Intel's X-Series Lineup - What you NEED to Know

CPotter

Thanks to Intel for sponsoring this video!

Check out Intel's 2018 Extreme Rig Challenge
Enter to win select competitor rigs and other awesome prizes by voting for your favorite team.
Search https://www.amazon.com/ for a wide range of tie-in promotions.
Check back soon for details including how to vote, where to buy, and where to see the final builds.

You're building a new HEDT PC, and you planned on an Intel™ Core® i7. But now there's Core® i9... And what's the X for? Time to demystify Intel's lineup! 

Buy Intel Core™ i7-7820X:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/4iOVS
On Newegg: http://geni.us/r3dQBuJ

Buy Intel Core™ i9-7900X:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/wHj93T9
On Newegg: http://geni.us/9a2Ede

Buy Intel Core™ i9-7980XE:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/XJm01u
On Newegg: http://geni.us/b23Syi1

Core i7 7800X owner here. Just want to say with the 4 weeks I've had with this new system I've been really impressed with CPU and platform. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I respect your choice on how to do sponsored videos and in which way you disclose this fact.
Even though I think it's more than clear that this is essentially an advert, I really do miss any mention of competitors, especially since the AMD platform really has to be considered at this time.
For future sponsored content, I would appreciate a more differentiated approach on presenting solutions/products from companies.
IMHO, it would be fair to mention some "flaws" or "downsides" of the presented products.

However, I think this video has been greatly done and I appreciate the effort you put into it.

Thanks for always trying your best!

Edited by SkyFall
Corrected spelling mistakes

I'm impressed by how much you managed to get away with on this Intel-sponsored video:  

• "So far they've been most useful in competitive overclocking" is a great way of saying that Kaby Lake X is useless. 
  • Saying that the i7-7820X "should be the entry level CPU for most buyers on this platform" really highlights how pointless the 6-core i7-7800X is in the age of Coffee Lake.  
  • That "hostage video" clip from your i9 review!  ???

image.thumb.png.ab8fe8d37c4c59fa23898a9b509f5354.png

4 minutes ago, JCHelios said:

highlights how pointless the 6-core i7-7800X is in the age of Coffee Lake.

Nah the 7800X is far from 'pointless' in fact I'd say that with the pressure from AMD it made 6C/12T possible on Intel's mainstream platform. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 hour ago, SkyFall said:

Even though I think it's more than clear that this is essentially an advert, I really do miss any mention of competitors, especially since the AMD platform really has to be considered at this time.

That just won't happen, we've asked them before to provide more comparisons even in the floatplane section, we got zero response from any of the LMG crew. 

4 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Nah the 7800X is far from 'pointless' in fact I'd say that with the pressure from AMD it made 6C/12T possible on Intel's mainstream platform. 

Your thesis is present-tense, but your evidence is past-tense.  Why would someone buy a 7800X today?  Why not step up to an 8-core, or step "down" to a Coffee Lake i7? 

Umm, this video is imo a bit weird.

1) The platform isn't exactly new anymore, is more than half a year old, a bit weird from intel to sponsor such video now when the cpu's aren't exactly new anymore.

2) I'm expecting that the replacement for X299 will be announced soon. AMD is going hard and strong so they can't afford to relax and just launch whenever they want. The X299 launch was already a disaster and they shoud at least try to do it better next time.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

IMO the 7900X is effectivly the current gen version of the 3930k. but at almost 2x the price.

Intel such a ripoff. They know fulll well that if the i7 7800x and 7820x had 48 PCI lanes, no1 would bother with the 7900x.

If som1 wants to run SLI at full 16x speed, u HAVE to get a 7900X, its ur only option from intel, or get the slower single thread perf of a Threadripper 1900x. EDIT: or an older 6850k , roughly same price and perf as 1900X, and has 40 pci-e lanes.

Back with Sandybridge, you had the 3820 for non OC'ing and the 3920k for CO'ing,, both signifiantly cheaper, both had 40 PCI lanes.

With everything going on in the computer hardware world atm, im kinda glad theres no 40-50" OLED out that i want atm. if there were, i'd likely find myself having to pay out the nose for 2x 1080ti's at their inflated prices, RAM at inflated prices, and also a overpriced 7900x ...would really do a number even on my original £5k budget (which includes OLED, custom subzero liquid cooling system, and PC).

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |