[SOLVED] Windows 10 black screen with system32 cmd prompt

6 minutes ago, phumkie said:

Resetting my pc worked, thanks to everyone that helped!

Glad to be of assistance

• 3 months later...
On 11/15/2017 at 10:00 PM, Swaffy said:

Did you try the commands in command prompt?

The registry entry to check is:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell if this is not explorer.exe then change it back so it is. Hopefully you can get in regedit from the command prompt.

YOU ARE GOD, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS <3333

• 6 months later...
On 11/16/2017 at 1:30 AM, Swaffy said:

Did you try the commands in command prompt?

The registry entry to check is:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell if this is not explorer.exe then change it back so it is. Hopefully you can get in regedit from the command prompt.

i directl typed explorer.exe but i have to do this every time it booys up as u said i am in that shell folder in regedit there is only on key that is (Default). What are u exactly telling to change

ive had this problem for the past 2 months or so. tried everything like sfc scan. havent tried resetting though. registry entries are correct too.  i have not shut down or restarted in this period. just putting the pc to sleep. i was thinking maybe it would be possible to make a batch file and put it in the startup folder.

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry for reviving this thread, but I found the ACTUAL solution to this problem, as opposed to just reinstalling Windows. Since this thread comes up near the top of Google results for this issue, I think it can actually help people.

The answer is to open the registry editor (press Start and type regedit) and check the registry location below for a key called 'Shell'. For people experiencing this problem the key is there and it has a value of %comspec%. For people with healthy systems, that key isn't there. So simply delete the key and reboot!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

There is also a 'Shell' key in the registry location below, and that one SHOULD be there, and its values SHOULD be explorer.exe.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

I hope this helps someone some day, and saves them the headache of having to reinstall/reset/refresh Windows.