PC and Console discussion

Thanks for dropping by and I need to sum up my attitude and views on this topic to avoid confusion later on. For the majority of my life I have been a console gamer, I had absolutely no problems with any of my consoles and the most recent one I owned was the PS4. I loved my console, I really did and I never noticed any of the things that people say about consoles today like the 30fps lock, no 4k or outdated hardware because I was never looking at articles or videos or said this and I had never really known what a smooth 60fps was like so 30fps felt natural to me. About 3 years ago I started to watch some gameplay of TF2 and I absolutely loved the look of it so I downloaded steam to get it and this was the start of my experience with PC gaming. I had an awful little office PC but I didn't know anything about computer parts at this time. For 2 years I gamed happily on this machine but eventually it just wouldn't open steam so I bought the PC I have now with a 1050ti and an I7 4790. I just was interested why people like either console or PC because I really don't know with all the PC master race garbage. If anybody drops a comment then il try to give a unbiased response and thanks again for checking out this thread :)

I like consoles because that is what I grew up with, from the PS1 to the PS4. It takes time to get used to the transition from controller to keyboard and mouse, or vice versa, so some prefer what they are just used to. People argue that you are limited to just content consuming on consoles and you can do so much more with PC's. To me, I just let people enjoy whatever they have.

Thanks for the reply, and I agree you with you on the end part. I feel that people should have the freedom to pick a gaming platform without ridicule. I personally like the keyboard and mouse on my PC but I have friends who use a controller and im perfectly ok with that.

Here's my take.

PCMR is toxic garbage. People say "Ya well it's just a joke", but no. Too many people take it seriously for it to be a joke anymore.

That aside, want to game on a PC? Fucking kickass! We'll help anyone get started with a build suited towards their budget.

Want to kick back and game hassle free on a console? Awesome dude! We can give you some good game suggestions.

And that's pretty much that. We as consumers have a LOT of choice. Despite the console doom and gloom PCMR types spout all the time (Consoles are killing gaming, etc), PC Gaming has probably never been stronger. We have so many choices, and a ton of well optimized games.

I play both.

Sometimes I just want to plop on the couch, grab a controller, and go. My XBOX One S serves me very well here.

At best, PC couch gaming is an awkward experience. Sooner or later you need to whip out a mouse and keyboard. And getting a good 10-foot interface is a hassle too, since you can install Kodi or Plex, but eventually you'll want to do something that requires you to exit that software.

But sometimes I want to play Star Citizen, or whatever else, so I'll turn on my gaming rig and sit down to play.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Probably the biggest win for pc gaming (as noted above) is choice.  The PC is probably the best backwards compatible device out there.  Want to play a game that was super popular in the late 80s - early 90s?  It's probably available at gog.com and will run just fine using drop box.  Want to play a game from 2005? I'm sure you'll find it on steam.  We have so many choices.

I have a convenient enough setup where I have my 46" lcd tv sitting next to my computer desk.  If I want to put my feet up and play like a console, i hook up a controller and play like a console.  If I want to play a bit more competitive or just have access to my side monitiors (maybe someone's talking to me in discord etc...) I play on my 144hz monitor.

Another dimension to your choice of games are all the mods out there.  Some mods add little things like new characters designs and weapons, some mods are total conversion mods that create entire new games from existing games.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

PCMR is toxic garbage. People say "Ya well it's just a joke", but no. Too many people take it seriously for it to be a joke anymore.

agreed. any people on this forum show it way to much.

below is a quote from Ben Croshaw (Yahtzee / Zero Punctuation), the guy who was responsibe for the wide spread use of the term.

It only mentions me briefly as the progenitor of the term and correctly states that I meant it in the spirit of ironic mockery, and the objection seems to be to PC gamers adopting it unironically as a rallying cry. And on that, I think we're in agreement: I think it's a little bit weird to base your identity around your preferred method of entertainment.

But I suppose that argument only applies if the term 'PC Master Race' were exclusively being used ironically in a mocking context, and it is true that some PC gamers seem to take it worryingly seriously. Wilde makes the point that they may not be fully appreciating the context behind the term. But even that, in it's own way, could be a positive thing. Because the Nazis were dicks, and they don't deserve to have power over our language anymore. If some millennial can honestly use the term 'PC Master Race' for years without even knowing that it's a Nazi reference, then I'd chalk that up as a win.

Full Article: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/12882-The-PC-Master-Race-Discussion-Political-Correctness-vs-Language-

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I stopped using my Xbox entirely when I found out I could just stream Madden to my PC.

Here's my opinion: if consoles has more configuration options, didn't run those shitty console OSs, and had native keyboard and mouse compatibility, I would most likely buy one.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Here's my take.

Yeah, it was funny as a joke.

Now though, it can go burn in hell fire.  People take it way to seriously.  It even bad on other forums among the real high end enthusiasts builders.  Some actually go off on me for having consoles because I have two powerful rigs.  Pretty much, my answer, I like options.  Plus, go do 12 hour shift help desk...the last thing I want to do once off shift is sit in front of a computer.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

One thing about console that I never could move away from is the controller.

That being said when I was in college games were way to expensive to buy for Xbox while simultaneously steam had games for very cheap. It was at this time that I  realized many games on steam would be compatible with the Xbox controller, this my interest in pcie gaming rekindled from when I was young. 

Thanks for the replys, this got more attention than I expected (Thanks for that :P). So is everybody agreed in that all the console peasent and PCMR is just obnoxious and ridiculous? I didn't really know how people felt but from what I can see that is the general consensus and I am glad for it.I have loved using my console and my PC which is why I am neutral but I was curoius on other peoples feelings, thanks again for your comments and I highly appreciate it :)

4 minutes ago, ToastedVivid said:

Thanks for the replys, this got more attention than I expected (Thanks for that :P). So is everybody agreed in that all the console peasent and PCMR is just obnoxious and ridiculous? I didn't really know how people felt but from what I can see that is the general consensus and I am glad for it.I have loved using my console and my PC which is why I am neutral but I was curoius on other peoples feelings, thanks again for your comments and I highly appreciate it :)

The console fanboy individuals definitely exist, but console users are not peasants, and PC gamers are not some kind of superior race. I'm curious what console fanboys(like die-hard people, not people who just like Playstation or Xbox) feel when I tell them I own a PS4 and PC, and likewise with people who seriously subscribe to the PCMR attitude. 

P.S., I do not care if you want to play a video game with me on a console. Yeah, it might be technically inferior to the PC version, but I like to just have fun with people playing video games too. 

Also, last note: the PCMR attitude makes it seem like all PCs are somehow equal - that's definitely not true. If I game on a $300 laptop, does that make me equal to the console peasantry? Wouldn't playing on a PS4 or Xbox One be superior to that experience? If you seriously subscribe to the PCMR attitude, just like with everything else, there is no fine line between anything.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I've found servers on consoles to be just better over-all, as long as having more friends on console.

Though I've always been a PC gamer mainly, which started when I was introduced to RCT. Not sure why but I've also found the communities I inhabit on the PC tend to be fairly toxic and hostile. Probably should stop playing MMOs.

1 hour ago, ExplosiveSloths said:

I've found servers on consoles to be just better over-all, as long as having more friends on console.

Though I've always been a PC gamer mainly, which started when I was introduced to RCT. Not sure why but I've also found the communities I inhabit on the PC tend to be fairly toxic and hostile. Probably should stop playing MMOs.

I come across toxic and hostile game communities on both sides.  Some games the communities are relaxed and friendly, other games are a complete reversal.  Seems to usually boil down to the community around a game not the platform.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

38 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I come across toxic and hostile game communities on both sides.  Some games the communities are relaxed and friendly, other games are a complete reversal.  Seems to usually boil down to the community around a game not the platform.

Yeah you're probably right.Though due to the nature of having less ways to interact with people on console and better moderation, it generally means I never come across those kinds of people.

I prefer PC over pretty much any console I've ever used. I support the PC side of the debate a little more than the console side, but I by no means am strictly against console. I was planning on picking up a PS3 so I could play The Last Of Us, but I'd be able to emulate PS3 on my desktop once I upgrade, which is one of the things I love about the PC as a platform, you can run literally anything on it.

Take the Raspberry Pi for example, if you load RetroPie onto an rPi you can run pretty much any retro game on it from platforms like the SNES, NES, N64, Sega Master, Sega Genesis, PS1, PS2, and even straight up arcade machines. It's a really fantastic thing, but you can't do it on a console. PCs to me are a lot more versatile and can do a lot more than a console.

Of course I do support consoles, there are some games on the Xbox One I'd still like to play, but I don't feel strongly enough about playing them to justify buying an Xbox One.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!