Thinking of doing a cable mod on the cheap for my son's pc and ...

ImNotDeViLzzz

Didn't see this mentioned, but you could also pick up something like this

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/heat-shrink-2-1-tubing-18-141?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uzVBRDkARIsALkZAdkaQ4WdlCnlyAnEganSf7-WuHAQu3yRpFL_dx8qe_wIJmTTMsQa92EaAgHPEALw_wcB

Heat shrink tubing/sleeving is cheap and makes things look much better. On the plus side you can get it in most colors.

On 28/03/2018 at 3:19 PM, AngryBeaver said:

Didn't see this mentioned, but you could also pick up something like this

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/heat-shrink-2-1-tubing-18-141?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uzVBRDkARIsALkZAdkaQ4WdlCnlyAnEganSf7-WuHAQu3yRpFL_dx8qe_wIJmTTMsQa92EaAgHPEALw_wcB

Heat shrink tubing/sleeving is cheap and makes things look much better. On the plus side you can get it in most colors.

It will definitely work with some of the cables in my computer but with others the connectors to the devices are so wide that no way you could fit it through the tube.  I guess also you have to buy this in large quantities which I don't need. : S

On 18/03/2018 at 4:25 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

He'll be wanting to use PVA glue as thermal paste next :) 

Uh no and this is the kind of post that is not helpful at all.  Also facts are electrical tape will work. 

9 hours ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

It will definitely work with some of the cables in my computer but with others the connectors to the devices are so wide that no way you could fit it through the tube.  I guess also you have to buy this in large quantities which I don't need. : S

Actually if it is something like a molex connector you can just pull out the pins and slide it over then put them back in the connector.

If it is something like say a sata I would split it very carefully with a razor, then make sure you tuck one flap under the other nicely and hit it with say a lighter... this will cause it to shrink and melt a little to rebond the heat shrink tubing. Just make sure it is on the less visibile side of the cables

Personally I don't think electrical tape would look bad, other things might look better but if all you want is shiny black cables then the tape isn't that bad of an option

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

7 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Actually if it is something like a molex connector you can just pull out the pins and slide it over then put them back in the connector.

If it is something like say a sata I would split it very carefully with a razor, then make sure you tuck one flap under the other nicely and hit it with say a lighter... this will cause it to shrink and melt a little to rebond the heat shrink tubing. Just make sure it is on the less visibile side of the cables

There is now way I will be able to do what you just said and it was why I was looking for a simple solution.

2 hours ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Personally I don't think electrical tape would look bad, other things might look better but if all you want is shiny black cables then the tape isn't that bad of an option

Yeah it won't look bad but the problem like someone else said is getting that off later. : S