Good replacement for galaxy s5?

Minorika
Go to solution Solved by TheGlenlivet,
1 hour ago, Minorika said:

How hard would it be to replace a soldered battery?

Not impossible, but Like I said, there are some tools and patience involved.

It needs to have a headphone jack, a replaceable battery and maybe stock android but im unsure about that last one.

Would the LG g5 be a good replacement or are there better options?

Are there phones yet to be released with such features?

Thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, Minorika said:

It needs to have a headphone jack, a replaceable battery and maybe stock android but im unsure about that last one.

Would the LG g5 be a good replacement or are there better options?

Are there phones yet to be released with such features?

Thanks in advance!

The stumbling block is the replaceable battery. Everyone is going the apple route and soldering theirs in.

I had an s5 sport and was very happy with it for many years. Went back to my provider for an upgrade and they sold no phones with user-replaceable batteries any more...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I had that and replaced it with a Galaxy S8 and am extremely happy. the S8 is over 2x faster in every way. The camera is way way better. the HD pic i've taken i can zoom in on stuff that was far away like a sculpture and see extreme detail without fuzzy pictures now. Also you can get the battery replaced via samsung or other 3rd party places.

PSU Tier Ranking List

Ryzen 5 1600x|ASROCK                      |16GB DDR4 3400Mhz Corsair Vengence   | (partial build in progress)

FX-8350 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V1 | 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H100i v1

FX-8120 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V2 | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H80i v1 

I5-2500K LGA  | ACER MOBO??         | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 860 PRO | Win 10 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 970 SC 4GB | Corsair H80i v1

1 minute ago, STRESSMASTER said:

I had that and replaced it with a Galaxy S8 and am extremely happy. the S8 is over 2x faster in every way. The camera is way way better. the HD pic i've taken i can zoom in on stuff that was far away like a sculpture and see extreme detail without fuzzy pictures now. Also you can get the battery replaced via samsung or other 3rd party places.

Yeah but i want to replace it easily myself.

Just now, Minorika said:

You still can, you just need some tools to open it, remove the old battery and put it back together again.  If it's really that important to you then buy the tools and when the time comes replace it yourself.

2 minutes ago, Minorika said:

BTW the LG 5 is actually a worse unit than the S5 my son had that one and we compared. it's about 15% slower and camera is not as good either.

PSU Tier Ranking List

Ryzen 5 1600x|ASROCK                      |16GB DDR4 3400Mhz Corsair Vengence   | (partial build in progress)

FX-8350 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V1 | 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H100i v1

FX-8120 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V2 | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H80i v1 

I5-2500K LGA  | ACER MOBO??         | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 860 PRO | Win 10 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 970 SC 4GB | Corsair H80i v1

1 minute ago, Minorika said:

I think the lg v20 also has replacable battery, but dont quote me on that.

Lg v20 is more professional than the lg g5, but bigger.

Just now, STRESSMASTER said:

BTW the LG 5 is actually a worse unit than the S5 my son had that one and we compared. it's about 15% slower and camera is not as good either.

BTW im not sure if we are talking about the same g5. The g5 that everyone is talking about came out in 2016 and has very good camera, while the s5 came out in 2014. It is much faster than the s5.

7 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

BTW im not sure if we are talking about the same g5. The g5 that everyone is talking about came out in 2016 and has very good camera, while the s5 came out in 2014. It is much faster than the s5.

I theory yes. IDK y but his g5 was slower in every way and the battery was a much faster drainer and we even replace his battery. (not sure if drain was from phone or due to battery) This was with a new battery in the S5 as well and both were updated to newest OS. Marshmallow on S5 can't remember for G5. The S5 and G5 cameras were about even imho. but compared to the S8 camera there is no competition. 

PSU Tier Ranking List

35 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

You still can, you just need some tools to open it, remove the old battery and put it back together again.  If it's really that important to you then buy the tools and when the time comes replace it yourself.

25 minutes ago, Minorika said:

Depends on the phone. I fixit should have all the tutorials for the most popular phones, search the phone you want in ifixit.

1 hour ago, Minorika said:

22 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Thank you!

On 2018. 04. 19. at 8:22 PM, Minorika said:

FYI those batteries are not soldered. They are glued in place (mostly leaving "magic pulltabs" for easy removal), and connected through an ordinary connector. No soldering involved.
The phones are sealed, glued shut, yes. The closest thing to soldering (more like welding) is the back panel on the latest iphones (that's why they cost 500$+ to replace).

I just wanted to clear things up, didn't intend to sound mean.

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

2 hours ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

FYI those batteries are not soldered. They are glued in place (mostly leaving "magic pulltabs" for easy removal), and connected through an ordinary connector. No soldering involved.
The phones are sealed, glued shut, yes. The closest thing to soldering (more like welding) is the back panel on the latest iphones (that's why they cost 500$+ to replace).

I just wanted to clear things up, didn't intend to sound mean.

Ok thank you very much :)

On 4/19/2018 at 3:37 PM, TheGlenlivet said:

Quick question, the iOpener, how does it work? Is it some chemical thing like an Army MRE bag, and if so can it be reused, or is it a heat in the microwave deal? I've never seen that but it looks so much nicer than a hot air blower

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

2 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Quick question, the iOpener, how does it work? Is it some chemical thing like an Army MRE bag, and if so can it be reused, or is it a heat in the microwave deal? I've never seen that but it looks so much nicer than a hot air blower

Heat in the Microwave deal.  Its reusable.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Heat in the Microwave deal.  Its reusable.

That's pretty convenient, how have I not heard of these before? Is it part of the ifixit pro tech toolkit

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/iOpener/IF145-198-8

It's a stand alone kit, but only $20.  

It's apparently part of the Repair Business Toolkit for ONLY $240!!! :(

5 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

No, 

iOpener / Toolkit / New

iOpener / Toolkit / NewIF145-198-8

$19.99

It's $20 where I am.

I saw the individual part, I'm talking about buying it in the repair business toolkit

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Repair-Business-Toolkit/IF145-278-7

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Do you need all that?  Don't get me wrong, it is high quality stuff, but that is pretty much everything they make.

do i need it? who cares, I can't afford it xD