Processor for 1080p 144 Hz Gaming (Futureproof)

R7 1700 vs i7 7800x vs i7 7700k  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose if you were me?

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700
    • Intel Core i7 7800x
    • Intel Core i7 7700k

Hey LTT Community,

I need your help to decide for a new platform, budget is around 600-800€ (pretty much the same in $).

Why? Cause my i5 4690k is bottlenecking my GTX 1070 in several games like Battlefield 1 for example.

Also even in League of Legends I sometimes notice micro stutter. 

What I own currently:

BenQ ZOWIE XL2411 1080p / 144Hz Monitor

Fractal Design Define r5 (2x 140mm front in, 1x 120mm back in, Silent Loop 240 top out)

AsRock Z87M Extreme4

i5 4690k @4.2 GHz / 1.21V

be quiet! Silent Loop 240mm AIO

GTX 1070 Gaming X

be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550W 80+ Platinum

Some Thoughts of me about the 3 Processors:

Spoiler

So I watched almost every Video on YouTube about Ryzen and especially the r7 series and today searched for "r7 1700 League of Legends" just for interest. I was kinda disappointed that the Ryzen has lower fps there than my i5.

Of course it's still over 100fps, but the problem is, that when the stutter occurs for me its also barely above 100fps, and that micro stutter is what I want to avoid.

Then I searched for "i7 7700k League of Legends" and found multiple Videos showing 200 fps+

Problem there is, that I think that in like 2 years the 4 Cores / 8 Threads are not going to cut it anymore.

So I thought that the i7 7800x should be great then, 2 more cores and just slightly lower clockspeed, but then the i7 7800x is a good bit slower in almost every game then the i7 7700k because of the unusual way the cache is set up...

Otherwise (outside of League) I see Ryzen offering great performance, better then my current i5, but the both i7's offer even more performance right now. But the Ryzen probably ages the best because of it's massive 16 Threads. Then I also think that the i7 7800x probably isn't that bad either with its 12 Threads..

This is one of the Videos that I found to compare the r7 1700 to the i7 7800x: 

Based on that the i7 7800x would be the better choise as I game much more then do rendering, video editing and such. (Price: r7 - 300€ / i7 - 370€)

Sadly I wasn't able to find a single quote in a forum or a Video about how the i7 7800x with it's cache design performs in League of Legends.

We know that the i7 7700k is a good bit faster than these two, but less "futureproof".

Something I forgot:
I would be overclocking the processor as I did so with every processor that I owned to date.

My questions to you:

What would you choose? (Poll or advise as a response)

Someone tested League on Ryzen or i7 7800x, is it stutter free? (cause I read that the Ryzen tends to drop FPS quite hard in big fights, cause LoL only uses 2 Cores)

Is a 240mm Rad enough to cool these 3 Processors individually? Im a bit worried about the Intels getting too hot overclocked because of the bad TIM...

Thanks for your help :)

I7 4790K though... Much better option then any of the ones you put forth

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Didn't use the poll because the best option(s) isn't on there

R5 1600

or 8700K

EDIT: But if I have anything to say about those choices its that for gaming the 7800X is a joke. It ties/sometimes loses against a 1600 whilst costing much more and requiring an expensive motherboard.

4690k and 1070 user here. I'm going to hold off for around a year and save some money to go big on anything new that comes out. I feel your struggle, but I think upgrading now could come with regret...

There's no futureproof CPU for your usage right now so just grab a 7700K.

The 1700 is also a strong choice.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Don't get the i7 7700K now, the 8th generation will be introduced on 21 August. Wait at least until then if you want to buy the i7. And don't buy X299.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

i7 4770k or newer.

Ryzen can do it in some games but Intel i7 is better for crunching high FPS numbers.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I7 4790K though... Much better option then any of the ones you put forth

Would be a option too, but its quite expensive used in germany (290€ last time I checked), still cheaper then a whole new platform after all :)

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Didn't use the poll because the best option(s) isn't on there

R5 1600

or 8700K

r5 1600 would be a good option and I just (like a minute ago) read that the i7 8700k will get presented on 21th of August :D

1 minute ago, DiscoDuck101 said:

4690k and 1070 user here. I'm going to hold off for around a year and save some money to go big on anything new that comes out. I feel your struggle, but I think upgrading now could come with regret...

You are probably right. I will wait till the 8700k hits the market (Could already be september if the german newssite is right) :)

1 minute ago, DanielHD said:

Would be a option too, but its quite expensive used in germany (290€ last time I checked), still cheaper then a whole new platform after all :)

r5 1600 would be a good option and I just (like a minute ago) read that the i7 8700k will get presented on 21th of August :D

You are probably right. I will wait till the 8700k hits the market (Could already be september if the german newssite is right) :)

Maybe get one off ebay then? They go for under €250 in Sweden

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, DanielHD said:

I know exactly what you mean about BF1, I have the same problems with frame drops and stuttering. But it's not unplayable. I vote for just being patient, and if 8th gen is coming out on the 21st, then I believe it's worth it.

If you can wait for 8700k, but if you want to switch now then i think the 1700 will be more futureproof(lolwut).

I will wait for the 8700k, especially since I planned to buy it in 1-2 months when I get my money anyways :)

ryzen for use with ddr4, its a great performer on a budget and you get DDR4 which helps.

My laptop uses the i7 7700hq though and i dont get any stutterings or frame drops on BF1. I also use dual channel DDR4. However i would prefer the ryzen 6 or 8 core.

The i7 4790k is still expensive in europe, the prices havent dropped yet for haswell as europe moves through technology at a slower pace (because people have a habit of holding on to things longer waiting for prices to drop they dont drop). I managed to score a used i7 4790k for less than £200 from amazon though a month ago so theres still hope of getting one for less but it requires some searching.

My suggestion though is to go with ryzen 7. Intel is coming out with 6 core in the future so it'd be a contender for the 6 core ryzen. Despite some claiming intel to be 10-15% faster in IPC thats not the case with ryzen as they've put gains in performance in some areas that intel doesnt. The whole concept for the ryzen architecture is balance meaning it does decently in everything the x86 architecture has whereas intel's architecture is faster in some areas, slower in others and about the same in some things. Infact ryzen manages to beat skylake in IPC for CPU rendering loads. We shouldnt be so concerned with clocks unless you game with openGL as directx11, 12 and vulkan dont rely much on CPU clocks.

Moving from DDR3 ivybridge to DDR4 kabylake reduces the bottleneck for a titan xp so DDR4 seems to help with the main reason being how game engines handle their graphics by still using the CPU for a bunch of graphics tasks not to mention PCIE slot bandwidth being a significant portion of memory bandwidth too. I used to game on ivybridge before and would see GPU usage not maxed out, same with CPU.