Whats linux like?

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

How would this affect the File Explorer and those applications? How would different Terminal Windows not do the same thing? 

I added a bit to the previous post, but here's an example. Let's say you do open a new terminal window in the current directory. Great, you have 2 windows, not too difficult to manage. Now you have to change directories and you want to have a clear view of all the files in the directory with the ability to launch them while the terminal is doing something. You can open up a new terminal window or use a `cd` command in the old terminal to keep the views in sync, which gets tedious after a while, or you can have an integrated terminal that's just always in sync. Have you ever used git before or compiled a program from source? This makes jumping around a lot really easy.

2 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

I added a bit to the previous post, but here's an example. Let's say you do open a terminal in the current directory. Great, you have 2 windows, not too difficult to manage. Now you have to change directories and you want to have a clear view of all the files in the directory with the ability to launch them while the terminal is doing something. You can open up a new terminal window or use a `cd` command in the old terminal to keep the views in sync, which gets tedious after a while, or you can have an integrated terminal that's just always in sync. Have you ever used git before or compiled a program from source? This makes jumping around a lot really easy.

Interesting, I still prefer MacOS xD

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Interesting, I still prefer MacOS xD

I know. After all, your name is DrMacintosh. It would be pretty awkward if you didn't use it.

2 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

It would be pretty awkward if you didn't use it.

I use both. 

I used an 2011 iMac for a while and loved it, then built the PC in my description based on the need for power and the want to game. I eventually needed a laptop recently and after some very bad experiences with Windows 10, I decided against having Windows be the OS of the machine I need to work the most.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If you like programming, Linux is awesome. The BASH shell is easy to learn if you can program it makes doing a lot of simple but tedious tasks really quick and easy. Things like take every video in this directory tree, check if it's compressed with a codec I don't like, and if so re-compress it using x264 with these settings, moving the bloated originals to this other directory so I can easily delete them later. But its gaming support is nowhere near the level of Windows sadly, and I doubt it ever gets there with the death of Steam OS.

On 29-6-2017 at 3:31 PM, Dat Guy said:

?

Elaborate?

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

I love Linux, I use it every day - there really arent that many caveats other than game support, which you can work around for a lot of games.

But anyway i'll just point out the fact, that Windows 10 you can use indefinately for free. After the 90 days you'll get a watermark on the desktop, lose some customisation options, and it will restart more regularly. But it wont restrict you from logging in and using your computer like in the past. So theres not really a reason you cant just save a little every month to buy a license later.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Dirt Rally, Witcher 1 & 2, Rocket league, Dota 2, CSGO, CIV 6, Portal 2, Bioshock Infinite, Metro Last Light, Cities Skylines, and terraria make up a non exhaustive list of the Linux supported games in my steam library alone. To say that you can't game on Linux is a flat out lie. more and more games are coming out with Linux support because the tooling makes it much easier than it used to be. Unity and Unreal 4 both support building for Linux.

the new Davinci resolve works flawlessly on Linux.

IMO linux is best suited for very computer literate people and very computer illiterate people. Its not so great for people in between who use computers all the time but don't understand how they work, those people know just enough to be dangerous to their own computers.

Fortunately, if you fall into that middle category, if you the time, you can easily become very computer literate by using Linux!

10 hours ago, SpaceNugget said:

Dirt Rally, Witcher 1 & 2, Rocket league, Dota 2, CSGO, CIV 6, Portal 2, Bioshock Infinite, Metro Last Light, Cities Skylines, and terraria make up a non exhaustive list of the Linux supported games in my steam library alone. To say that you can't game on Linux is a flat out lie. more and more games are coming out with Linux support because the tooling makes it much easier than it used to be. Unity and Unreal 4 both support building for Linux.

the new Davinci resolve works flawlessly on Linux.

IMO linux is best suited for very computer literate people and very computer illiterate people. Its not so great for people in between who use computers all the time but don't understand how they work, those people know just enough to be dangerous to their own computers.

Fortunately, if you fall into that middle category, if you the time, you can easily become very computer literate by using Linux!

I haven't looked into this in a while but I remember Windows was still outperforming Linux on Linus supported games due to lack of DirectX support. Is this still the case? I've been using Linux on my laptop for a couple of weeks now and it's been a charm, however I did not want to install it on my main pc yet because of that very reason.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

10 hours ago, Alterlai said:

I haven't looked into this in a while but I remember Windows was still outperforming Linux on Linus supported games due to lack of DirectX support. Is this still the case? I've been using Linux on my laptop for a couple of weeks now and it's been a charm, however I did not want to install it on my main pc yet because of that very reason.

Lack of DirectX wouldn't be a cause of worse performance if you're talking about potential performance under DirectX versus potential performance under OpenGL. A lot of Linux ports just aren't as optimized as the Windows versions though and Linux graphics drivers tend to be inferior to Windows graphics drivers. With that said, you don't need a high end graphics card to make most games playable. You can always dual boot at first to test the performance yourself. If that doesn't work out, just delete your Linux partition. If you plan to use new hardware or use AMD's drivers, make sure you get a fairly recent kernel and the latest Mesa drivers.

On 6/24/2017 at 3:33 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

Are you getting a Ryzen CPU? because if you are, you will want something newer. Ryzen optimisations are in kernel 4.10. What is available now is kernel version 4.8 to 4.9.

Ubuntu 17.10, which will be released soon, should be over kernel 4.10

I have installed Lubuntu 17.04 and it uses linux kernel 4.10.

Software is not an issue. Almost all programs have alternatives on linux. Some of them are even better!!! The problem is there are no games like on windows. Although some modern games like Bioshock infinite, Shadow mordor, Hitman, Dying light, Metro and some big games are available on linux too.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

On 6/24/2017 at 4:19 AM, DrMacintosh said:

tbh MacOS isn't limiting at all. Have had it and used it in varying capacities since 2011. 

There are just different ways of doing things. iOS is full of a lot more "crap" lol. 

But yeah a Hackintosh isn't the easiest thing to set up. 

macOS is shit. I know i use it since 2010. I had 3 PCs since 2010 and had installed hackintosh on every one of them.

At the moment i post from HP 4540s. I have Dual boot latest macOS and linux (lubuntu). Lubuntu is much much faster and it uses 300 MB RAM lol. I can't use macOS anymore. It feels so slow compared to lubuntu. No it's not HDDs fault i have dual boot on SSD (Crucial BX100).

those that do backups

On 6/24/2017 at 5:23 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Why would I want a terminal in my file explorer? Wouldn't I just launch a terminal window anyway? 

You wont need it. macOS is not for profesionals. It's users do not need terminal :D Oh terminal in mac is shit like finder. How can you compare Dolphin to finder LOL. 

Oh you do not have used linux. Then what the hell are you talking about? 

those that do backups

3 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

macOS is shit. I know i use it since 2010. I had 3 PCs since 2010 and had installed hackintosh on every one of them.

At the moment i post from HP 4540s. I have Dual boot latest macOS and linux (lubuntu). Lubuntu is much much faster and it uses 300 MB RAM lol. I can't use macOS anymore. It feels so slow compared to lubuntu. No it's not HDDs fault i have dual boot on SSD (Crucial BX100).

You do know in comparison to MacOS Linux has literally no features and software.......

Also Hackintoshing is not actually running MacOS the way it is supposed to. Im using MacOS on a dual core i5 with an iGPU, theres nothing slow about it xD

Also APFS shits on NTFS and HFS 

Just now, mate_mate91 said:

It's users do not need terminal :D Oh terminal in mac is shit like finder.

You do know you can actually do more in terminal than you can in the command line in Windows right? 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

You do know you can actually do more in terminal than you can in the command line in Windows right? 

LOL i use linux as long as i remember myself. Of course i know that, but i hate working in terminal in macOS. It smells :D #macisshit!!!

those that do backups

1 minute ago, mate_mate91 said:

LOL i use linux as long as i remember myself. Of course i know that, but i hate working in terminal in macOS. It smells :D #macisshit!!!

Have fun running applications on your Linux install 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You do know in comparison to MacOS Linux has literally no features and software.......

Also Hackintoshing is not actually running MacOS the way it is supposed to. Im using MacOS on a dual core i5 with an iGPU, theres nothing slow about it xD

Also APFS shits on NTFS and HFS 

What software are you talking about and what features hah?

What will you say about ext4?

those that do backups

What software are you talking about and what features hah?

What will you say about ext4?

Any software like the Adobe Suite, games, getting good graphics drivers, good monitoring software, Office, and File management extensions. 

54 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Any software like the Adobe Suite, games, getting good graphics drivers, good monitoring software, Office, and File management extensions. 

Adobe suite has pretty good alternatives for linux Gimp, Inkspace, Lightworks etc. (Lightworks is professional grade software, evidenced by the fact that it has been used in the editing of several high-profile films including Wolf of Wall Street, The King’s Speech, and Pulp Fiction. All told, it’s a formidable competitor to Premiere Pro)

Games are on linux too, just not ALL games, Graphics Drivers are getting better and better, valve is pushing hard getting linux to be gaming OS. Monitoring software are on linux. Actually i work for seismological center in my country and the software we use to monitor earthquakes is only on linux, MS office has alternative on linux and file management is the best on linux compared to on Windows and macOS

those that do backups

Adobe suite has pretty good alternatives for linux, Injspace, Lightworks

Year or you could use the industry standards like Premier or FinalCut. 

Excuses, excuses, excuses, and your last point is a insignificant side note that affects nobody. 

Dont give me this alternative bs, it doesn't fly with the consumer. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Go and for starters actually USE linux and then talk about it!

those that do backups