144Hz with an MX Master - will I notice the difference?

Chaos_Sorcerer
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
Just now, Vegetable said:

Im not even sure what the question is here. Your mouse has NOTHING to do with your monitor's refresh rate whatsoever. 

He's asking if due to the higher refresh rate, will he be able to notice additional input lag from the mouse.

Personally I haven't heard of any latency tests done on the MX master, and it's not a gaming mouse so it probably doesn't have the fastest input lag, but I think it will be fine to game at 144Hz with it. He can always try blind testing with a wired mouse, but I doubt he will notice any difference.

Okay, so I upgraded from my cheap 25" Ultrawide to my B326HUL 32" 1440p display recently. I found a really good price for it - only $200 for one that was brand-new, in the box. I mainly got it because a) I was looking for a display upgrade and b) it was insanely cheap. I had considered picking up a 144Hz panel, but at the time I wasn't able to find a decent deal on one and thought the 32" monitor would be better.

But now I'm having second thoughts. I've found some pretty decent deals for 144Hz monitors...and I know I can probably sell my B326HUL for more money than I bought it for. My question is, with an MX Master as my mouse, will I be able to tell the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz? It's definitely not the best-performing mouse in the world, but I mainly got it for productivity and ergonomics.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Im not even sure what the question is here. Your mouse has NOTHING to do with your monitor's refresh rate whatsoever. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

But I'm wondering if the low polling rate and the high latency of the mouse will prevent me from noticing the difference. If, say, I move my mouse in a game, but my mouse isn't able to respond as fast as say, a wired gaming mouse, would my gameplay feel more responsive on a 60Hz panel vs a 144Hz panel? 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

He's asking if due to the higher refresh rate, will he be able to notice additional input lag from the mouse.

Personally I haven't heard of any latency tests done on the MX master, and it's not a gaming mouse so it probably doesn't have the fastest input lag, but I think it will be fine to game at 144Hz with it. He can always try blind testing with a wired mouse, but I doubt he will notice any difference.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

But I'm wondering if the low polling rate and the high latency of the mouse will prevent me from noticing the difference. If, say, I move my mouse in a game, but my mouse isn't able to respond as fast as say, a wired gaming mouse, would my gameplay feel more responsive on a 60Hz panel vs a 144Hz panel? 

Its a visual thing, not ANYTHING to do with a mouse. All I'm gunna say is this: If you're getting 144 fps on a 144hz monitor, it WILL be smoother and more responsive than a 60hz panel at 60fps. Mouse has NOTHING to do with it. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

So, what's better, a 144Hz display and a crappy mouse or a 60Hz display and a top-of-the-line gaming mouse?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

So, what's better, a 144Hz display and a crappy mouse or a 60Hz display and a top-of-the-line gaming mouse?

144Hz display. Though an MX Master isn't crappy at all. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

144Hz display. Though an MX Master isn't crappy at all. 

I haven't actually seen any benchmarks of it, but I figured its performance wouldn't be the best due to its productivity-oriented nature and long battery life.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Considering a 144Hz display now. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Don't you dare call the MX master a crappy mouse. And anyway I would take the 144hz anyways. I think what veggie is trying to say is that input lag won't be any more noticeable on a 144hz display and I agree with him/her/it.

6 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

That's like asking what's better: a fine house with a shitty car, or a deluxe car with a small dapartment.

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

Don't you dare call the MX master a crappy mouse. And anyway I would take the 144hz anyways. I think what veggie is trying to say is that input lag won't be any more noticeable on a 144hz display and I agree with him/her/it.

So, my gaming experience would be better on the 144Hz display, even though my mouse isn't the greatest (I can say what I want about a product I use every day:P)? Well, that's good news for me. Thanks!

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

I say the 144Hz display.

But you can get real good gaming mice for cheap. Like my favourite pick the EVGA Torq X5 (has a great pixart sensor)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

MX master is awesome, not a crappy mouse at all.

Just not "gamery" (which I like)

144Hz+ mx  master will definitely be way better than 60Hz.

It's just a heavier mouse so you need to get sued to that for fast  fps games.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

So, my gaming experience would be better on the 144Hz display, even though my mouse isn't the greatest (I can say what I want about a product I use every day:P)? Well, that's good news for me. Thanks!

Yeah. You'll get all of the benefits of the 144hz but the input lag of the MX master shouldn't be amplified at all.

9 minutes ago, donaldtrump said:

Also what games are you playing and what's your gpu

Check my sig and I mainly play Overwatch. Plat scrub tho. I don't play all that much - I've just heard that 144Hz improves your overall PC-using experience, and I would like the see that light. 

I mainly bought my 32" display and my mouse for productivity. But I realize now that having 1 giant 16:9 isn't even that great. If I do get a 24" 144Hz display, I have an old 4:3 panel with the exact same vertical height that I can throw next to. With a 144hz 24-incher and a 19-incher next to it, I figure I can get the best of both worlds: one nice main display and a side display I can use for reading Reddit while I do school work and stuff (yeah like that's totally not gonna distract me lol).

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I say the 144Hz display.

But you can get real good gaming mice for cheap. Like my favourite pick the EVGA Torq X5 (has a great pixart sensor)

The MX Master was a gift that holds a sentimental value to me. Don't ever really wanna replace it. Thanks for the info, though.

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

MX master is awesome, not a crappy mouse at all.

Just not "gamery" (which I like)

144Hz+ mx  master will definitely be way better than 60Hz.

It's just a heavier mouse so you need to get sued to that for fast  fps games.

How much worse is it, though, versus, say, a G502? (in terms of latency and all that)

Also, which would you recommend more for productivity? The giant 1440p panel I have now, or a 144Hz 24" next to a 4:3? I game maybe 10 hours a week at the most, so productivity would be my big focus. 

Then again, if I see 144Hz, I won't be able to use anyone else's computer ever again...which I might not want to do...

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

How much worse is it, though, versus, say, a G502? (in terms of latency and all that)

Also, which would you recommend more for productivity? The giant 1440p panel I have now, or a 144Hz 24" next to a 4:3? I game maybe 10 hours a week at the most, so productivity would be my big focus. 

No idea, probably only a few ms difference if I were to guess.

Nothing you can notice.

I would recommend a larger higher resolution panel, gaming at 60fps is fine unless you're trying to go competitive.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No idea, probably only a few ms difference if I were to guess.

Nothing you can notice.

I would recommend a larger higher resolution panel, gaming at 60fps is fine unless you're trying to go competitive.

Yeah, it's definitely fine for most cases - I've just heard that it improves your overall PC-using experience. I know Austin Evans used to use a Performance MX before he switched to an M95...so I figured it would be a similar story with an MX Master.

Also, kind of a random question...does your name come from MineCraft?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Yeah, it's definitely fine for most cases - I've just heard that it improves your overall PC-using experience. I know Austin Evans used to use a Performance MX before he switched to an M95...so I figured it would be a similar story with an MX Master.

Also, kind of a random question...does your name come from MineCraft?

I went from M95 to MX master and didn't notice any input lag increase.

And yes, it's from minecraft :) my favourite mob

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I went from M95 to MX master and didn't notice any input lag increase.

And yes, it's from minecraft :) my favourite mob

I just realized you have 40 000 posts...no mod promotion yet?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

I just realized you have 40 000 posts...no mod promotion yet?

You don't get mod from having high post count :P

Also, I wouldn't want to be a mod, it would take a way all the fun.

It's a big responsibility, more like a job.

Spoiler

I use the same mouse. I have never noticed any type of input lag with it, but my display doesn't go past 60hz. 

That being said, I think it would depend on what kinds of games you were playing. RPGs, action, strategy? Probably no issue. CS:GO/Overwatch, or something by Platinum? Most likely.

You've got good taste though :)

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You don't get mod from having high post count :P

Also, I wouldn't want to be a mod, it would take a way all the fun.

It's a big responsibility, more like a job.

That's true, I guess. If that were the case then all the people that just shitpost in General Discussion (like me) would be mods, which the team probably doesn't want. 

Oh yeah, I have another question about 144Hz...why 144Hz? What happened to 120Hz displays?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, kingfurykiller said:

I use the same mouse. I have never noticed any type of input lag with it, but my display doesn't go past 60hz. 

That being said, I think it would depend on what kinds of games you were playing. RPGs, action, strategy? Probably no issue. CS:GO/Overwatch, or something by Platinum? Most likely.

You've got good taste though :)

Overwatch, but I'm a plat scrub. Mainly looking to improve my overall PC-using experience. It's not like a 60Hz panel would hold back ShadowBurn from being a pro gengu. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

That's true, I guess. If that were the case then all the people that just shitpost in General Discussion (like me) would be mods, which the team probably doesn't want. 

Oh yeah, I have another question about 144Hz...why 144Hz? What happened to 120Hz displays?

144 is probably near the limit of what can be easily manufactured.

It's fairly rare to get a display panel that can do like 165 or 180 or 200+, but I guess it was fairly easy to just increase the refresh rate of 120 panels to 144.

Since 144 started taking over, manufacturers went with that over 120, because 144 is a bigger number than 120 :) better for sales, especially if almost all panels could get 144.

Spoiler