Baffled by these options: colour accuracy under $250?

Go to solution Solved by sensi277,
On 12/12/2017 at 7:58 PM, Hiya! said:

I think u should find a review for each of those monitor and find the DELTA E measurement to determine the color accuracy because i am sure most of us wont know about how well each of those monitor perform.

Although at that price point  i doubt it will going to be that accurate compared to high end monitor.

That's just the problem: I can only find Delta E measurements for the VC239H. The VZ239H is $50 cheaper and the P2317H has a nice stand and is a Dell.

Edit: Solved, see main post.

<edit>: Just in case someone else comes along wondering about the VZ239H vs VC239H, I sent an email to ASUS asking if they share the same panel and they said this:

It has the same IPS panel and the same LCD screen features.

This is what convinced me to get the VZ239H, as a number of reviews suggest that the VC239H is a capable performer when properly calibrated (and surprisingly good even out of the box). Them sharing the same panel means the VZ239H should perform similarly - if not identically - to the VC239H for around $70 cheaper when taxes are included. From my research, the VZ239H lacks VESA mounting and DVI connectivity in addition to using capacitive buttons when compared to the VC239H (which has VESA, DVI, and physical controls). They also have a different stand and rear I/O layouts. The VC239H is an updated model which is why the (older) VZ239H is so cheap.

I'm including all this here so that no-one else has to do all the research I did. This is very nearly all the information I was able to find comparing the two, pick one and be happy with either.

Original post follows. </edit>

I'm looking at these three monitors in particular to choose one to complement my nice 4K one. I need it to have as good as possible colour accuracy out of the box (sRGB), and it should be less than $250 CAD. These are the options I'm looking at: 

ASUS VZ239H ($169, Amazon)

ASUS VC239H ($229, Staples)

Dell P2317H ($199, Newegg)

Let me know if you can help with any of these things:

• What is the probable quality (i.e. colour accuracy) of these displays? Particularly in regards to the Dell.
  • Do you think the two ASUS models share the same panel? They seem identical otherwise...
  • What are the chances the Dell model is any good? I can't find any reviews.

I don't care about latency or anything like that aside from colour accuracy, although the adjustable stand on the Dell looks nice. 

Also let me know if you have any more suggestions for IPS displays with good colour accuracy under $250 CAD. Thanks!

Well color accuracy is relative to the accuracy of the content creators accuracy or the content consumers accuracy. Essentially if the content creators accuracy is different from yours , or your accuracy is different from your prospective consumer , then it doesn't matter at all. 

At that price point I can't imagine their accuracy will be anything out of the ordinary.

27 minutes ago, sensi277 said:

Any decent IPS display should have 99-100% of SRGB, just google [display name] sRGB to find what each has

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Well color accuracy is relative to the accuracy of the content creators accuracy or the content consumers accuracy. Essentially if the content creators accuracy is different from yours , or your accuracy is different from your prospective consumer , then it doesn't matter at all. 

At that price point I can't imagine their accuracy will be anything out of the ordinary.

I'm creating video content. I want as close to sRGB as possible. 

Just now, Streetguru said:

Any decent IPS display should have 99-100% of SRGB, just google [display name] sRGB to find what each has

Coverage != Accuracy. A monitor can have 100% sRGB coverage but that doesn't mean the colours will appear correct.

Just now, sensi277 said:

I'm creating video content. I want as close to sRGB as possible. 

Well again keep in mind that you aren't going to really see apple display quality levels at this price point. If content creation is your day job then investing in a more expensive display wouldn't be a bad idea. 

I think u should find a review for each of those monitor and find the DELTA E measurement to determine the color accuracy because i am sure most of us wont know about how well each of those monitor perform.

Although at that price point  i doubt it will going to be that accurate compared to high end monitor.

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Becareful. They just claimed to have 100% sRGB coverage but it doesnt especially at $100 price range.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

2 minutes ago, sensi277 said:

Coverage != Accuracy. A monitor can have 100% sRGB coverage but that doesn't mean the colours will appear correct.

I doubt there's a major difference between most of them

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

On 12/12/2017 at 7:58 PM, Hiya! said:

That's just the problem: I can only find Delta E measurements for the VC239H. The VZ239H is $50 cheaper and the P2317H has a nice stand and is a Dell.

Edit: Solved, see main post.