Adaptive Mode Issues

After I found my stable Voltage for my 7700k 4.8ghz OC, I switched from Manual Mode to Adaptive Mode

Applied my stable voltage in the Turbo box which was 1.210 and the sign was "+"

After saving and restarting I loaded up HWMonitor and was seeing Voltages of 1.260, 1.280, and etc no where near what I had set

why is this? I also changed the LLC level 4 times and was experiencing the same issue does anyone know why?

the voltages do eventually drop for idle but when load comes it spikes the voltages all over the place

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

Hence Adaptive mode. It will adapt to what it thinks is needed, rather then having a manual (and even then it occasionally goes up and down) for voltages. Now i see its going quite a bit higher then normal adaptive, usually its only about a .03 to .05 swing, but it still seems like your in a safe voltage area below 1.3 so you should be fine

8 minutes ago, xovague said:

After I found my stable Voltage for my 7700k 4.8ghz OC, I switched from Manual Mode to Adaptive Mode

Applied my stable voltage in the Turbo box which was 1.210 and the sign was "+"

After saving and restarting I loaded up HWMonitor and was seeing Voltages of 1.260, 1.280, and etc no where near what I had set

why is this? I also changed the LLC level 4 times and was experiencing the same issue does anyone know why?

the voltages do eventually drop for idle but when load comes it spikes the voltages all over the place

What kind of load are you testing with, adaptive mode doesn't work well with stress test as they artificially push it past the define margin. Test such as cinebench don't tend to do that and will provide you more accurate results. 

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Hence Adaptive mode. It will adapt to what it thinks is needed, rather then having a manual (and even then it occasionally goes up and down) for voltages. Now i see its going quite a bit higher then normal adaptive, usually its only about a .03 to .05 swing, but it still seems like your in a safe voltage area below 1.3 so you should be fine

I wanna be able to get a max of atleast 1.216 or whatever and have it drop when not used but having it spike to 1.280 and stuff annoys me

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

Just now, W-L said:

What kind of load are you testing with, adaptive mode doesn't work well with stress test as they artificially push it past the define margin. Test such as cinebench don't tend to do that and will provide you more accurate results. 

not testing at all that was just the voltages from booting up windows

Just now, Shimejii said:

Just set it to 1.22 in manual mode and leave it at that. Should be fine and safe tbh as long as it was stable.

doesn't a constant voltage shorten the lifespan of the CPU?

Just now, xovague said:

doesn't a constant voltage shorten the lifespan of the CPU?

When its like 1.4-1.5 sure. Anything under 1.3 is not going to affect the lifespan of your cpu, you will have upgraded and moved on before you even noticed any degradation.  

Just now, Shimejii said:

When its like 1.4-1.5 sure. Anything under 1.3 is not going to affect the lifespan of your cpu, you will have upgraded and moved on before you even noticed any degradation.  

fair enough right now im debating on if it's even worth overclocking to 5.0ghz cause ill really only see a couple more fps in trade for more temp and I don't know if I wanna do that 

2 minutes ago, xovague said:

not testing at all that was just the voltages from booting up windows

Your probably going to need to vary your base and + offset voltage then so it evens itself out, also keep your LLC at around 5 where it tends to have decent stability but not have e voltage rise up extremely high. 

Just now, xovague said:

fair enough right now im debating on if it's even worth overclocking to 5.0ghz cause ill really only see a couple more fps in trade for more temp and I don't know if I wanna do that 

100% worth it if you can obtain it at a decent voltage. Some games will be more affected then others. If your going into the 1.35v+ territory and you dont have a decent AIO liquid cooler or non delidded then its not so worth. Stability is key.

Just now, W-L said:

Your probably going to need to vary your base and + offset voltage then so it evens itself out, also keep your LLC at around 5 where it tends to have decent stability but not have e voltage rise up extremely high. 

can you give me an example like something like this

+ Offset of 0.010

Turbo clock 1.200

total - 1.210?

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

100% worth it if you can obtain it at a decent voltage. Some games will be more affected then others. If your going into the 1.35v+ territory and you dont have a decent AIO liquid cooler or non delidded then its not so worth. Stability is key.

im running a kraken x62, and I managed to get a stable 4.8ghz OC of 1.210 so I might be able to get a stable 5.0ghz with lower voltage as well

Just now, xovague said:

im running a kraken x62, and I managed to get a stable 4.8ghz OC of 1.210 so I might be able to get a stable 5.0ghz with lower voltage as well

Cooler should be fine :) Make sure you do stress tests to make sure, just booting into windows isnt enough.

2 minutes ago, xovague said:

can you give me an example like something like this

+ Offset of 0.010

Turbo clock 1.200

total - 1.210?

My standard go to method is to start with the base or CPU core voltage and then add on to what you get for your offset and not touch the additional turbo. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

My standard go to method is to start with the base or CPU core voltage and then add on to what you get for your offset and not touch the additional turbo. 

So then I would be using a negative offset then?

Just now, xovague said:

So then I would be using a negative offset then?

No it will still be positive since your adding onto the base when the CPU encounter a load which it will take from the offset. 

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

No it will still be positive since your adding onto the base when the CPU encounter a load which it will take from the offset. 

So adaptive only really kicks in when under load but when outside load it will flux to weird voltages?

4 minutes ago, xovague said:

So adaptive only really kicks in when under load but when outside load it will flux to weird voltages?

I'm not sure what your referring to in terms of outside load but under normal workloads such as gaming or such it will not exceed the set limit. 

Just now, W-L said:

I'm not sure what your referring to in terms of outside load but under normal workloads such as gaming or such it will not exceed the set limit. 

like heavy loads like gaming and stuff that takes up or more than 70% of load

Just now, xovague said:

like heavy loads like gaming and stuff that takes up or more than 70% of load

It really shouldn't go over and if it does it should only be a little bit, the only reason it should go over if it your running an artificial stress test. 

2 hours ago, W-L said:

It really shouldn't go over and if it does it should only be a little bit, the only reason it should go over if it your running an artificial stress test. 

thats why im trying to figure out why mine is spiking when it just boots up windows and minor loads it spikes high

Just now, xovague said:

thats why im trying to figure out why mine is spiking when it just boots up windows and minor loads it spikes high

Hmm that's a little odd, can you get a screen shot of your setting and try running a cinebench stress test. 

On 8/13/2017 at 5:55 PM, W-L said:

Hmm that's a little odd, can you get a screen shot of your setting and try running a cinebench stress test. 

I set adaptive to 1.210 tried all levels of LLC and was still having unwanted Voltage spikes while running realbench

I would see 1.216V alot for the value in HWMonitor which is great but then at random I would get a 1.263, 1.280 spike

I even messed with the + and - offset values and still can get it to not spike so high idk what else to do

25 minutes ago, xovague said:

I set adaptive to 1.210 tried all levels of LLC and was still having unwanted Voltage spikes while running realbench

I would see 1.216V alot for the value in HWMonitor which is great but then at random I would get a 1.263, 1.280 spike

I even messed with the + and - offset values and still can get it to not spike so high idk what else to do

Don't use a stress test like realbench they will push the voltage above the set limit when using adaptive mode. You can't use any artificial stress test using adaptive, benmark software such as cinebench won't cause that to occur.