Is my CPU Cooler installed correctly?

FrostedPlate

Hey all!

My CM 212 Evo was getting really dirty recently so I decided to clean it and reapply the thermal paste.  (Artic Silver 5 TP by the way)

After everthing was finished I OC'd i7 4790k to 4.2 GHZ and ran cinebench. It hit a peak temp under max load of 73c.

Is this normal? I'm not certain if I may have applied the thermal paste correctly, as i've heard people getting 4.4 and even 4.6 with the same cooler and CPU.

2 minutes ago, Gungpae said:

As long as it's not hitting above 85, you're good.

I am aware about the thermal throttle temp limit, but is my temperature normal compared to what it's suppose to be? Just curious on if I applied the thermal paste properly. I am looking for the max OC i can get :)

2 minutes ago, FrostedPlate said:

I am aware about the thermal throttle temp limit, but is my temperature normal compared to what it's suppose to be? Just curious on if I applied the thermal paste properly. I am looking for the max OC i can get :)

212 EVO isn't a good cooler for max OC

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

212 EVO isn't a good cooler for max OC

Haha, i know. I meant the best OC I can get with this cooler.

1 minute ago, FrostedPlate said:

Haha, i know. I meant the best OC I can get with this cooler.

You aren't going to get much but I'm pretty sure that's normal

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

That's normal with the 212 Evo. On air, you're going to get pretty high temperatures. You're not close to tj so I wouldn't worry too much. The ambient temperature of your room also plays a big role in how much effective cooling you'll get.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Does your cpu cooler wobble or fall off when you stand your computer?

No then it's installed correctly

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Does your cpu cooler wobble or fall off when you stand your computer?

No then it's installed correctly

I'm more worried about the thermal paste I used. I certainly know not to use too much, but I feel like I may have undershot. I went for more/less a grain of rice size, maybe slightly less.

sounds like its right where I'd expect it with that cooler.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

11 minutes ago, FrostedPlate said:

I'm more worried about the thermal paste I used. I certainly know not to use too much, but I feel like I may have undershot. I went for more/less a grain of rice size, maybe slightly less.

Then remove, clean and reapply the amount you think it's correct, even though what you done already is fine.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Then remove, clean and reapply the amount you think it's correct, even though what you done already is fine.

hmm. I just worry, since the thermal paste I'm using has a 200 hour "break-in" time, that's why I'd prefer to have it correct. 

but it you think it's fine i'll leave it :P

38 minutes ago, FrostedPlate said:

Hey all!

My CM 212 Evo was getting really dirty recently so I decided to clean it and reapply the thermal paste.  (Artic Silver 5 TP by the way)

After everthing was finished I OC'd i7 4790k to 4.2 GHZ and ran cinebench. It hit a peak temp under max load of 73c.

Is this normal? I'm not certain if I may have applied the thermal paste correctly, as i've heard people getting 4.4 and even 4.6 with the same cooler and CPU.

don't worry your solid. Those are great temps for air cooling. You even have room to OC further by about 10c if you need it, but 4.2Ghz is a great OC especially since your getting low temps like that. 

2 hours ago, FrostedPlate said:

Hey all!

Is this normal? I'm not certain if I may have applied the thermal paste correctly, as i've heard people getting 4.4 and even 4.6 with the same cooler a4d CPU.

4.2 ghz ? isent that an underclock?

Your temps seem fine and you should be able to squeeze a bit higher oc. 

6 hours ago, Intel HD Graphics said:

4.4ghz is the turbo for a single core and 4.2ghz when stressing all cores. It's not much of an oc.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Your temps are what I would consider normal. The family your processor belongs to has a reputation for running warm. You could probably push it up to 4.5GHz as long as you don't go crazy with the voltage since that is where your heat is going to come from.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

6 hours ago, Intel HD Graphics said:

Nope, it's a very slight OC. Stock is 4 GHZ.

Just now, Intel HD Graphics said:

isent turbo already 4.4?

I think but mine barely boosts up to that even if my thermals are good..

25 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Your temps are what I would consider normal. The family your processor belongs to has a reputation for running warm. You could probably push it up to 4.5GHz as long as you don't go crazy with the voltage since that is where your heat is going to come from.

How would I go about doing that? Is it something automatic while changing the clock ratio or is it something I have to do manually?

11 minutes ago, FrostedPlate said:

How would I go about doing that? Is it something automatic while changing the clock ratio or is it something I have to do manually?

Set your core voltage manually. If left at auto, the voltage is usually higher than necessary and results in high temps.

Here's a good place to start:

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 minutes ago, FrostedPlate said:

Would you like me to walk you through it ?

59 minutes ago, Intel HD Graphics said:

Would you like me to walk you through it ?

Actually I kinda just figured it out, watched a video or two and tinkered for a good hour. Got it running 4.4 at 1.100V max 74C, going to try and push it a bit father if possible.

12 minutes ago, FrostedPlate said:

Actually I kinda just figured it out, watched a video or two and tinkered for a good hour. Got it running 4.4 at 1.100V max 74C, going to try and push it a bit father if possible.

temps seem a bit high for 1.1v What cooler are you using ?? did you say 212 evo?