For £250 is a GTX 1060 the best way to go for my Ryzen 5 build?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FyqTgL

Everything there is pretty much finalised since things like the storage is free and I'm getting discounts and things off people I know for the others leaving me with just the GPU, case and power supply left to budget and I'm looking to prioritise what's left towards the graphics card. With my £250 I've allocated towards the GPU, a figure that I'm allowing an approximate 10% up or down depending on the quality of what's available, I've been considering going with a GTX 1060 like this Asus Card or this MSI Card

Is what I'm looking at the best I can get at the budget I have or can I do better? 

No, 250 pounds is not a good price for GTX1060.

Sadly, high performance video cards are expensive because all of them are bought by miners (to use them for virtual currencies). Because of this the prices are very inflated. 

If you can survive without games for a few months, my advice would be to buy a 15-20 uk pounds (even used, like maybe a nvidia gt210 or gt710 or radeon 6450 or radeon 54xx) which will be fine for browsing and watching movies.

In a few months, maybe the prices will lower again and you could afford to buy a gtx 1070 or a radeon rx 570/580 for that money.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Sadly, high performance video cards are expensive because all of them are bought by miners (to use them for virtual currencies). Because of this the prices are very inflated. 

If you can survive without games for a few months, my advice would be to buy a 15-20 uk pounds (even used, like maybe a nvidia gt210 or gt710 or radeon 6450 or radeon 54xx) which will be fine for browsing and watching movies.

In a few months, maybe the prices will lower again and you could afford to buy a gtx 1070 or a radeon rx 570/580 for that money.

I'm not very familiar with all the variants of cards out there (there's so many!) but is this the 580 you mean? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/6ZmxFT/msi-radeon-rx-580-8gb-gaming-x-video-card-rx-580-gaming-x-8g

I was trying to compare it to a gtx 1060 on userbench but I can't seem to find half the cards I want to compare on that site.

7 minutes ago, r4tch3t said:

I'm not really sure I want to go second-hand on this build since it's my first ever build and I think it may be hard enough without the chance of there being a problem with my card.

Fair enough, although there is a 3 year warranty on the cards so you could get a replacement if it was a dud. But that would take time.

14 minutes ago, mariushm said:

What are you even talking about? 250 for a 1060 or a 580 is pretty standard. Prices of them when miner influx the price is more near 400. 

9 minutes ago, Abe_R said:

I'm not really sure I want to go second-hand on this build since it's my first ever build and I think it may be hard enough without the chance of there being a problem with my card.

I would either get a gtx 1060 or a rx 580 depending on what is cheaper. If you get a gtx 1060 make sure you get the 6 gb variant. Also the gtx 1060 might be a better option if you are knew to building pcs and don't want to overclock because the gtx 1060 will overclock itself while the rx 580 will give better performance once you overclock but you have to do it yourself.

Here's a  NEW cheap card that will work just fine, for 22 uk pounds: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-Graphics-PCI-Express-PureVideo-Technology/dp/B0083IH9WI/

Perfectly fine for browsing and watching movies and even some simple games.

As a comparison I bought my RX 470 video card for around 766 RON (~20% VAT included) in December 2016.. that's around  which was around 146 UK pounds. The RX 570 should be i guess at most 170 uk pounds and the rx 580 shouldn't be more than 200 uk pounds... and rx 580 is more powerful than gtx1060 ... but good luck finding one in stock even at 250+ uk pounds.

That's why I'm saying, if gaming is not a concern you may save at least 30-50 uk pounds by waiting a few months until things settle.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Here's a  NEW cheap card that will work just fine, for 22 uk pounds: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-Graphics-PCI-Express-PureVideo-Technology/dp/B0083IH9WI/

As a comparison I bought my RX 470 video card for around 766 RON (~20% VAT included) in December 2016.. that's around  which was around 146 UK pounds. The RX 570 should be i guess at most 170 uk pounds and the rx 580 shouldn't be more than 200 uk pounds... and rx 580 is more powerful than gtx1060 ... but good luck finding one in stock even at 250+ uk pounds.

That's why I'm saying, if gaming is not a concern you may save at least 30-50 uk pounds by waiting a few months until things settle.

Gaming is the main reason I'm building this PC haha, thanks for the info though

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Dude the rx 580 8 gb was always over 200 for a good one idk what you are talking about. There were some for slightly cheaper like 230 to 220 but that honestly isn't worth buying a crap card and waiting.

42 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VKWbYr this is what I would go for if you wanted to get the rx 580 instead. They are very comparable in performance to the gtx 1060 but the rx 580 pulls head in most games once both are overclocked. 

Ahh thank you for providing info on both, much appreciated. So as far as I can tell the 580 would be better but would involve some tinkering with overclocking to achieve this superior performance. Since I have no experience can you tell me how hard doing that would be?

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

You're not familiar with gpu pricing in the uk aren't you haha. The cheapest rx 470 which was available in the uk was 170 pounds while the cheapest 8gb 580 was 240-250 pounds so the price he is paying for the 1060 is pretty normal.

On 6/24/2017 at 5:15 PM, Abe_R said:

Ahh thank you for providing info on both, much appreciated. So as far as I can tell the 580 would be better but would involve some tinkering with overclocking to achieve this superior performance. Since I have no experience can you tell me how hard doing that would be?

Sorry for being so late on the reply. Generally speaking overclocking a gpu is pretty easy to do but requires you to test the overclock to ensure its stable. You would probably be better off looking at a some youtube videos of people showing how to overclock a gpu and see what you would have to do.