Most INSANE SSD RAID Setup – IT BOOTS!

CPotter

You talk about real life performance, yet only showed us synthetic benchmarks instead of boottime in seconds.

Why?

Ignoring the RAID initialization delays, was windows able to boot any faster?

1 minute ago, Discy said:

You talk about real life performance, yet only showed us synthetic benchmarks instead of boottime in seconds.

Why Linus?

The setup was frustrating them and they forgot i guess :P

That's ok, who's going to go spend $1000+ (or 500 if you get the smaller sized) on SSD's to get such speeds anyways? First and second test (on Crystal) can be out performed with 10 drives (cheaper than $1000), so only benefit is if you are randomly accessing multiple points simultaneously Beyond what one would normally do... AKA servers that do lots of file creation moving etc.

Reminds me of

:P

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

Man, not cool. You tell about how you don't want to just test with synthetic tests and yet you do exactly this. Where is boot time of Windows and/or Ubuntu, loading speeds HDD vs SSD vs This Stinky RAID. wtf? It's infuriating and disgusting.

I liked the video due to my interest in a setup similar to what was shown, although some benchmarks of real world activities would have been nice to determine if there is a difference or not in day to day tasks.

I'm hoping the software matures more in the coming years as I really hope to avoid SATA drives when I upgrade in a year or two.
The hardware on the other hand, especially from Samsung just goes from strength to strength.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

11 hours ago, Discy said:

Why?

This would not really affect boot times as the BIOS have serveral task's it REQUIRES to perform no matter what in order to detect ram, cpu, disks an so on to start up.... It might even take longer since it has to verify all the disks...

what he should do is the synthetic benchmarks and real world task... etc install a huge 50-80Gb game or similar... to show of it's performance.

2 hours ago, Etah said:

Man, not cool. You tell about how you don't want to just test with synthetic tests and yet you do exactly this. Where is boot time of Windows and/or Ubuntu, loading speeds HDD vs SSD vs This Stinky RAID. wtf? It's infuriating and disgusting.

This would not really affect boot times as the BIOS have serveral task's it REQUIRES to perform no matter what in order to detect ram, cpu, disks an so on to start up.... It might even take longer since it has to verify all the disks...

what he should do is the synthetic benchmarks and real world task... etc install a huge 50-80Gb game or similar... to show of it's performance.

*wooot* only 4?! Thats not even a handful! You need to step this up a notch or six :P

And hell show windows boot if you talk about booting. How dare you.

19 hours ago, Frothar said:

Der8aer out did you guys a bot here. 27 GBs/s

Thats a nice one. Not sure if he booted from that. But definitively closer to replace ram with persistent storage :D - if that is a goal somehow.

I am dying to know what song starts playing at 1:40. No info in description :(

I'll even pay for it :D

Can it be done with anything lower then a Ryzen 1900? Like a Ryzen 5 1600? Or is it only the top of line that comes with this support?

Whats the max amount of drives that can be used on threadripper?

each drive takes 4 lanes? 

On 16-11-2017 at 9:32 AM, kladzen said:

[..]

what he should do is the synthetic benchmarks and real world task [..]

Agree

On 15-11-2017 at 11:04 PM, Egg-Roll said:

The setup was frustrating them and they forgot i guess :P

That's ok, who's going to go spend $1000+ (or 500 if you get the smaller sized) on SSD's to get such speeds anyways? First and second test (on Crystal) can be out performed with 10 drives (cheaper than $1000), so only benefit is if you are randomly accessing multiple points simultaneously Beyond what one would normally do... AKA servers that do lots of file creation moving etc.

Well yes, nobody. Though it would give some kind of way to intepreted the speed which I would found interesting to see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can a Z170 system do anything with that card? RAID and Boot out of the question of course, but can you just put four nvme drives in it, pop it in a Z170 mobo and use it as normal storage?

• 3 months later...

love it how shill linus just HAD to try and push intel here and how dissapointed he sounded when he had to use amd...

and btw, this all works on linux better and out of the box basically

• 2 months later...

I used an Alienware Laptop, I installed two 960 EVO's and set them up in RAID 0. Got windows installed and was not able to replicate anything close to what Linus has here. No real performance increase other than write speed. Any opinions I am using Intel's Rapid Platform. I have and the 8th gen core i7 CPU. My Alienware comes with 3 m.2 NVME slots. Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

• 7 months later...
On 11/15/2017 at 1:32 PM, jools said:

linus has nice nail varnish @ 1.11

You can get that shiny without varnish, Just a solid buffing.