Gaming server - Suggestions needed!

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

AMD Epyc doesn't offer very high clockspeeds. I strongly agree that PCIe lanes are extremely important for PCIe SSDs and SAS storage.

it also depends on how well threaded the game is too. But that 8 ram channels is something intel doesnt offer.

5 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

it also depends on how well threaded the game is too. But that 8 ram channels is something intel doesnt offer.

I haven't seen any AMD Epyc motherboards with SAS ports.

4 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

I haven't seen any AMD Epyc motherboards with SAS ports.

it doesnt need to come with SAS ports, some come with m.2 but more importantly, it has many PCIe lanes for SAS cards.

Do you even need 10'000$ server to have game server running on it for 200 players?

I think you can get server for that, under 2500$ without any problems.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

On 13.10.2017 at 1:59 PM, Simon771 said:

Do you even need 10'000$ server to have game server running on it for 200 players?

I think you can get server for that, under 2500$ without any problems.

doesn't seem like this post is legit anyways, zero response from OP to anyone i highly doubt there are 10k available to begin with.

5 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

doesn't seem like this post is legit anyways, zero response from OP to anyone i highly doubt there are 10k available to begin with.

If there are really around 150-200 players investing in one server ... 10k is not a problem.

But why spend so much if you can get great game server for much less.

I also don't understand why would they want to have server where only 150 players are playing all the time ... same 150 players over and over again?

And about high clock speed for game server ... game developers are usually hosting those servers on Xeon chips that have a lot of cores and not that high clock speed. Yet it works just fine. You are not playing on that server ... only sending data to the server and then server is sharing that data with other players, so they can see what you are doing in game. Raw CPU power is what comes in handy here if you ask me.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

If there are really around 150-200 players investing in one server ... 10k is not a problem.

But why spend so much if you can get great game server for much less.

I also don't understand why would they want to have server where only 150 players are playing all the time ... same 150 players over and over again?

And about high clock speed for game server ... game developers are usually hosting those servers on Xeon chips that have a lot of cores and not that high clock speed. Yet it works just fine. You are not playing on that server ... only sending data to the server and then server is sharing that data with other players, so they can see what you are doing in game. Raw CPU power is what comes in handy here if you ask me.

the issue in their case (if its even real) is that they play Arma which is a piece of shit game in terms of optimization both for the server and for the game itself.

I used to play Arma for a while and we had a server for hosting self made maps, 30-40 people on an back then relatively new I5 and the server was at its limit.

Its very very badly optimized.

2 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

the issue in their case (if its even real) is that they play Arma which is a piece of shit game in terms of optimization both for the server and for the game itself.

I used to play Arma for a while and we had a server for hosting self made maps, 30-40 people on an back then relatively new I5 and the server was at its limit.

Its very very badly optimized.

Didn't know that game could be also badly optimised for server side lol

But you should try play some MMORPG with 40 players around you ... even worse optimisation if you ask me.

WD My Cloud 4TB

CPU: 2x E5-2643V4 3.4 GHz (3.7 GHz boost) 6 cores 12 threads each 20 MB L3 cache DDR2400 ECC support

Motherboard: Supermicro X10DRL-i 

RAM: Hynix DDR4 2400 MHz ECC Registed (HMA42GR7AFR4N-UH)