Rumour: Intel Core 9000 series to get more threads

porina

All this tells me that people who invested in Kaby Lake, especially in the few months leading up to Coffee Lake's release, just got royally screwed lol.

I'm glad I sold my well binned 7700K to a friend then switched to Ryzen tbh. I don't care about 144hz gaming, so the extra single threaded performance was pointless for me.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

20 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

How did a thread about the 9th Gen Intel processors get sidetracked to discussions about word derivations? O.o

This is what happens when we discuss rumo(u)rs, I plead innocent in any involvement. (Shhh, I totally didn't add fire to the derailing)

From here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/i7-9700k-8-16-core-and-others-leaked-is-this-legit.2528790/page-5#post-39200200

So this is a recent Roadmap and Icelake isn't to be seen this year. Looks like the "Icelake in early 2019" rumors have more weight. Also, Cascade Lake-X (the Skylake-X refresh) is Q4 2018.

4a57d565f5e9417ba5d4bbfdfc0b25a7.jpg

I'd assume 2 core would remain for Pentium/Celeron territory. I don't see the much speculated 8 core mainstream part.

Cascade Lake answers the what and when for HEDT, but leaves many more questions open. Timing doesn't sound unreasonable as it'll be about a year on from Skylake-X. Old school plan would be real Kaby Lake-X (not the repurposed desktop CPUs) or maybe Coffee Lake-X, but now it is into the unknown... I wouldn't see any reason to ditch 2066 unless they did something radically different.

KKJ - am I missing something? It reminds me of an ancient anime but I can't think of any other possible references.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

42 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:
  • 2-core CFL-S CPU... ._. are those the Pentium Metal-That's-Stereotypically-Not-As-Valued?
  • 35W CPUs. must be those T-ending units
  • oh wow no Coffee Lake for HEDT at all
  • I kind of get a feeling that Cascade Lake X is going to ditch LGA 2066 (at least in pinout or disusing the X299 PCH) for some reason ._. maybe because of the KBLX mess
  • they went with KKJ for the acronym, seriously?!

There's an entire slate of 2c/2t and 2c/4t parts. They get used in different systems all over the place. Those parts go in things like NUCs and everything else people use Intel parts for.

Cascade Lake-X has been known for a bit. It's also the codename for the Server parts. It's the Mesh designs on 14nm++. So it is Coffee Lake, but the Server and Client parts are now fairly different design branches. Even for most of the main parts of the "core". 

49 minutes ago, porina said:

I'd assume 2 core would remain for Pentium/Celeron territory. I don't see the much speculated 8 core mainstream part.

Cascade Lake answers the what and when for HEDT, but leaves many more questions open. Timing doesn't sound unreasonable as it'll be about a year on from Skylake-X. Old school plan would be real Kaby Lake-X (not the repurposed desktop CPUs) or maybe Coffee Lake-X, but now it is into the unknown... I wouldn't see any reason to ditch 2066 unless they did something radically different.

KKJ - am I missing something? It reminds me of an ancient anime but I can't think of any other possible references.

Cascade Lake-X might see a +2c shift for HEDT. Given the power savings going up the 14nm revisions, I'd expect the next generation of HEDT & Servers to see a slightly larger number of cores per design. For the non-HEDT servers, I heard that the top SKU might be 32c, but we'll see.

On 27/11/2017 at 2:25 PM, FloRolf said:

Intel Fanboi beginning of 2017 'nobody needs 8cores, that's completely useless for gaming, quad core ftw, Intel is much better! 

Intel Fanboi end of 2017  'OMFG THE NEW 9700K WILL FEATURE 8 CORES, THAT'S THE BIGGEST BREAKTHROUGH IN TECHNOLOGY EVER! 

And IPC will be the same as haswell, lol. 

Isn't that typical fanboy behaviour?

Saying something better is worse, but when their favorite brand catches up it suddenly means the world.

Look both AMD/Intel have their place in this market, having Intel alone would cause a 2013-2017 all over again; no innovation, just the same stuff rereleased.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

From here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/i7-9700k-8-16-core-and-others-leaked-is-this-legit.2528790/page-5#post-39200200

So this is a recent Roadmap and Icelake isn't to be seen this year. Looks like the "Icelake in early 2019" rumors have more weight. Also, Cascade Lake-X (the Skylake-X refresh) is Q4 2018.

4a57d565f5e9417ba5d4bbfdfc0b25a7.jpg

That makes more sense, I mean Ryzen 2 is supposedly to come out in 2019 as well right?

7 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

That makes more sense, I mean Ryzen 2 is supposedly to come out in 2019 as well right?

depends on what you mean by Ryzen 2?

Zen+ is basically guaranteed out by 2018

Zen2 is Q4 2018 or early 2019.

I expect Zen+ to get the Ryzen 2 name and Zen2 to get Ryzen 3

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

depends on what you mean by Ryzen 2?

Zen+ is basically guaranteed out by 2018

Zen2 is Q4 2018 or early 2019.

I expect Zen+ to get the Ryzen 2 name and Zen2 to get Ryzen 3

Ryzen 2000 series should be out in February through April of 2018.  "Zen 2", likely Ryzen 3000 series, should be out in H1 2019.

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Cascade Lake-X might see a +2c shift for HEDT. Given the power savings going up the 14nm revisions, I'd expect the next generation of HEDT & Servers to see a slightly larger number of cores per design. For the non-HEDT servers, I heard that the top SKU might be 32c, but we'll see.

I think you're forgetting about EMIB. Intel knows AMD is planning a 48-core part.

11 hours ago, Bit_Guardian said:

I think you're forgetting about EMIB. Intel knows AMD is planning a 48-core part.

EMIB is 2020 at the earliest for a Chiplet design. Intel are monolithic until Sapphire Rapids, from everything we've seen/heard.

On 11/27/2017 at 6:12 AM, mynameisjuan said:

Just like pricing rumors for the 8700k? Like people were saying they were going to be $500 MSRP and even though every top end desktop chip has been $350 for years and would you look at that.....it was $350. I expect the 9700k to be around the same also

What are you talking about?

https://ark.intel.com/products/126684/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_70-GHz

https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz

Now show me a link where an 8700k is available for $350?

Either way, MSRP means nothing when you can't buy it for that price.

Every single person, including those on this forum, spent well over MSRP for theirs because they have no self control and value bragging rights over principle.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

Just now, Hellion said:

What are you talking about?

https://ark.intel.com/products/126684/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_70-GHz

https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz

Now show me a link where an 8700k is available for $350?

Either way, MSRP means nothing when you can't buy it for that price.

Every single person including those on this forum spent well over MSRP for theirs because they have no self control and value bragging rights over principle.

Holy shit $9.00 of difference.....shoot me now I guess. 

Its going to be around ~$350....period. And no shit MSRP means nothing but that is its official cost. 

13 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its going to be around ~$350....period. And no shit MSRP means nothing but that is its official cost. 

The MSRP for the 7700k is $339 - $350.

The MSRP for the 8700k is $359 - $370.

If quoting $350 (the highest value in the MSRP range) as the "MSRP of the 7700k", it seems just a bit disingenuous of you to quote the $359 as the "MSRP" of the 8700k", which is the lowest value in its MSRP range.

Apples to apples, oranges to oranges!

28 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

20 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

The MSRP for the 7700k is $339 - $350.

The MSRP for the 8700k is $359 - $370.

If quoting $350 (the highest value in the MSRP range) as the "MSRP of the 7700k", it seems just a bit disingenuous of you to quote the $359 as the "MSRP" of the 8700k", which is the lowest value in its MSRP range.

Apples to apples, oranges to oranges!

He'd rather tell a lie to fit his narritive. It's nothing new unfortunately.

Either way, it doesn't matter. The lowest I've seen an 8700k available for is $400 so his point is moot.

1 minute ago, Hellion said:

Either way, it doesn't matter. The lowest I've seen an 8700k available for is $400 so his point is moot.

On 12/1/2017 at 7:10 AM, nexus6 said:

Explain "Aluminum" then :P  That's just the wrong word.

On 12/1/2017 at 7:42 AM, Drak3 said:

Aluminum is the older version. Aluminium only exists because some dumbass wanted consistency.

If either word is wrong, it's aluminium.

Language evolves constantly, there is no "wrong" word.    In fact even within English dialects, e.g within the one country and within the space of 20 years we can see words change spelling and common use definitions. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

36 minutes ago, Hellion said:

Lie about prices? jesus christ you two are having a problem of being +/-$10...

Also $400 is not MSRP. Basing prices around non-MSRP prices is fucking useless because it varies on launch between stores, hype and type of product. Still, the amount of people screaming the 8700k was going to $500+ and then were shit on when some stores were selling it for $380, which is going to be the same situation for the 9000 series. 

17 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Lie about prices?

It's not lying, just disingenuous with the cherry picking of values from the 2 price ranges ;).

jesus christ you two are having a problem of being +/-$10...

How about a small experiment? Go to your bank and tell the clerk you would like to deposit $370 of cash, but only present $360 instead. Tell us how that goes 9_9 (it's only +/- $10).

12 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Lie about prices? jesus christ you two are having a problem of being +/-$10...

Also $400 is not MSRP. Basing prices around non-MSRP prices is fucking useless because it varies on launch between stores, hype and type of product. Still, the amount of people screaming the 8700k was going to $500+ and then were shit on when some stores were selling it for $380, which is going to be the same situation for the 9000 series. 

It's useless?

I guess the never ending complaints about the price of AMD cards must all be meaningless then, right?

People don't factor in a purchase decision based on what the manufacturer states it should cost. They do so based on the actual obtainable price.

Logic.

7 minutes ago, Hellion said:

It's useless?

I guess the never ending complaints about the price of AMD cards must all be meaningless then, right?

People don't factor in a purchase decision based on what the manufacturer states it should cost. They do so based on the actual obtainable price.

Logic.

Its useless in the fact that people shit all over intel...."OMG the 8700k is $400, intel your greedy bastard"....when in reality they say no, its should be $359, but mindless idiots continue to blame it on intel when its the distributor jacking up the prices. This is about someone bringing up the cost of the 9000 series and blaming intel, just like intel is going to charge $500 for the 8700k. Again I am not talking about final cost, this is about intel's release cost....INTEL'S.

42 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its useless in the fact that people shit all over intel...."OMG the 8700k is $400, intel your greedy bastard"....when in reality they say no, its should be $359, but mindless idiots continue to blame it on intel when its the distributor jacking up the prices. This is about someone bringing up the cost of the 9000 series and blaming intel, just like intel is going to charge $500 for the 8700k. Again I am not talking about final cost, this is about intel's release cost....INTEL'S.

And the point being is that MSRP doesn't matter when you can't get it for that price...

If you want to discuss whose at fault for the prices being what they are then it does fall back onto intel because they rushed the product stack to market in attempt to regain lost market share when they clearly weren't ready to do so. They did not have enough stock to meet the demand and therefore prices increased.

Just like if AMD was able to produce enough cards to support both miners and desktop systems then their video cards would still be at MSRP.

So either way, you have nothing to back your claim with.

I don't make a purchase then cry to my credit card company that the charge isn't right because I paid more then MSRP.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

there is no "wrong" word. 

Except Aluminium.

Microkappa.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands