Unable to activate Windows XP

I'm in the midst of restoring my old Acer Travelmate 4201 back to its original OS of Windows XP Home. Windows 7, while it did run, wasn't a good fit as it'll use 90% of the available RAM at idle. I got XP installed with all the drivers and everything, now what's left is activation and I doesn't seem to want to do this. I'm using the product key on that came with the laptop and I keep getting the error "Can't establish a connection with activation server" (Error message 32777). Got any ideas? Would rather not have to phone Microsoft regarding this.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I'm in the midst of restoring my old Acer Travelmate 4201 back to its original OS of Windows XP Home. Windows 7, while it did run, wasn't a good fit as it'll use 90% of the available RAM at idle. I got XP installed with all the drivers and everything, now what's left is activation and I doesn't seem to want to do this. I'm using the product key on that came with the laptop and I keep getting the error "Can't establish a connection with activation server" (Error message 32777). Got any ideas? Would rather not have to phone Microsoft regarding this.

Microsoft stopped supporting xp, I’m pretty sure. Even if you did phone them you wouldn’t get a response on what to do.

I would say that the activation servers aren't online anymore since they cancelled the support for xp, at least that's what I suppose.

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

Just gonna double check, but it is connected to the Internet right?

It might be that Microsoft took down those servers since XP has been EOL for years.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Activation servers were taken down a long time ago.

You will have to find a unattended legal installation of Windows XP. Usually older business or schools give them away.

The geek himself.

33 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Phone Activation should still work. While they don't support XP, they should probably still activate it.

The phone activation method is automated, so you don't need to speak to anyone, if that's a concern.

Though it's possible you might need to speak to a service agent, if the phone activation fails.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

POSReady is still supported till early 2019 dunno if it applies to activation though

45 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Phone Activation should still work. While they don't support XP, they should probably still activate it.

The phone activation method is automated, so you don't need to speak to anyone, if that's a concern.

Though it's possible you might need to speak to a service agent, if the phone activation fails.

I'll try that then. Guess it's the only way left. 

39 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

POSReady is still supported till early 2019 dunno if it applies to activation though

Yea I did that Registry change and it didn't do much either.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

This happens because XP by default comes with IE6 and relies on IE to do the activation.  However IE6 just isn't supported anymore.  You simply cannot browse to any website anymore with that browser, even Microsoft's own sites. 

Set Windows to auto-install updates and wait a while (or click the yellow shield in the notifications area once XP has downloaded them so you can install them manually).  Once it has done the first 2 or 3 waves, it will have upgraded IE to version 8 and then it should be able to make connection with the update servers. 

I activated two XP installs earlier today, so the servers are certainly still up.  

Actually, considering how fast these activations went and the fact that I used the same OEM key from my old netbook for both, it looks like they're not even checking the key anymore.  I'm thinking that they see it's an XP install and just automatically tell the OS that it's been validated. 

When reinstalling XP on that netbook BITD, I had to do the phone thing almost every single time.  That was on the original hardware, so it certainly should be triggered by the new hardware IDs from my VMs.