Anything but the M50Xs. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

GPU: EVA FTW3 3080

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR +  another 1440p ultra sharp.

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | 970 Pro 500

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi  2.

Headphones: HD 6XX, Argons, HD 660S and like 9 more

Is there a particular reason? Are they in general just not great?

11 hours ago, JohnLuelf said:

Is there a particular reason? Are they in general just not great?

Make sure you quote people like I quoted you, that way we see your reply.

They are good to people who have used apple ear pods. But when given proper context they are not enjoyable.

@Max_Settings started with these and once he got his hands on real headphones realized how much he hated them. Here is his review. He has also reviewed many other headphones around 200$, I will link them below as well.

CPU  i7 6850k 

1 hour ago, Slickrr13 said:

Make sure you quote people like I quoted you, that way we see your reply.

They are good to people who have used apple ear pods. But when given proper context they are not enjoyable.

@Max_Settings started with these and once he got his hands on real headphones realized how much he hated them. Here is his review. He has also reviewed many other headphones around 200$, I will link them below as well.

Thanks a lot, I'll look through it. Sorry for not quoting earlier forgot about that.

Edit: If that's an accurate representation they'e definitely not the headphones for me LOL

Edit 2: would something like the K7XX or HD6XX sound noticeably better over the XM2's? Sorry if it' a stupid question, I'm not an audiophile or anything.

51 minutes ago, JohnLuelf said:

Thanks a lot, I'll look through it. Sorry for not quoting earlier forgot about that.

Edit: If that's an accurate representation they'e definitely not the headphones for me LOL

Edit 2: would something like the K7XX or HD6XX sound noticeably better over the XM2's? Sorry if it' a stupid question, I'm not an audiophile or anything.

Never personally heard the XM2. The problem with the K7XX and HD6XX is they require and AMP to run properly.

The HD6XX is regarded as one of the if not the best headphone for 200$. If you do not mind getting an AMP they are phenomenal, I love mine.

The 6XX is known for having slightly forward mids and a slightly warm sound. Also, the 6XXs are the same thing as the 650.

If you want headphones that are a little more portable then they will not work for you. If portability is a concern let us know and we will find a solution.

If you look at @Max_Settings M50X review he has several headphones listed at the bottom of the review that he recommends. Take a look at those. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

3 hours ago, Slickrr13 said:

Never personally heard the XM2. The problem with the K7XX and HD6XX is they require and AMP to run properly.

The HD6XX is regarded as one of the if not the best headphone for 200$. If you do not mind getting an AMP they are phenomenal, I love mine.

The 6XX is known for having slightly forward mids and a slightly warm sound. Also, the 6XXs are the same thing as the 650.

If you want headphones that are a little more portable then they will not work for you. If portability is a concern let us know and we will find a solution.

If you look at @Max_Settings M50X review he has several headphones listed at the bottom of the review that he recommends. Take a look at those. 

Definitely not - I'm just getting these for home listening. Just went to BestBuy to try out the XM2's. Personally not my taste, probably a bit cleaner and more relaxing than the QC35's but not something instantly noticeable. And yeah, I was considering buying open-back since these aren't really going outside. Thanks for your input, I'll definitely try out the 6XX's. Also, I already have the FiiO E10k. Guessing it's gonna be alright for them.

1 hour ago, JohnLuelf said:

Definitely not - I'm just getting these for home listening. Just went to BestBuy to try out the XM2's. Personally not my taste, probably a bit cleaner and more relaxing than the QC35's but not something instantly noticeable. And yeah, I was considering buying open-back since these aren't really going outside. Thanks for your input, I'll definitely try out the 6XX's. Also, I already have the FiiO E10k. Guessing it's gonna be alright for them.

Well under your budget but if your looking for an exciting headphone which is also very portable checkout the ATH-M40x with Brainwaves HM5 Angled ear pads.  I will post links below. These sound awesome in just about ever application and do not require an amp but benefit from one for when your at home. 

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615310&sr=8-3&keywords=ATH-M40x&dpID=41gFqXe5oBL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Pads:

https://www.amazon.com/BRAINWAVZ-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615414&sr=8-5&keywords=HM5+Pads&dpID=31JaOMNVwPL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Sheepskin pads:

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Angled-Memory/dp/B01J53WTUQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615414&sr=8-12&keywords=HM5+Pads

12 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

Well under your budget but if your looking for an exciting headphone which is also very portable checkout the ATH-M40x with Brainwaves HM5 Angled ear pads.  I will post links below. These sound awesome in just about ever application and do not require an amp but benefit from one for when your at home. 

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615310&sr=8-3&keywords=ATH-M40x&dpID=41gFqXe5oBL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Pads:

https://www.amazon.com/BRAINWAVZ-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615414&sr=8-5&keywords=HM5+Pads&dpID=31JaOMNVwPL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Sheepskin pads:

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Angled-Memory/dp/B01J53WTUQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615414&sr=8-12&keywords=HM5+Pads

I'll consider it, thanks. Find it weird how people are saying the M40's sound better than the 50's, but I'll take their word for it.

4 hours ago, JohnLuelf said:

I'll consider it, thanks. Find it weird how people are saying the M40's sound better than the 50's, but I'll take their word for it.

The M40s are way better. Also, your FiiO E10k will power the 6XXs fine. I can not recommend them enough. For 200$ they are a crazy value. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

M40x are bright headphones and they sound V shaped like the DT770s. Not sure about the M50x as I haven't heard them but they are received poorly everywhere haha.

If you are looking for a warm, neutral laid back headphone then the HD598 is a great option. They are smooth sounding, the highs are rolled off like the HD6xx, but the HD6xx has more clarity and resolution.

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

4 hours ago, Slickrr13 said:

The M40s are way better. Also, your FiiO E10k will power the 6XXs fine. I can not recommend them enough. For 200$ they are a crazy value. 

I have to disagree with you here, the FiiO E10k is rated up to 150 ohms. It will be a bad pairing with the HD6xx, that is rated at 300 ohms.

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

6 hours ago, Sabron said:

I have to disagree with you here, the FiiO E10k is rated up to 150 ohms. It will be a bad pairing with the HD6xx, that is rated at 300 ohms.

It is not perfect, but it will get the job done until he gets a real amp IMO.

CPU  i7 6850k