Firefox 57 (aka Quantum) out now. Huge performance improvements.

pyrojoe34

Just a random post: It seems that on Nightly, if you hover over a tab, it will show its PID.

Edit: Picture for context

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ac0af4d4b8cee4e156cf52d0b5a36243.png

Edited by Guest
Picture for context!

13 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Just a random post: It seems that on Nightly, if you hover over a tab, it will show its PID.

Edit: Picture for context

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.ac0af4d4b8cee4e156cf52d0b5a36243.png

It's sad when an on topic post is considered "random"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's sad when an on topic post is considered "random"

To be fair, I would say that this topic post is on Firefox 57 while mine was on 59 :P

3 minutes ago, tjcater said:

To be fair, I would say that this topic post is on Firefox 57 while mine was on 59 :P

how are you that far ahead?  Australia maybe? :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

how are you that far ahead?  Australia maybe? :P

FIrefox -> 57

Beta/Developer Edition -> 58

Nightly -> 59

Just in the middle of no where USA ;)

I wiped my computer, installed FF57, logged into FF57, and none of my stuff populated =( .. addons, theme, bookmarks, and settings all gone. Anyone else have this issue?

45 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

I wiped my computer, installed FF57, logged into FF57, and none of my stuff populated =( .. addons, theme, bookmarks, and settings all gone. Anyone else have this issue?

Might be a dumb question, but were you signed into your FireFox Sync account before the wipe, and after the wipe did you sign back in?

Some plugins may be incompatible with the new version. Bookmarks, etc, should come back immediately after the first sync.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

If you read the details, FF sync is not like google's cloud solution.  They don't actually store any data, it's just a facilitator for peer to peer syncing, so if you are logged in one more than one system, settings will sync from one to the other, but if you erase all at once you start fresh

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you read the details, FF sync is not like google's cloud solution.  They don't actually store any data, it's just a facilitator for peer to peer syncing, so if you are logged in one more than one system, settings will sync from one to the other, but if you erase all at once you start fresh

Oh mannnnnnnn I never realized that's how it worked. I disconnected my sync on my sons computer last week so he could make his own. I've always had his synced so whenever I did a fresh install I was still logged in somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not 100% confident that's how it works.

Can you confirm a source?

Because FF Sync documentation online says this:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ive-lost-my-firefox-sync-account-information

Firefox Sync works by storing your data on Mozilla servers and synchronizing it with your computers and devices.

9 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Oh mannnnnnnn I never realized that's how it worked. I disconnected my sync on my sons computer last week so he could make his own. I've always had his synced so whenever I did a fresh install I was still logged in somewhere. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I'm not 100% confident that's how it works.

Can you confirm a source?

Because FF Sync documentation online says this:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ive-lost-my-firefox-sync-account-information

That's what I read when I signed up... hm...

I dug through my history and found a page with this on it:

Capture.PNG.05f1403f150d1c6d4c7f2500be819375.PNG

(I knew I hadn't just hallucinated this xD)

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's what I read when I signed up... hm...

I dug through my history and found a page with this on it:

Capture.PNG.05f1403f150d1c6d4c7f2500be819375.PNG

(I knew I hadn't just hallucinated this xD)

Weird - they need to be significantly more clear about that, because the FAQ/help doc I found didn't mention that at all.

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Weird - they need to be significantly more clear about that, because the FAQ/help doc I found didn't mention that at all.

Yeah tbh I'm not even sure which to believe now, your quote seems pretty convincing that it was in fact storing things in the cloud xD

Yeah tbh I'm not even sure which to believe now, your quote seems pretty convincing that it was in fact storing things in the cloud xD

I use both FF and Chrome sync accounts.

I've never had an issue w/ my FF sync account not downloading bookmarks, etc.

Esp. my work computer. Which is the only computer to have the account synced. When I've reinstalled the computer in the past, I'm fairly confident FF sync worked without issue, and there would not have been a second computer online to "pull" from.

I dunno. Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I use both FF and Chrome sync accounts.

I've never had an issue w/ my FF sync account not downloading bookmarks, etc.

Esp. my work computer. Which is the only computer to have the account synced. When I've reinstalled the computer in the past, I'm fairly confident FF sync worked without issue, and there would not have been a second computer online to "pull" from.

I dunno. Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

I was banking on magic. Never stopped and thought how this process actually worked. 

8 hours ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

I was banking on magic. Never stopped and thought how this process actually worked. 

Magic is always the best way :P

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Firefox and all derivatives are now disavowed on all systems I iwn or manage, regardless of OS. I've had it breached too many times.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

30 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Firefox and all derivatives are now disavowed on all systems I iwn or manage, regardless of OS. I've had it breached too many times.

What do you mean by "breached"?

57 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What do you mean by "breached"?

Trusted websites* redirecting to scam sites, malware hosts, and random download triggers for .js, .exe, and .msi files of unknown origin, regardless of physical machine, ISP, OS, adblockers, noscripts, misc. addons, install and version, and without any files in the temp folder, download folder, user/home folders, program folders.

*Sites are as follows

Microsoft.com

LinusTechTips.com

Youtube

Google

Credit Union websites

Bank websites

Apple.com

Wikipedia

Tumblr

The problem does not persist in:

Edge

Chrome on desktop

Safari

Valvidi

Internet Explorer 11

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Trusted websites* redirecting to scam sites, malware hosts, and random download triggers for .js, .exe, and .msi files of unknown origin, regardless of physical machine, ISP, OS, adblockers, noscripts, misc. addons, install and version, and without any files in the temp folder, download folder, user/home folders, program folders.

*Sites are as follows

Microsoft.com

LinusTechTips.com

Youtube

Google

Credit Union websites

Bank websites

Apple.com

Wikipedia

Tumblr

The problem does not persist in:

Edge

Chrome on desktop

Safari

Valvidi

Internet Explorer 11

What AV is running on these machines?

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What AV is running on these machines?

Windows Defender

Avast

AVG

Kaspersky Labs

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Windows Defender

Avast

AVG

Kaspersky Labs

Windows only supports 1 A/V. So, pick one. Else, they are virtually useless.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Windows only supports 1 A/V. So, pick one. Else, they are virtually useless.

Multiple machines.

Also, multiple A/V can be used with relative ease.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 14/11/2017 at 6:21 PM, Dutch-stoner said:

Someone else had an topic about firefox 57 already. Tried it, and my first search was on how to go back. Really dislike the looks/no support for classic skin stuff.

This was me as soon as the update came to dev edition - subsequent days were spent rolling back addons that upgraded to insuperior new versions and disabling updates left right and centre. Sad to know most of my addons that I've been using for years like Strict Popup Blocker can't work in FF57 because the APIs don't exist at all...

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Windows Defender

Avast

AVG

Kaspersky Labs

Pretty sure something's injected rogue proxy settings into your firefox install, or something's just up with your network

On 14/11/2017 at 6:45 PM, GoodBytes said:

I can't predict the future, but I think the add-ons will updated shortly.. it is not the first time that Firefox had a change to the add-on system that required updated. And if it doesn't, you'll have some alternative that will show up that is equal or better.

Unfortunately most of the developer addons don't have compatible APIs and the newer versions of addons such as Stylish are really lacking in functionality or not working at all. It's an absolute horror show right now for long-time firefox users, but maybe less so the new users with a less expansive profile.

On 14/11/2017 at 8:58 PM, MyName13 said:

I can't find that on the Android version.

The android version supports addons but not themes as far as I know :(

On 15/11/2017 at 5:51 PM, porina said:

Just updated on a laptop with an old version. They need to work on the updater, why do I need to jump from 46.0.1 to 47.0.2 to 56.0 to 57.0? Anyway, after installing ublock origin to match my chrome install, trying it side by side they seem similar in feel. In itself, that's not enough to get me to switch. I don't want similar, I want better, and so far, I don't see it. I'm also more concerned about Mozilla's lack of consistency as one of the reasons I moved away from FF was they kept messing around with the UI every major version.

I think that drawn out process was used so the user profile data could be converted or whatever for the newer version of FF. But still leaves much to be desired as the installer should have just handled it.

On 11/12/2017 at 6:06 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

The early version of FF sync used to be like that, and it was horrible. There were some times where it wouldn't even sign in. However that was like two years ago or something, and it's cloud based now. Very reliable too, I find myself shuffling tabs around between devices and its basically real-time (with the exception of history which syncs every now and then, if enabled).

I found this https://web.archive.org/web/20120107221626/http://support.mozilla.org:80/en-US/kb/how-do-i-set-up-firefox-sync on wayback machine but it mentions mozilla servers, I'm more than sure this was around the time ff sync was P2P though, as this page mentions end-to-end stuff in the sidebar https://web.archive.org/web/20110923135414/http://www.mozilla.org:80/en-US/mobile/sync

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

@burnttoastnice

In regards to themes for the android version , just open the normal Firefox 'get add ons' webpage and click the themes link. This was only tested in nightly though so it may not have been released onto stable.