Need help getting a recording setup for my school

My school is letting us start a video class, but we don't really know what we are doing lol. Just looking for some suggestions. We need just about everything (Camera/Camcorder, Bag, SD Cards, Tripod, Mics, editing software, lighting, anything else we might need that we wouldn't know about). We will be using it to make short movies, advertisements for the school, a weekly school update, and anything else we feel like making. Below I will show the list that I showed to my superintendent today as a start for what we will need. He wants to make sure that it will be used for this class later down the line. The only thing i could think of was getting a camera with detachable lens to change that out in the future. Please suggest away!!!!!!!!!

Canon - XA30 HD Flash Memory Camcorder - Black
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-xa30-hd-flash-memory-camcorder-black/4882200.p?skuId=4882200 $1,599.99 Was $1,799.99

Digipower - Lithium-Ion Replacement Battery for Canon XA10 - Black $69.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digipower-lithium-ion-replacement-battery-for-canon-xa10-black/5809129.p?skuId=5809129

Canon - Camera Bag - Black $59.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-camera-bag-black/6813362.p?skuId=6813362

SanDisk - Extreme PLUS 64GB SDXC UHS-I Memory Card - Black/Gold $44.99 x3
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-plus-64gb-sdxc-uhs-i-memory-card-black-gold/4807118.p?skuId=4807118

Manfrotto MVKBFR-LIVEUS lightweight, travel friendly Be Free Fluid Video Kit, Black $237.58

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MVKBFR-LIVEUS-lightweight-travel-friendly/dp/B01MCU1IDZ/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501609907&sr=1-21&keywords=manfrotto

Update:

Ideal price between $3,000-$7,000

9 minutes ago, crazytechkid said:

for editing use davinci resolve free version it is amazing i use it for my video 

I used to use davinci resolve free but ran into isues where it didn't like the way my camera encoded the video and didn't support all the export options, some would result in a failed render. 

for cameras pick up some cannon t5i/t6i and get some lave and shotgun mikes. but if you are only getting 1-2 grab a gh4

get some nicer lenses like 55-250mm 

the bag is fine

only get 1-2 of those tripods but get some of these https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748512-REG/Polaroid_PLTRI72_PLTRI72_72_Tripod_W_3_Way.html

for sd cards https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231605&cm_re=sdxc-_-20-231-605-_-Product

editing the adobe set is good just make sure you got good workstations. 

some advice on lighting 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

so you dont know what you need? wow okay that seems abit non prepared but heres the best tripod I've used in my schools video class.

Manfrotto MVK500AM Lightweight Fluid Video System with Twin Legs and Middle Spreader $344

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MVK500AM-Lightweight-System-Spreader/dp/B00CL9CHNQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1501642861&sr=8-5&keywords=manfrotto+video+tripod

For editing I love Adobe creative cloud but I know sometimes schools have issues getting it so if you cant get Adobe CC I'd go for Finalcut X

You will need decent rigs to edit on most schools have crap computers like my school has some 2012 PCs but the video studio runs on some of the most recent 27 inch iMacs. try for PC before you go to mac though because you have better hardware options.

i render youtube 1080p but if that doesnt work i render 1080p 60 fps mp3 video

14 minutes ago, ryguy.j.wilcox@gmail.com said:

My school is letting us start a video class, but we don't really know what we are doing lol. Just looking for some suggestions. We need just about everything (Camera/Camcorder, Bag, SD Cards, Tripod, Mics, editing software, lighting, anything else we might need that we wouldn't know about). We will be using it to make short movies, advertisements for the school, a weekly school update, and anything else we feel like making. Below I will show the list that I showed to my superintendent today as a start for what we will need. He wants to make sure that it will be used for this class later down the line. The only thing i could think of was getting a camera with detachable lens to change that out in the future. Please suggest away!!!!!!!!!

Canon - XA30 HD Flash Memory Camcorder - Black
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-xa30-hd-flash-memory-camcorder-black/4882200.p?skuId=4882200 $1,599.99 Was $1,799.99

Digipower - Lithium-Ion Replacement Battery for Canon XA10 - Black $69.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digipower-lithium-ion-replacement-battery-for-canon-xa10-black/5809129.p?skuId=5809129

Canon - Camera Bag - Black $59.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-camera-bag-black/6813362.p?skuId=6813362

SanDisk - Extreme PLUS 64GB SDXC UHS-I Memory Card - Black/Gold $44.99 x3
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-plus-64gb-sdxc-uhs-i-memory-card-black-gold/4807118.p?skuId=4807118

Manfrotto MVKBFR-LIVEUS lightweight, travel friendly Be Free Fluid Video Kit, Black $237.58

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MVKBFR-LIVEUS-lightweight-travel-friendly/dp/B01MCU1IDZ/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501609907&sr=1-21&keywords=manfrotto

I would recomend Sony movie studio veges I have had a very low amount of bugs compaired with adobe premere and is pretty cheap and simple to use.

4 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

for cameras pick up some cannon t5i/t6i and get some lave and shotgun mikes. but if you are only getting 1-2 grab a gh4

get some nicer lenses like 55-250mm 

the bag is fine

only get 1-2 of those tripods but get some of these https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748512-REG/Polaroid_PLTRI72_PLTRI72_72_Tripod_W_3_Way.html

for sd cards https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231605&cm_re=sdxc-_-20-231-605-_-Product

editing the adobe set is good just make sure you got good workstations. 

some advice on lighting 

We are probably only getting one camera this year. I also forgot to mention that we are looking for a camera with an xlr input. Also are those cameras able to record long periods of times like an hour or more for like a chapel.

1 minute ago, ryguy.j.wilcox@gmail.com said:

We are probably only getting one camera this year. I also forgot to mention that we are looking for a camera with an xlr input. Also are those cameras able to record long periods of times like an hour or more for like a chapel.

Also when you start to get into the more professional and the class grows you might want a camera with an SDI output not just BNC out youd want SDI out

1 minute ago, ryguy.j.wilcox@gmail.com said:

the cannon t5i and t6i are limited to 30 chunks 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

16 hours ago, ryguy.j.wilcox@gmail.com said:

Ideal price between $3,000-$7,000

Ignore every comment posted above.

1. Video editing software.  If the school can afford it, get the Adobe CC suite.  Or buy a license of DaVinci Resolve Studio, BlackMagic has dropped the price from $1000 to $300 for Resolve 14.  However Resolve is NOT a motion graphics and compositing editing tool (think of software like After Effects), that's the job of BlackMagicDesign Fusion.

2. For the camera, if you want integrated XLR inputs, which I believe is a very very very good idea then at various budget levels you have different options of cameras from BlackMagicDesign like the Ursa/Ursa Mini.  However, some of them can be a bit buggy at times.  You can also get professional camcorders like the Sony PXW-X70 type of cameras with non interchangeable lenses.  Forget about the GH4 or any Sony mirrorless cameras.  Another option would be the Canon C100.

3. Accessories such as memory cards, batteries.  Buy as many as necessary.

4. Tripod and camera support: While something like a Manfrotto 500 series fluid head for video and tripod kits are budget friendly and do not cost an arm and a leg, depending on the type of camera you use, they are NOT ideal.  A fluid head like the 502HD from Manfrotto is good enough for DSLR video use, but if you have a camera like an Ursa Mini or Canon C### series, buy a better system.  I recommend something like Sachtler but they can be very expensive.  Secced ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1248635-REG/cinegears_3_028_secced_reach_plus_2.html ) like this for example is way better than Manfrotto.  But again, wait till you've decided on a camera system before choosing a tripod.  The tripod system you buy has to be able to support the weight of the camera system and all attached accessories.

5. Lighting, again not so easy to recommend.  I've used various sorts of lights and lighting kits that range from $50 to over $10,000 setups.  Cheap is not always useful.  And you should buy at least one on-camera light (if you only have one camera) and at least 4 stand mounted lights.  If you do chroma keying, then you should get more (as many as necessary to light the scene and chroma backdrop evenly).  There are bi-color (meaning you can usually change the color temp from 3000K to 6000K) led panels you can buy, they usually cost between $500-1000 each.  Or get monocolor daylight panels, they will usually be cheaper.

Where are you located, in the US?  If so, contact a local pro audio/video supplier or contact a big supplier like B&H and ask them for advice on which systems/kits to buy.  If you're in the UK or Europe in general, contact places like CVP.com.

And again I repeat, IGNORE all the comments above.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

15 hours ago, Elijahbiker said:

Also when you start to get into the more professional and the class grows you might want a camera with an SDI output not just BNC out youd want SDI out

BNC = connector type

SDI = signal transport format

Cameras that have SDI ports use cables with BNC connectors.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I'd listen to Akira as he does these things proffesionally. But the kit you had there looked kinda lacking. Like why drop 60USD on a camerabag. You might not even need it if you only got one camera. In my opinion I'd look at a camera with a interchangable lens system. The reason for this that it gives you a lot more creative freedom in the use of focal lengths and low aparture lenses. However thats only the case if you would be willing to invest in lenses. Maybe even get some cine primes from say Samyang that are well made and not too damn expensive like the Leica, Zeiss or Canon cineprimes. 

It's hard to reccomend things when the usecase is not clearly specified. However personally I would find it a lot more fun if you can play around with different lenses. For video software I would try to get the Adobe CC subscription. They have a school variant I think. Eitherway, that would give you tools for everything you would need. Normal editing (Premiere), compositing (After Effects) and audio (Audition) stuff as well as the ability to create graphics in Photoshop or Illustrator. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

5 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

BNC = connector type

SDI = signal transport format

Cameras that have SDI ports use cables with BNC connectors.

yes, I know that but there are some cameras that have a BNC connection but dont use SDI as the format and when you get into switchers such as the ones from blackmagic you need an SDI format

8 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Ignore every comment posted above.

1. Video editing software.  If the school can afford it, get the Adobe CC suite.  Or buy a license of DaVinci Resolve Studio, BlackMagic has dropped the price from $1000 to $300 for Resolve 14.  However Resolve is NOT a motion graphics and compositing editing tool (think of software like After Effects), that's the job of BlackMagicDesign Fusion.

2. For the camera, if you want integrated XLR inputs, which I believe is a very very very good idea then at various budget levels you have different options of cameras from BlackMagicDesign like the Ursa/Ursa Mini.  However, some of them can be a bit buggy at times.  You can also get professional camcorders like the Sony PXW-X70 type of cameras with non interchangeable lenses.  Forget about the GH4 or any Sony mirrorless cameras.  Another option would be the Canon C100.

3. Accessories such as memory cards, batteries.  Buy as many as necessary.

4. Tripod and camera support: While something like a Manfrotto 500 series fluid head for video and tripod kits are budget friendly and do not cost an arm and a leg, depending on the type of camera you use, they are NOT ideal.  A fluid head like the 502HD from Manfrotto is good enough for DSLR video use, but if you have a camera like an Ursa Mini or Canon C### series, buy a better system.  I recommend something like Sachtler but they can be very expensive.  Secced ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1248635-REG/cinegears_3_028_secced_reach_plus_2.html ) like this for example is way better than Manfrotto.  But again, wait till you've decided on a camera system before choosing a tripod.  The tripod system you buy has to be able to support the weight of the camera system and all attached accessories.

5. Lighting, again not so easy to recommend.  I've used various sorts of lights and lighting kits that range from $50 to over $10,000 setups.  Cheap is not always useful.  And you should buy at least one on-camera light (if you only have one camera) and at least 4 stand mounted lights.  If you do chroma keying, then you should get more (as many as necessary to light the scene and chroma backdrop evenly).  There are bi-color (meaning you can usually change the color temp from 3000K to 6000K) led panels you can buy, they usually cost between $500-1000 each.  Or get monocolor daylight panels, they will usually be cheaper.

Where are you located, in the US?  If so, contact a local pro audio/video supplier or contact a big supplier like B&H and ask them for advice on which systems/kits to buy.  If you're in the UK or Europe in general, contact places like CVP.com.

And again I repeat, IGNORE all the comments above.

Thank you soooooooo much this exactly what I was hoping for when I posted this. 

4 hours ago, ryguy.j.wilcox@gmail.com said:

Thank you soooooooo much this exactly what I was hoping for when I posted this. 

My first recommendation, before getting accessories and support systems: figure out which camera system you want to use.  If you're not sure, ask the suppliers or ask me and we can explore different options.  Just a tip: camera systems with interchangeable lenses are NOT always necessary.  Yes they provide options but then you would have to also invest in good lenses.  For example, if you buy say a Canon C100 and then buy the DSLR kit lens like an 18-55 you're not gaining any advantage of using a camera system that can switch out lenses.