144Hz with an MX Master - will I notice the difference?

Chaos_Sorcerer
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
Just now, Vegetable said:

Im not even sure what the question is here. Your mouse has NOTHING to do with your monitor's refresh rate whatsoever. 

He's asking if due to the higher refresh rate, will he be able to notice additional input lag from the mouse.

Personally I haven't heard of any latency tests done on the MX master, and it's not a gaming mouse so it probably doesn't have the fastest input lag, but I think it will be fine to game at 144Hz with it. He can always try blind testing with a wired mouse, but I doubt he will notice any difference.

34 minutes ago, Enderman said:

144 is probably near the limit of what can be easily manufactured.

It's fairly rare to get a display panel that can do like 165 or 180 or 200+, but I guess it was fairly easy to just increase the refresh rate of 120 panels to 144.

Since 144 started taking over, manufacturers went with that over 120, because 144 is a bigger number than 120 :) better for sales, especially if almost all panels could get 144.

So are displays like silicon? Depending on your luck, you get a display than can clock higher?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Just now, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

So are displays like silicon? Depending on your luck, you get a display than can clock higher?

Sort of, yeah.

Like with most electronics you get parts that are good and parts that are bad, and everything in between.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

That's true, I guess. If that were the case then all the people that just shitpost in General Discussion (like me) would be mods, which the team probably doesn't want. 

Oh yeah, I have another question about 144Hz...why 144Hz? What happened to 120Hz displays?

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

144 is probably near the limit of what can be easily manufactured.

It's fairly rare to get a display panel that can do like 165 or 180 or 200+, but I guess it was fairly easy to just increase the refresh rate of 120 panels to 144.

Since 144 started taking over, manufacturers went with that over 120, because 144 is a bigger number than 120 :) better for sales, especially if almost all panels could get 144.

144hz finds its basis in being 6 times the 24fps we see in films. It was created for 3D use; the frame for each eye is repeated 3 times in a left-right-left-right-left-right configuration. This reduces perceivable flicker while not requiring any "new" frames to be interpolated.

120hz is just a multiple of the 30fps standard for non-cinematic video.

25 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

144hz finds its basis in being 6 times the 24fps we see in films. It was created for 3D use; the frame for each eye is repeated 3 times in a left-right-left-right-left-right configuration. This reduces perceivable flicker while not requiring any "new" frames to be interpolated.

120hz is just a multiple of the 30fps standard for non-cinematic video.

5*24 also =120

Also no flicker or interpolation.

Nobody cares about 3d these days anyway.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You're right that 120 is a multiple of 24, but it was not created as such. There are no projection conventions for showing a traditional film at 120 fps, so it remains as just a high refresh rate.

You're very right about 3D being a fad, I think it'll be VR or something more holographic that takes off next.

I just pointed out the origin of 144hz since I think you mentioned something about it being close to a manufacturing limit.

It's not, it's just a projection convention.

On 7/13/2017 at 4:05 PM, Enderman said:

You don't get mod from having high post count :P

Also, I wouldn't want to be a mod, it would take a way all the fun.

It's a big responsibility, more like a job.

I disagree, it's been fun and not as much pressure as even I thought it would have been :P

But let's not derail this wonderful thread.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

• 9 months later...

Just to give a definitive answer to this. To answer your question: yes, you can notice the latency of the MX Master at 144hz or even 60hz.

I have a 120hz monitor and an MX Master, MX Master S2, and a G900. You can definitely feel the latency of the both the MX Master and MX Master S2 mouse. I can't even use it any more after switching to the G900. You can even feel it on 60hz, but it's more noticeable at higher refresh rates. Beyond the latency, the polling rate is only 125hz, so movement doesn't feel very smooth compared to 500 or 1000hz. Don't get me wrong, I love the MX Master. But after using a low latency high polling rate mouse, I can't go back, even if I love the gestures and scroll wheels.