LTT Forums Long Load Times

Katsunaka

I've experienced slow load times, too. It happens in Firefox and Chrome on two different PCs. Sometimes loading is fine, other times it's very slow or the site doesn't load at all.

Was worried that it's something to do with my router. Then I thought it might be the ISP or something like Cloudflare. For example, I'm getting the same slow loading (or zero loading) with feedly, which also uses Cloudflare.

I'm not too far from Chicago (~300 miles). Here's my trace output:

fl=14f153
h=linustechtips.com
ip=xx.xx.xxx.xx
ts=1503688789.313
visit_scheme=https
uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.101 Safari/537.36
colo=ORD
spdy=h2
http=h2
loc=US

Cloudflare has also posted this today:

Cloudflare is investigating delays of up to 30 minutes in making updates to DNS records globally. DNS resolution is still performing correctly - only record updates and changes are delayed.
Posted 40 minutes ago. Aug 25, 2017 - 18:44 UTC

(I don't know if any of these issues would be DNS related... I'm not too knowledgeable on these things.)

The rest of Cloudflare's status updates are here.

I've been experiencing these slow loading issues for almost one week. Don't remember when I first noticed them on LTT (2-3 days ago) but feedly was the first since I check feedly quite frequently every day.

Intel i5-4690K (3.5GHz, not OC'd) | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 16GB (8GBx2) Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz | XFX R9 390 8GB | Seagate 600 240GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB + Hitachi 2TB HDDs| EVGA 750W 80+ B2 | CM Hyper 212 Plus | Corsair 300R | Win 7 x64 Pro
UPS: CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave 1000VA/600W

4 hours ago, crystalclaw said:

for the past couple weeks floatplane club videos have been loading quite slowly for me as well (480p). when I download them, a 60mb video can take half an hour to an hour. download speeds on my most recent runs started out at what seemed like max speed, but then dropped down to 500kbps and would drop down to one or two for a few seconds, in recurring pulses. I'm on a 25/5 satellite connection, and can stream 1080p30 on youtube just fine. just now tried to download four videos; two videos failed to download with a network error, and two were corrupted and unopenable. netflix's fast.com is giving me a 10mbps down (likely because the ~1sec latency seems to really mess up speedtests), google's speedtest is giving me 28.10/3.32, and speedtest.net is giving me 21.10/2.62. I'm using chrome on a mac; safari gives me the similar results, as does chromium on arch linux using a wired 100FDX connection on the same network. the forum seems about normal in terms of load speed, maybe just a tad slow. here's my debug output; if there's any other info that may help I'd be happy to provide it.

EDIT: on this video, it slows/stops at EXACTLY 9.7mb every time. I will file a bug report, since I just noticed that link.

fl=15f84
h=linustechtips.com
ip=
ts=1503680725.915
visit_scheme=https
uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.90 Safari/537.36
colo=DFW
spdy=h2
http=h2
loc=US

That will be an unrelated issue, because Floatplane is hosted on separate infrastructure (and managed by different people), but I would guess that your latency doesn't help matters. If you send a PM to @CatBoiler he might be able to suggest some diagnostics.

4 hours ago, Katsunaka said:

Seems I have opened a can of worms. 

Sorry @colonel_mortis 

Cans of worms are needed to get major problems fixed.

2 hours ago, Vandelay said:

I've experienced slow load times, too. It happens in Firefox and Chrome on two different PCs. Sometimes loading is fine, other times it's very slow or the site doesn't load at all.

Was worried that it's something to do with my router. Then I thought it might be the ISP or something like Cloudflare. For example, I'm getting the same slow loading (or zero loading) with feedly, which also uses Cloudflare.

I'm not too far from Chicago (~300 miles). Here's my trace output:

Cloudflare has also posted this today:

(I don't know if any of these issues would be DNS related... I'm not too knowledgeable on these things.)

The rest of Cloudflare's status updates are here.

I've been experiencing these slow loading issues for almost one week. Don't remember when I first noticed them on LTT (2-3 days ago) but feedly was the first since I check feedly quite frequently every day.

The DNS issue that they're aware of is just about slow updates, which definitely isn't the issue here. However, it's looking pretty likely that it is a Cloudflare issue, especially based on what you've said about feedly.

I have reproduced the issue with a packet capture running (over a VPN to Chicago), so I will open a support ticket with them to hopefully get this issue resolved ASAP.

Thanks for all the trace outputs, and if anyone else is having the same issue I am still interested in seeing them to ensure that it is just localised to one PoP.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

That will be an unrelated issue, because Floatplane is hosted on separate infrastructure (and managed by different people), but I would guess that your latency doesn't help matters. If you send a PM to @CatBoiler he might be able to suggest some diagnostics.

-snip-

will give that a try, thanks. I did submit a bug report through the floatplane link as well.

18 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The DNS issue that they're aware of is just about slow updates, which definitely isn't the issue here. However, it's looking pretty likely that it is a Cloudflare issue, especially based on what you've said about feedly.

I have reproduced the issue with a packet capture running (over a VPN to Chicago), so I will open a support ticket with them to hopefully get this issue resolved ASAP.

Thanks for all the trace outputs, and if anyone else is having the same issue I am still interested in seeing them to ensure that it is just localised to one PoP.

Thanks for your response. I'm hoping this issue is Cloudflare related, since I've been wracking my brain for a few days trying to figure out what the problem is (first thinking it's an issue with browser/PC, then router, then ISP, etc.). It was strange that the slowdowns sometimes happened, then maybe 10 minutes later they'd be gone only to reappear later in the same browsing session. If the problem is external to my hardware/software, that relieves any stress and anxiety since there's nothing I can do but wait for the issue to be fixed. 

Also, I've just been using this page to check if a website uses Cloudflare. I don't know how reliable or accurate it is.

Other sites I've noticed the slowdowns or loading hangups:

Feedly

My Digital Life Forums

Cheap Ass Gamer Forums

Thanks again for taking the initiative to notify Cloudflare. Hopefully they can resolve whatever issues they're having. I wonder if other people/sites have noticed or experienced these same slowdowns with sites barely loading or getting "stuck" while loading.

Intel i5-4690K (3.5GHz, not OC'd) | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 16GB (8GBx2) Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz | XFX R9 390 8GB | Seagate 600 240GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB + Hitachi 2TB HDDs| EVGA 750W 80+ B2 | CM Hyper 212 Plus | Corsair 300R | Win 7 x64 Pro

The forums are sometimes slow for me as well, sometimes upwards of one minute to load a page. I have not been able to pinpoint why, but @iamdarkbowser says that MY profile and mine only takes ages to load on his PC (We are in the same household using the same network)

For me, I have issues on my desktop and on my phone. Any link I should keep handy for when something goes slow or something? We've got well over 100mbit download speeds here in reno.

Speed on forum is great here in denmark on my 150/50 vdsl

@colonel_mortis

On mobile I am not anymore. My load times are fasr again, sometimes it takes an few seconds to load but nothing like I was having before.

@colonel_mortis

I haven't experienced the slow loading (or no loading) issue here or on the other affected sites for 1-2 days. Hoping that whatever it was, the problem is resolved. :)

Thanks again. BTW, did Cloudflare specify what they think the issue is/was?

3 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

@Vandelay @Katsunaka @themctipers are you still having issues? Cloudflare say that the issue likely lies somewhere between them and us, so if it hasn't resolved itself already I can do some more digging.

My loading time issues have been resolved, no problems for a few days.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 hours ago, Katsunaka said:

@colonel_mortis

On mobile I am not anymore. My load times are fasr again, sometimes it takes an few seconds to load but nothing like I was having before.

3 hours ago, Vandelay said:

@colonel_mortis

I haven't experienced the slow loading (or no loading) issue here or on the other affected sites for 1-2 days. Hoping that whatever it was, the problem is resolved. :)

Thanks again. BTW, did Cloudflare specify what they think the issue is/was?

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

My loading time issues have been resolved, no problems for a few days.

Perfect. Thanks all of you for providing the logs, it made it much easier to narrow down the issue.

Cloudflare provided me with a traceroute from their network to our server showing that there was some packet loss along the route, but for some reason they did it from their Bangkok (Thailand) DC rather than Chicago, so it didn't show anything relevant. It's quite possible that it was a similar issue for you though, with high packet loss between Cloudflare and LTT or within Cloudflare's network. We'll almost certainly never know for sure though.

HTTP/2 203

On 8/25/2017 at 5:03 PM, colonel_mortis said:

Is it slow for you? Everyone else who has been experiencing slow load times has been connected to the Chicago datacenter (even though it doesn't appear to be the closest DC for them to connect to),  but you appear to be connected to the Singapore one.

It does feel a little slow.

fl=23f145
h=linustechtips.com
ts=1504783449.331
visit_scheme=https
uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
colo=HKG
spdy=h2
http=h2
loc=HK

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),