Whats linux like?

2 hours ago, fpo said:

The video speaks for itself and if you cannot discern a comparison, nor accept the previously mentioned details

So your argument can be summed up with a difficulty comparison with video games.........

Solid

Unless you want to explain what you mean by this, then I'm not going to essentially "shut up" which you said in not as many words. 

The only thing coherent out of that is Linux does things differently, but if that was was superior it would be the dominant way, right? But it's not, Linux has utterly failed at penetrating the consumer market. It's only popular with servers and the sort because that is what it's good at. As a desktop consumer OS it just falls apart. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

26 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

So your argument can be summed up with a difficulty comparison with video games.........

Solid

Unless you want to explain what you mean by this, then I'm not going to essentially "shut up" which you said in not as many words. 

The only thing coherent out of that is Linux does things differently, but if that was was superior it would be the dominant way, right? But it's not, Linux has utterly failed at penetrating the consumer market. It's only popular with servers and the sort because that is what it's good at. As a desktop consumer PS it just falls apart. 

2 hours ago, fpo said:

How do you know they're problems? 

Alternatives exist everywhere. The Russians use AK-47 assault rifles, and Americans use M-16 assault rifles. They both shoot bullets, and work. 

The M16 has its style of attatchment systems and the idea of a small fast moving bullet is the best way to kill

the AK-47 has a different style of attatchments and the idea a heavy slow moving bullet is the best way to kill. 

Mac/windows and Linux are Operating systems that work. 

Mac/windows have applications that work on them. 

Linux has its own applications that work on it. 

What's the difference between Microsoft word and Libre Office Functionally? Who cares? Libre works on linux, and office works on Mac/pc. You can change the font and type words. 

Whats the difference between gimp and photoshop? "Photoshop is better easier and makes sense."

well doesn't the AK-47 make more sense and is easier to operate than an M-16? Why don't you tell the US Army to use AK-47s instead of m-16 rifles, and see how far you get? 

I can spend all day talking about all the applications but I'll finish with 3Ds Max, and Maya. 

Both 3Ds Max and Maya are made for windows and Mac, and both are made by the SAME COMPANY. They both do the same thing. You can model, animate, rig characters and make remders, HOWEVER... you should NOT use the same controls for both programs. 3Ds Max and Maya are meant to be used in different ways. They simply work differently. If you don't understand how 3Ds Max and Maya work, why don't we compare a hammer to a drill. 

A hammer and a drill put a short piece of metal into wood. The metal goes in the same general way, however if you try and slam a drill into a screw, it won't work as easily as using the drill the way it's meant to. HOWEVER the drill cannot function without electricity. 

The hammer on the other hand cannot put a nail in by twisting, and works just fine without electricity. However you cannot hammer in a nail if there's no space to swing the hammer. 

Every tool and alternative has had an intended use, pros, and cons. 

In order to understand them you MUST fully try each method in the intended fashion. 

My final argument will be a video. Videogamedunkey's difficulty in video games. The video speaks for itself and if you cannot discern a comparison, nor accept the previously mentioned details, I know you're trying to not accept any ideas on purpose and formally request you to cease all discussion permanently. 

22 hours ago, Schyken said:

You must not be doing it right, because I do this all the time. Installing `openjdk-8-jre`, you can then open the file properties of Minecraft.jar with right click, mark as executable, and r-cick open with OpenJDK 8. And from then on it's just a simple double click to launch. No terminal necessary. There are guides on how to do this in almost every one of the distros, which I wished I read before fiddling about lol.

On 7/10/2017 at 8:41 AM, vorticalbox said:

The thing i miss the most is middle click to paste. 

What have I done.

I have created a monster.

1 hour ago, TheCatShuriken said:

What have I done.

Nah, you've just managed to find the trifecta between people who have no clue because they've no experience, and the people who do, but are on different sides of the fence. :P  I guess this finally means I can jump in and say KDE Plasma is better than GNOME? xD

It's like food for the soul, but it's a drink for the body.

5 minutes ago, Schyken said:

Nah, you've just managed to find the trifecta between people who have no clue because they've no experience, and the people who do, but are on different sides of the fence. :P  I guess this finally means I can jump in and say KDE Plasma is better than GNOME? xD

*casually sitting here with instructions for how to transfer a windows 10 licence*

1 hour ago, TheCatShuriken said:

What have I done.

no no i went back to windows for a little while i hated not having middle click to paste text. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

4 hours ago, TheCatShuriken said:

What have I done.

You have not done anything. You're just getting trolled by a mac fan-boy. He/She/It performs similar trolling on windows related threads. It cannot accept that people are productive on non mac systems and it staunchly dismisses numerous anecdotes and personal testimonies. It is worthy of exercising the block function.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

no no i went back to windows for a little while i hated not having middle click to paste text. 

Wait, you can use middle click to paste text?

woah, technology!

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

You have not done anything. You're just getting trolled by a mac fan-boy. He/She/It performs similar trolling on windows related threads. It cannot accept that people are productive on non mac systems and it staunchly dismisses numerous anecdotes and personal testimonies. It is worthy of exercising the block function.

I know lol, I was talking about the fact that a question I asked caused 5 pages of discussion. 

Just now, TheCatShuriken said:

I know lol, I was talking about the fact that a question I asked caused 5 pages of discussion. 

yea most of it is trolling. I would not call it a discussion but a flame war. I can easily tell because every second post is hidden by the forum's blocking a certain individual

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

yea most of it is trolling. I would not call it a discussion but a flame war. I can easily tell because every second post is hidden by the forum's blocking a certain individual

Huh. Well this was interesting. Gonna have to go back and read later once I get bored with my infinitely large steam library (hint: I wont).

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Solid

The only thing coherent out of that is Linux does things differently, but if that was was superior it would be the dominant way, right? But it's not, Linux has utterly failed at penetrating the consumer market. It's only popular with servers and the sort because that is what it's good at. As a desktop consumer OS it just falls apart. 

You missed the point again. 

I said it does things differently. It's a side step. 

Just as a drill and hammer, neither is better than the other. It simply works differently. 

Your analysis is too black and white, and you haven't bothered seeing the other side. 

5 hours ago, Schyken said:

What do you mean I don't know what I'm talking about? THE PLASMA PISTOL SUCKS IN HALO!! It's not funnnnn. 

Also dont think I like gnomes either. I never subscribed to keemstar. 

20 hours ago, Aidan Dorfler said:

like heavan

Once I get my new PC running and go to the store, I'll grab popcorn and read through this. This oughta be good.

21 minutes ago, TheCatShuriken said:

Once I get my new PC running and go to the store, I'll grab popcorn and read through this. This oughta be good.

;)

On 6/24/2017 at 1:33 AM, TheCatShuriken said:

Money, really. I cant fork over too much for the OS when I'm already really pushing a 730 USD build. Of course piracy is an option, but a lot of windows 10 is connected to the web, and frequent updates, security features, and other things might not work (just a guess).

But Windows 10 doesn’t cost money. You can download it from Microsoft and install it. When it asks for an activation code, you simply press “Later”, and go about your day. The only thing you loose is the ability to change your desktop background. 

I have never paid for Windows, and I have never pirated Windows.

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

On 7/16/2017 at 3:54 PM, Claryn said:

But Windows 10 doesn’t cost money. You can download it from Microsoft and install it. When it asks for an activation code, you simply press “Later”, and go about your day. The only thing you loose is the ability to change your desktop background. 

I have never paid for Windows, and I have never pirated Windows.

Using Windows after the 30 days trial period without activating it is still the same as piracy, even if it still works.

10 hours ago, MysticalGnome said:

Using Windows after the 30 days trial period without activating it is still the same as piracy, even if it still works.

That's not true at all. Microsoft could easily keep people from using their OS after 30 days. It's like the WinRAR trial.

10 hours ago, noahdvs said:

That's not true at all. Microsoft could easily keep people from using their OS after 30 days. It's like the WinRAR trial.

They did that in Windows Vista and still do that in Windows Server, namely that your OS would shutdown at random intervals. But they would rather have a not paying customer than one that goes to the competition. That is the only reason they "allow" you to use the OS after the 30 days, also of course in the hopes that you will still buy that license and activate it. It does not mean it's legal, it simply means Microsoft isn't going to bother suing every individual that uses there product unlicensed.

55 minutes ago, MysticalGnome said:

They did that in Windows Vista and still do that in Windows Server, namely that your OS would shutdown at random intervals. But they would rather have a not paying customer than one that goes to the competition. That is the only reason they "allow" you to use the OS after the 30 days, also of course in the hopes that you will still buy that license and activate it. It does not mean it's legal, it simply means Microsoft isn't going to bother suing every individual that uses there product unlicensed.

Since you are given permission to use an unactivated version of Windows and there are no repercussions, it is not piracy. Microsoft just wants people to switch to Windows 10, so they allow you to just press "Skip" or "Later" when you are prompted to activate Windows. It never asks you again. There is just a small watermark in the Settings-app, and it resets your Desktop background whenever you log out. 

Data Science Postgrad

22 hours ago, MysticalGnome said:

I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft themselves. Therefore it's not piracy. Unauthorized use (if that's what this falls under) != piracy.

For example, say I want to open an arcade, but I do so by buying a bunch of consoles, get games for them, and renting time to them for my customers. This is unauthorized use of the software because the license agreement says I cannot use these games for commercial purposes without approval. However I didn't illegally obtain them, so therefore, it's not piracy.

14 minutes ago, Claryn said:

Since you are given permission to use an unactivated version of Windows and there are no repercussions, it is not piracy. Microsoft just wants people to switch to Windows 10, so they allow you to just press "Skip" or "Later" when you are prompted to activate Windows. It never asks you again. There is just a small watermark in the Settings-app, and it resets your Desktop background whenever you log out. 

Have fun reading this than.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method. When you connect to the Internet while using the software, the software will automatically contact Microsoft or its affiliate to conduct activation to associate it with a certain device. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone. In either case, transmission of certain information will occur, and Internet, telephone and SMS service charges may apply. During activation (or reactivation that may be triggered by changes to your device’s components), the software may determine that the installed instance of the software is counterfeit, improperly licensed or includes unauthorized changes. If activation fails, the software will attempt to repair itself by replacing any tampered Microsoft software with genuine Microsoft software. You may also receive reminders to obtain a proper license for the software. Successful activation does not confirm that the software is genuine or properly licensed. You may not bypass or circumvent activation. To help determine if your software is genuine and whether you are properly licensed, see (aka.ms/genuine). Certain updates, support, and other services might only be offered to users of genuine Microsoft software.

19 hours ago, MysticalGnome said:

Have fun reading this than.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method. When you connect to the Internet while using the software, the software will automatically contact Microsoft or its affiliate to conduct activation to associate it with a certain device. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone. In either case, transmission of certain information will occur, and Internet, telephone and SMS service charges may apply. During activation (or reactivation that may be triggered by changes to your device’s components), the software may determine that the installed instance of the software is counterfeit, improperly licensed or includes unauthorized changes. If activation fails, the software will attempt to repair itself by replacing any tampered Microsoft software with genuine Microsoft software. You may also receive reminders to obtain a proper license for the software. Successful activation does not confirm that the software is genuine or properly licensed. You may not bypass or circumvent activation. To help determine if your software is genuine and whether you are properly licensed, see (aka.ms/genuine). Certain updates, support, and other services might only be offered to users of genuine Microsoft software.

This

19 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft themselves. Therefore it's not piracy. Unauthorized use (if that's what this falls under) != piracy.

For example, say I want to open an arcade, but I do so by buying a bunch of consoles, get games for them, and renting time to them for my customers. This is unauthorized use of the software because the license agreement says I cannot use these games for commercial purposes without approval. However I didn't illegally obtain them, so therefore, it's not piracy.

Data Science Postgrad

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2017 at 2:58 PM, TheCatShuriken said:

*Facepalm*

6 pages

Damn.

I'm going to assume you just went with Windows. Which is alright... however, depending how much storage space your PC has, you can always download something like Ubuntu or Mint. Create a bootable CD/DVD or USB with them and you can install Linux alongside your Windows installation. Fun for tinkering around and learning the ropes, but still have access to your "daily driver"... until you one day daily drive Linux!