Windows 7 or Windows 10 for Gaming?

GrahamCracker47

Windows 7 or Windows 10 (Gaming)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Windows 7 or Windows 10?

• Windows 7
    • Windows 10

57 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

If want full NVMe support Windows 8.1 is an option to consider. 

Yes, but the question is 7 or 10.

1 hour ago, TheCherryKing said:

DirectX 12 is not a selling point, UEFI doesn't provide any meaningful benefits, and Windows 7 works just fine on newer CPU's.

Those are only your opinions. They are features that the OP might consider valuable.

Some people say that GUIs is not a selling point, and command prompt is the only way one should intersect with a system.

57 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

I agree with that, as win7 and 8 have been good to me, although I don't like having "settings" and "control panel". I think they should have just left things where they were for the last 15ish years.

No one knew about the Control Panel beside computer enthusiasts. Also, while it started with a few options, it turned into a mess that Microsoft tried to reorganize a few times, and just failed. Settings panel. A 1 location for everything (an ongoing process, where every big version update of Windows it gets more and more complete), makes a lot more sense.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

No one knew about the Control Panel beside computer enthusiasts.

I'm calling bs on that. 

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

No one knew about the Control Panel beside computer enthusiasts. Also, while it started with a few options, it turned into a mess that Microsoft tried to reorganize a few times, and just failed. Settings panel. A 1 location for everything (an ongoing process, where every big version update of Windows it gets more and more complete), makes a lot more sense.

So, how long will it take them to transition? How will "settings" not be a mess with users still transitioning from 7's CP to 10's 2 way split and "eventually" setting?

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

AMD Ryzen CPU requires Windows 10, due to a bug in chip. Microsoft made a patch to maximize the performance of the chip under Windows 10 by working with the design flaw of the AMD latest series of CPUs.

Intel Kaby Lake and up, has advance power state which works with the OS. You need support version of Linux, or Windows 10 which contains the needed feature to maximize performance of your Intel CPU and power efficiency. Basically, in short, the OS communicates information to the CPU to be prepared for a work loads so that it clocks higher, faster, and down-clocks faster. In other words, Intel SpeedShift only works with Windows 10 (Redstone 1 and up to be specific): https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-to-optimize-windows-10-for-kaby-lake-and-zen

So even if it was working, you are not getting the full performance out of your CPU.

That's propaganda from Microsoft. Benchmarks were performed for AMD Eypc with Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016. The results were nearly identical. 

1 hour ago, TheGleaner said:

I'm calling bs on that. 

Oh yea? Ok, ask your parents assuming they are not in the computer field to change when the system goes to sleep, without showing them or giving them any tips.

So, how long will it take them to transition? How will "settings" not be a mess with users still transitioning from 7's CP to 10's 2 way split and "eventually" setting?

Currently, more than most commonly used settings are on the Settings panel. I dont recall what is on the Creators Update, but so far, on the Fall Creator Updates, you can:

• Change color profile of the monitor
  • Change the display scaling (DPI) as well as define a custom DPI setting.
  • Change the Power and Sleep option
  • Change pen options
  • Enable/Disable Remote Desktop (Windows 10 Pro and up)
  • Get overview of the system information
  • Set Auto Play options
  • Change file association
  • Setup and Manage Accounts and login settings
  • Configure Time & language
  • Configure the Taskbar
  • Accessibility options
  • Uninstall Programs (both UWP and Win32)
  • Add/Remove Bluetooth and connected devices
  • Add/Remove Scanner and Printers
  • and more..

It has everything that most people need. I mean dial-up internet is not there... so sorry if you still have a 56K modem that somehow still works. I guess this won't be there any time soon. I'll give you that.

6 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

That's propaganda from Microsoft. Benchmarks were performed for AMD Eypc with Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016. The results were nearly identical. 

Yes. AMD themselves made that shit up after gaming reviews where shit on their CPU. All to promote Windows 10... makes perfect sense to me.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes. AMD themselves made that shit up after gaming reviews where shit on their CPU. All to promote Windows 10... makes perfect sense to me.

I can't tell if you are being serious are sarcastic. 

23 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh yea? Ok, ask your parents assuming they are not in the computer field to change when the system goes to sleep, without showing them or giving them any tips.

Currently, more than most commonly used settings are on the Settings panel. I dont recall what is on the Creators Update, but so far, on the Fall Creator Updates, you can:

• Change color profile of the monitor
  • Change the display scaling (DPI) as well as define a custom DPI setting.
  • Change the Power and Sleep option
  • Change pen options
  • Enable/Disable Remote Desktop (Windows 10 Pro and up)
  • Get overview of the system information
  • Set Auto Play options
  • Change file association
  • Setup and Manage Accounts and login settings
  • Configure Time & language
  • Configure the Taskbar
  • Accessibility options
  • Uninstall Programs (both UWP and Win32)
  • Add/Remove Bluetooth and connected devices
  • and more..

So why wouldn't settings get "forgotten"?

On xp, It tells you right in the "tutorial" where to go

On 7, its right on start

A simple Google search will tell you: control panel

Kinda hard to ask parents when half the family works for Microsoft

Common? The only one I would consider common is uninstall programs

So the 1.5 Billion people(MS's claim) who use windows, very few of them know how to change any preference or setting?

edit: How do I get stuck in this and why is this(discussion) here when they were asking about gaming performance?

18 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Not true. Gaming performance is hit / miss between Windows 7 and 10. There is as much stuff that is slower in Windows 10 as there is that is slower in Windows 7.

Sounds like it could use a fresh installation. The Windows 7 boot up time is pretty quick when there aren't issues with it, or when it isn't bloated with other programs starting up.

mind giving me a recent (aka not "right after launch day") article on this? i'd actoally be interested in seeing the current state on things.

and said windows laptop *is* a fresh install. i clean installed it after college, then pretty much never used it again. all i do on it is regular maintenances.