Microsoft Edge: WAY Better Battery Life! - $h!t Manufacturers Say Ep4

Buy Dell Inspiron Laptops on Amazon: http://geni.us/0Src

Microsoft claims its Edge browser wrecks the competition at battery life...But is it true? We intend to find out! Reboot!

wait wasn't that yesterday's upload?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

48 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

wait wasn't that yesterday's upload?

Yes it is. They are a bit late it seems.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

This is an amazing episode, thank you. If I knew more english, I'd use better words, I don't know what to say.

43 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Yes it is. They are a bit late it seems.

now to get the videos on the right to show the current Youtube release instead of just the WAN Show like it's been showing for 3 days now.

Meanwhile, YouTube comments are either agreeing to what Linus did (I do too) and some calls his testing methodology "rigged". 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Meanwhile, YouTube comments are either agreeing to what Linus did (I do too) and some calls his testing methodology "rigged". 

What was the testing methodology? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

28 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

What was the testing methodology? 

Have you watched the video? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Have you watched the video? 

no

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

no

I would encourage watching the video as Linus explains how he setup the tests to provide as even of a proving ground as possible for all the browsers used in this test, including running baselines across all the test beds in order to determine manufacturing difference between identical laptops and disabling bloatware and other things that might impede any performance.  I think that most of the video is explaining how this test was performed and then how they re-ran some of it to verify results, to re-verify based on updates and other issues.  

Fantastic video! I am glad I decided to check it out.

Things I liked:

1) Very thorough testing that answers most if not all questions people might have.

2) The video tested something that people have actually talked about, but there were no valid tests to back the claims up with (no, Microsoft is not a valid source for these kinds of things)

3) Information presented in a way that was easy to digest.

4) Sponsor did not make the content shittier (like the BeQuiet build video which was awful, and I am fairly sure the sponsorship played some role in the parts which were chosen).

5) The results were interesting.

6) The thumbnail was less cancer than most of your other ones. I might even go as far as to say it was decent/good.

Finally I can put edge off my taskbar, wondered why the thing never did much better than chrome while pretty much being shitter all around.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

So, as a testing methodology goes, there's problems here:

First, the GeForce Experience icing might have actually lost performance. There's a lot of little optimizations that get applied when an application is using fullscreen, like disabling dwm compositing, that are lost when not using the full graphics stack.

Second, there's going to be minor variations in the testing setup. Either test everyone at the EXACT same point (using imaged drives) or don't bother. 

Third. having Chrome installed = lose battery life. I had to fight the background helper back.

So, let's see Linus revisit this one on three devices with CLEAN installs. No bloatware, just the drivers for chipset, graphics and audio. That's it. For real world experiences, have ONE browser installed. Re-image the drives if you must, but seriously, one at a time means you're dealing with as good and clean an environment as possible. 

2 hours ago, indrora said:

First, the GeForce Experience icing might have actually lost performance. There's a lot of little optimizations that get applied when an application is using fullscreen, like disabling dwm compositing, that are lost when not using the full graphics stack.

Second, there's going to be minor variations in the testing setup. Either test everyone at the EXACT same point (using imaged drives) or don't bother. 

That's why they tested all laptops before to see what variation there were between the laptops. If there had been any issues with disabling GeForce Experience (which does not do what you think it does) or differences in the setups then it would have shown up in the baseline test. But it didn't.

Third. having Chrome installed = lose battery life. I had to fight the background helper back.

If that was the case (which I can't find any solid data about it having any meaningful impact) then it should have impacted all laptops equally, so it should not be a big deal.

So, let's see Linus revisit this one on three devices with CLEAN installs. No bloatware, just the drivers for chipset, graphics and audio. That's it. For real world experiences, have ONE browser installed. Re-image the drives if you must, but seriously, one at a time means you're dealing with as good and clean an environment as possible. 

Can't be done. You can not remove Edge.