I'm confused about Floatplane Media

Ryois
16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't think Luke has "quit" LMG - he simply has very little free time due to working at FPM pretty much full time.

"Luke's last WAN show as an LMG employee"

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

31 minutes ago, KhandakeF said:

"Luke's last WAN show as an LMG employee"

I'm not exactly confident that this statement was made in an official "He's no longer CTO, and is legally not an employee anymore" kind of way.

It's entirely possible, of course, yes. But they might have simply meant "Luke is no longer taking a day to day roll at LMG and thus, on an effective basis, isn't really an employee here anymore".

Of course, the corporate structure is apparently such that there's a holding company that owns both LMG and FPM, so likely he has a stake in the holding company.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm not exactly confident that this statement was made in an official "He's no longer CTO, and is legally not an employee anymore" kind of way.

It's entirely possible, of course, yes. But they might have simply meant "Luke is no longer taking a day to day roll at LMG and thus, on an effective basis, isn't really an employee here anymore".

Of course, the corporate structure is apparently such that there's a holding company that owns both LMG and FPM, so likely he has a stake in the holding company.

Did you watch WAN? It would be really weird and costly to have Luke as employee of LMG. So he literally doesn't work there anymore. Not in any position. I'm pretty sure Ed has already been acting in Luke's position in upper management. So Luke handles FPM, Linus and Ed LMG, and then there's third parent company which oversees both.

E: If they were doing this in here, I could already verify most of stuff. We have very regulated system for companies and main infos are public. Like owners.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Did you watch WAN? It would be really weird and costly to have Luke as employee of LMG. So he literally doesn't work there anymore. Not in any position. I'm pretty sure Ed has already been acting in Luke's position in upper management. So Luke handles FPM, Linus and Ed LMG, and then there's third parent company which oversees both.

E: If they were doing this in here, I could already verify most of stuff. We have very regulated system for companies and main infos are public. Like owners.

Funnily enough, I'm watching it right now. Yep. Looks like Luke is officially quitting LMG.

But from the sounds of it, it's totally for logistical and cost saving reasons, as he leads FPM as the COO.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Luke is COO, Linus is CEO. 

I'll be so much happier when this is over. They are spending roughly 50% of every WAN Show talking about Floatplane. It's like the longest commercial ever. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Without offending anyone, I am really surprised how hard this is for people to understand. 

At the top you have what I would call Linus+ meaning Linus and Yvonne and whoever else. They own LMG and Floatplane and control everything so all the business entities and channels. 

Next branch down you have LMG and Floatplane both owned by Linus + but two seperate business entities, even though they are the same building. 

Luke is contracted to LMG but spends all his time working at Floatplane, so he voids his LMG contract and signs new Floatplane contract. 

Still goes to work in the same office, still the same boss, just different company. 

Think of it like this. Imagine you have a job at a McDonald's. Say your boss owns the McDonald's but also owns the Burger King across the street. He sends you to work at the Burger King but your contract is for McDonald's. So you have to quit McDonald's and sign a new contract for Burger King. 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'll be so much happier when this is over. They are spending roughly 50% of every WAN Show talking about Floatplane. It's like the longest commercial ever. 

Lol. You really think that will stop them? Linus has invested in FP. Ofc he will continue to promote it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Lol. You really think that will stop them? Linus has invested in FP. Ofc he will continue to promote it.

He hasn't just invested in it... he's the primary owner and CEO of FP.

7 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

It is a shame rather, Luke was the best video hoster, I personally don't see the appeal of floatplane to begin with either... I wish the forum contribution fees were more realistic so I could support the only thing I really care for in LMG which is the great forum... videos? eh they make like a good one per month mostly.

More Brandon and occasional Luke when he can and we'll be alright.  

edit

does he use the forums? If he does what's his account so I can ping him to tell him he's great. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

More Brandon and occasional Luke when he can and we'll be alright. 

I'd be alright with more James - he's got a lot better screen presence than most of the other LMG employees.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I'd be alright with more James - he's got a lot better screen presence than most of the other LMG employees.

oh yea him, I like him. He's no Brandon, but that's because Brandon's videos are shot by Brandon who's partial to Brandon's projects. 

People seem to dislike him on the wan show since he's NotLuke™, but I really do like him an Linus together as well. The wan show isn't like The Tek, where I watched it for and only for Wendell. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

oh yea him, I like him. He's no Brandon, but that's because Brandon's videos are shot by Brandon who's partial to Brandon's projects. 

People seem to dislike him on the wan show since he's NotLuke™, but I really do like him an Linus together as well. The wan show isn't like The Tek, where I watched it for and only for Wendell. 

I don't mind Brandon - seems like a cool dude. But he's still pretty stiff when in front of the camera. Mostly he just needs experience to get better, but you can immediately tell when someone has a more natural aptitude to it - and James has that in excess.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I don't mind Brandon - seems like a cool dude. But he's still pretty stiff when in front of the camera. Mostly he just needs experience to get better, but you can immediately tell when someone has a more natural aptitude to it - and James has that in excess.

he's stiff, but he's not annoying like a couple of other non-linus-or-luke options (not gonna name names) and his videos are often just good content. But I think he has a lot less work to do than some other certain presenters. 

muh specs 

All parts black

he's stiff, but he's not annoying like a couple of other non-linus-or-luke options (not gonna name names) and his videos are often just good content. But I think he has a lot less work to do than some other certain presenters. 

I can agree with that.

I also really like Jon, though he's much better in an unscripted environment like the WAN show, over doing a scripted video.

Jon and James are both great at just being themselves on screen unscripted with the WAN show. Linus should bring them both onto the show more frequently.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I can agree with that.

I also really like Jon, though he's much better in an unscripted environment like the WAN show, over doing a scripted video.

Jon and James are both great at just being themselves on screen unscripted with the WAN show. Linus should bring them both onto the show more frequently.

I don't like...not his voice, but the way he comes across with it. I imagine I would be bad in similar ways. He has some way to go. But I did like him on wan show and other unscripted things yah. 

Taran has really been growing on me. Was pretty neutral about him before, but I really like seeing his passion projects like the macro insanity and editing tutorials. 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

He promoted it before.  I don't expect that to stop, and I don't fault him for it.  It's spending 20 minutes talking about website progress that is crazy.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 hours ago, Ryois said:

So in the WAN show, they talked about Luke and FP Media.

Whos CEO, COO, and other business positions? Is Linus a part of FP media? I hope they make a http://linusmediagroup.com style website for http://floatplanemedia.com the forums is being stupid with URL insertion...

Thanks!

I do believe they said Linus is technically the CEO of floatplane with luke as the COO

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

9 hours ago, Ezzy-525 said:

As far as I understand it (which could be wrong). LMG and FP Media will be two separate entities, so Linus (on paper at least) isn't involved in FP as he is also one of it's content creators (so as to not have any conflict of interest).

Hence, Luke "leaving" LMG.

Sort of like this...except the content creators remain their own entities...they aren't owned by FP.

f8608c40b6753161b3bb88b292d74fd0.png

Basically, "we" will pay Floatplane Media to subscribe to their service and in turn they will pay LMG, Bitwit etc. for access to their content.

They're all completely separate entities working in harmony. This is why on WAN show they mentioned that Floatplane will actually have to pay LMG for renting out office space etc.

In effect, FP becomes a sort of Netflix and the creators are akin to production companies like Fox etc.

819f818feef7aad3ae5d0c55e9d98c6b.png

actually, I believe it is more of a hub for these creators and you're not really paying floatplane(although payment is through floatplane) for access to LMG and Bitwit, you pay to subscribe to each channel you want and floatplane takes a cut from that. That is why you need to pay a separate fee for bitwit and lmg media now instead of one for both

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

39 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

He promoted it before.  I don't expect that to stop, and I don't fault him for it.  It's spending 20 minutes talking about website progress that is crazy.

I believe a lot of people are genuinely excited about it or demand updates. Now, I would agree with not spending so long on it if they didn't already waste 75% of the wan show sometimes anyway. 

muh specs 

All parts black

5 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Luke is COO, Linus is CEO. 

I actually kind of like it tbh. Not EVERY wan show, but I like the fact that they keep us updated with FP progress when they have no need to. 

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Imo every show where they talk more about something else than tech news is better. If I want tech news, I can watch Level1's show.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Imo every show where they talk more about something else than tech news is better. If I want tech news, I can watch Level1's show.

In all fairness Level1Techs show is comedy gold, love those guys.

20 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I believe a lot of people are genuinely excited about it or demand updates. Now, I would agree with not spending so long on it if they didn't already waste 75% of the wan show sometimes anyway. 

18 hours ago, KhandakeF said:

I actually kind of like it tbh. Not EVERY wan show, but I like the fact that they keep us updated with FP progress when they have no need to. 

I get that.  But it's how looooooooooooooooong they talk about it that's crazy.  A few weeks ago they literally spend 40 minutes on FP discussion.  I timed it.

54 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I get that.  But it's how looooooooooooooooong they talk about it that's crazy.  A few weeks ago they literally spend 40 minutes on FP discussion.  I timed it.

I mean hey, when they dont got good topics for us, why not talk about FP? :)