"Sleeper" Laptop?

1 minute ago, bruny06 said:

Ohhhh, sorry for not reading, I'll have a look at it now. As for the motherboard, those tend to be really expensive, I know this because when I was thinking about building my desktop PC, I wanted to reuse my i7 4700MQ, which is still not bad. If they didn't cost over 200$, it would be something I would consider as well. :P

Costs can be an issue.  I used eBay and it can be hit or miss, so some people are selling them for $200, other times someone sells SETS OF FOUR for $100 because they recycled dozens of them and they gotta go.  In my case I paid $86 USD including cost of shipping to Canada.

Keep in mind, this allowed me to recycle an i7 2630qm CPU, it's 2x8GB of memory, two 2.5" drives, wifi adaptor plus a CX600v2 PSU I had kicking around.  So the 'cost' of the iTX case and the used motherboard was largely offset. :)

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Costs can be an issue.  I used eBay and it can be hit or miss, so some people are selling them for $200, other times someone sells SETS OF FOUR for $100 because they recycled dozens of them and they gotta go.  In my case I paid $86 USD including cost of shipping to Canada.

Keep in mind, this allowed me to recycle an i7 2630qm CPU, it's 2x8GB of memory, two 2.5" drives, wifi adaptor plus a CX600v2 PSU I had kicking around.  So the 'cost' of the iTX case and the used motherboard was largely offset. :)

Yeah, these boards are definitely an issue for me, due to the price, however, I wouldn't be able to get much money for my laptop with an i7 4700MQ, 8GB of RAM, no HDD, a missing key and a little crack on the plastic housing by the right side of the keyboard and no Windows, by the way. So that could be an option for me, an ITX build. Also, I was having a look at your post, and it looks great, good project. It would be a shame to let such a nice laptop, even today, collecting dust. I'll finish reading your post now, I'm liking it so far. :P 

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

5 hours ago, bruny06 said:

Well, thanks, but those wouldn't fit. The GPU on my laptop looks like this.

that is a mxm gpu with a not-standard dimension

here more infos about mxm gpus and a list of mxm gpu resellers

MXM GPU Resellers in the world

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/mxm-gpu-resellers-in-the-world.804197/

Spoiler