Nightmare sceniaro NK nuke strike on China

Had a thought occur to me last night as I was watching random gamers nexus videos.

What if North Korea decided to nuke a major memory/cpu production center in China/Japan/Taiwan?

First off it would be a suicide move by NK that much would be clear but the lasting ramifications of such a strike would be serious.

The price of just about every electronic device from phones/computers/etc would spike hard and even getting a hold of some of these things would likely become difficult until new production lines were built outside of the effected areas.

This price jump could roll over into other markets as suddenly the price of equipment jumps thus the cost passed to the end customer goes up with it.

The western world would be hit very hard by such a strike and one could say that it would be at least on par with a nuke strike on a major city like LA, San Fran, Seattle, or Vancouver to name a few.

So what say you people of LTT do we have a bigger potential situation should NK go off the deep end? Have we finally hit the point of over centralizing production of critical components?

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

A nuclear blast radius isn't limited to some particular electronic factory... just look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki

What would get Nuked? AMD or Intel? Be a good LTT video how to E.M.P. Nuke proof computer.

Steam Profile

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 3800 MHz (38.00 x 100)  /Offset + v 0.018

Asus Hero VI Motherboard
NZXT Kraken X62

G Skill F4-3200C14-8GFX  O.C. 3200 MHZ (14-14-14-28 ) x 2   1.4 v
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2  (8 GB)
27 Dell 2K 144 Hz G sync display

We'd have a lot more to worry about if NK touched off a hydrogen bomb, also they wouldn't nuke china since they are the ones keeping those idiots alive right now

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

if it hits a factory it's probably gonna blow up whatever city it's in along with the factory, and if that happens then north korea can immediately kiss it's ass goodbye. don't forget china has nukes, and Japan is protected by the US's nuclear umbrella, kim tries anything and nukes are gonna fly towards NK. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Hopefully, it hits Intel's i3 production plant so the Pentium G4560 becomes cheap again.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

if it hits a factory it's probably gonna blow up whatever city it's in along with the factory, and if that happens then north korea can immediately kiss it's ass goodbye. don't forget china has nukes, and Japan is protected by the US's nuclear umbrella, kim tries anything and nukes are gonna fly towards NK. 

That would be a given but while NK would become Fallout 5 the effects of their last strike would by far outlive them if it hits a major production center.

calm down . it's just war of words for now , NK officials are just trying to stay relevant . they had a yuge chance before hand & avoided it deliberately to deter an invited conflict .

Details separate people.

17 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

Had a thought occur to me last night as I was watching random gamers nexus videos.

What if North Korea decided to nuke a major memory/cpu production center in China/Japan/Taiwan?

First off it would be a suicide move by NK that much would be clear but the lasting ramifications of such a strike would be serious.

The price of just about every electronic device from phones/computers/etc would spike hard and even getting a hold of some of these things would likely become difficult until new production lines were built outside of the effected areas.

This price jump could roll over into other markets as suddenly the price of equipment jumps thus the cost passed to the end customer goes up with it.

The western world would be hit very hard by such a strike and one could say that it would be at least on par with a nuke strike on a major city like LA, San Fran, Seattle, or Vancouver to name a few.

So what say you people of LTT do we have a bigger potential situation should NK go off the deep end? Have we finally hit the point of over centralizing production of critical components?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_semiconductor_fabrication_plants

The only one who would be hit hard that we would mostly care about would be TSMC in this situation, but there are other major players that could pick up the slack like Samsung and Intel (well, if Intel would make things other than Intel parts)

Basically it would hurt for a little bit, but it wouldn't be a doomsday scenario.

EDIT: Also I don't think DPRK would have a nuke powerful enough to wipe out more than a handful of these plants anyway.

9 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

North Korea nuking China would spell the end of the Koreas.

I think China's military power would be focused just on disabling NK's military and slaughtering the whackjob publically, and avoid the potential headache of violating treatings, leading to WWIII.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

well, if Intel would make things other than Intel parts

Isn't Intel making a bunch of 10mm ARM chips for smartphone manufacturers now too? I thought I heard something about them using their 10nm process for SOCs on some LG smartphone or another. May be remembering wrong though.

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Isn't Intel making a bunch of 10mm ARM chips for smartphone manufacturers now too? I thought I heard something about them using their 10nm process for SOCs on some LG smartphone or another. May be remembering wrong though.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did, but I figure they're too snobby to make anyone elses parts.

EDIT: Well now: https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/16/12507568/intel-arm-mobile-chips-licensing-deal-idf-2016

Honestly after a nuclear strike the fate of one or two silicon manufacturing plants would be the least of my concerns... millions could (and probably would) have died! Factories can be rebuilt, people don't come back.

And while prices may go up, don't think there are just a couple of fabs that produce all consumer electronics... a price spike would be temporary and not apocalypse level for sure (besides, our society isn't THAT reliant on a constant stream of new hardware, especially not at the infrastructure level).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I think China's military power would be focused just on disabling NK's military and slaughtering the whackjob publically, and avoid the potential headache of violating treatings, leading to WWIII.

If China annexed NK nobody would move a finger.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Honestly after a nuclear strike the fate of one or two silicon manufacturing plants would be the least of my concerns... millions could (and probably would) have died! Factories can be rebuilt, people don't come back.

And while prices may go up, don't think there are just a couple of fabs that produce all consumer electronics... a price spike would be temporary and not apocalypse level for sure (besides, our society isn't THAT reliant on a constant stream of new hardware, especially not at the infrastructure level).

What drove some of my thoughts was (I think) in 2012/2013 there was a major fire at a Chinese factory that made ram and that drove up the cost of ram in general which took years to overcome and by then other forces had reared it heads nullifying at best any price drops from increased production. I took that just applied it to a larger scale.

1 minute ago, Hybris5112 said:

What drove some of my thoughts was (I think) in 2012/2013 there was a major fire at a Chinese factory that made ram and that drove up the cost of ram in general which took years to overcome and by then other forces had reared it heads nullifying at best any price drops from increased production. I took that just applied it to a larger scale.

And yet it hardly threatened the western world with doomsday... people like us will be annoyed that their ram and ssds are more expensive, but in the grand scheme it really doesn't matter. A nuke wouldn't be much different from a couple of fabs catching fire from this perspective.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Doesn't intel have a manufacturing plant in Ireland?  

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I'm disregarding and not reading other comments. BUT. In reality, here is how it would be.

If NK were to nuke anyone they would nuke Japan. They wouldn't dare nuke China as that is their main source of economy and trade between them went up 40% in the first quarters of this year. Nuking Japan would have devastating effects on North Korea, possible leading a 4 way invasion onto North Korea from America, Japan, South Korea and China, though I would think china would more likely do a power grid and economy shut down/ break down. 

So in all seriousness, them nuking China wouldn't happen.

Just now, Damascus said:

Doesn't intel have a manufacturing plant in Ireland?  

What does that have to do with anything?

If for some reason some idiot did decide to start a nuclear war, honestly, the prices of electronics would likely be the last thing on my mind...

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

major CPU/ram/flash is not made in china, but rather they are sent to china to be soldered onto boards (like memory sticks).

So if they get nuked, other businesses will get money going their way and the industry will only suffer a short shortage while other businesses get to pick up the slack and the retailers will be charging you more and more without reducing the price even when theres lots of supply.

31 minutes ago, NLTech said:

What does that have to do with anything?

Just pointing out that NK won't nuke them, meaning that intel at least won't be too effected.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Why stop at just China? For an individual who realizes he would probably not live long enough to see next morning if he launched even one, launching multiple nukes at multiple countries simultaneously would be the best means of maximizing damage, both in lives and infrastructure, and economically over the long term.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Hopefully, it hits Intel's i3 production plant so the Pentium G4560 becomes cheap again.

*Scrolls through thread, sees this, bursts out laughing* good meme would rate 11/10