Whats linux like?

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Either way, Linux would have 100 less games than Windows and or MacOS in that situation. 

You based your claim that Linux has a poor selection of games on your own library. I told you why that doesn't work. Linux has lots of good games, it just doesn't have ALL games. Also, while graphics card drivers aren't as good on Linux as on Windows, at least you can use your own graphics cards instead of only having whatever Apple offers you.

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

FYI kinguin is based in hong kong and they do not sell real licenses. They just sell the activation key. No license = piracy so you do what you want to do with your money just dont be misinformed. you dont know where the keys came from or how often they recycle them

Would this be a full license? 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

You are going to get polarized opinions on Kinguin from both sides. 

All I can say is that I have used them in the past when fixing a relatives computer and the key worked without a hitch. That was about a year or two ago and the key still works.  

I don't doubt that, but I'm not 100% how I feel about pirating a whole operating system. 

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Journalists can prove that you can use linux without the command line.

You can; but the CLI is so much more powerful, so much more efficient, so much more fast, and there are good tools that are CLI exclusive. It's not a bad skill to have.

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Linux & TOR are creeping into this industry full of derpy interns

No idea what the relevance of that is or what exactly it means...

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Just now, TheCatShuriken said:

but I'm not 100% how I feel about pirating a whole operating system.

Well MS wants to charge users $100 for an OS that gets ads, that installs programs you dont want, forces you to update, spies on you, and doesn't have any Office or productivity apps like Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iMovie, or Garageband. 

My current license is actually a Windows 7 Key and I took advantage of the upgrade program and saved a good amount because I don't think the OS is worth what they charge for it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well MS wants to charge users $100 for an OS that gets ads, that installs programs you dont want, forces you to update, spies on you, and doesn't have any Office or productivity apps like Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iMovie, or Garageband. 

My current license is actually a Windows 7 Key and I took advantage of the upgrade program and saved a good amount because I don't think the OS is worth what they charge for it. 

Absolutely not. I just don't know if it would have the auto updates and security features. Thats my main worry. 

1 minute ago, TheCatShuriken said:

Would this be a full license? 

i use to work in this area. There are some things to look out for. Anything below MS prices are breaking some rule. Margins for re-sellers are crap so theres just no way you can get it at 20% of full price.

They say they make them cheap by not shipping anything physical because they are:

re-selling volume license or OEM keys.

They sell volume license only products that have been discontinued - right now im downloading windows 7 ultimate from their website and i didnt even buy anything. They're just doing everything wrong its really comical.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

While Linux isn't as good as Windows for gaming, it's better than Mac because you can use your own hardware and it's still great for non-gaming activities. It's also super customizable. This is my favorite setup so far: TdWfrgk.png

The file manager on the right is called Dolphin. It's the best file manager on any OS. It's got tabs, split view, tree view in the details view, an integrated terminal that follows the directory you're currently looking at, cloud storage service integration, and even more.

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i use to work in this area. There are some things to look out for. Anything below MS prices are breaking some rule. Margins for re-sellers are crap so theres just no way you can get it at 20% of full price.

They say they make them cheap by not shipping anything physical because they are:

re-selling volume license or OEM keys.

They sell volume license only products that have been discontinued - right now im downloading windows 7 ultimate from their website and i didnt even buy anything. They're just doing everything wrong its really comical.

Hmm. Would it be safe to say if I was going to buy the OS from one of those sites I might as well pirate it for free? 

3 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

It's got tabs, split view, tree view in the details view, an integrated terminal that follows the directory you're currently looking at, cloud storage service integration, and even more.

sounds a lot like Finder

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, TheCatShuriken said:

Hmm. Would it be safe to say if I was going to buy the OS from one of those sites I might as well pirate it for free? 

this is what i may imply but prob cant explicitly say due to forum rules

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

it's better than Mac because you can use your own hardware

You could always build a Hackintosh 

Also the new 27" iMacs have essentially an RX 580. So Macs can actually game now (they can run Windows as well), they just aren't cost effective at it lol. 

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

this is what i may imply but prob cant explicitly say due to forum rules

Not that I would pirate anyway... No siree, not me!

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Also the new 27" iMacs have essentially an RX 580. So Macs can actually game now, they just aren't cost effective at it lol. 

Sounds fun but I would rather not be the laughing stock of the entire forum after posting over 30 threads asking tips on building my new computer. 

1 minute ago, TheCatShuriken said:

Sounds fun but I would rather not be the laughing stock of the entire forum after posting over 30 threads asking tips on building my new computer.

There are whole other forums that have step by step guides \

tonyMac is one.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

There are whole other forums that have step by step guides \

tonyMac is one.

I'll still have to pass. Another thing is I'm not sure if I can deal with any more of apples crap lmao. I still have frustrations with my iPad Mini, let alone a mac.

Just now, TheCatShuriken said:

'm not sure if I can deal with any more of apples crap lmao

tbh MacOS isn't limiting at all. Have had it and used it in varying capacities since 2011. 

There are just different ways of doing things. iOS is full of a lot more "crap" lol. 

But yeah a Hackintosh isn't the easiest thing to set up. 

Linux's biggest flaw is that it has very limited program/application support

Need an office suite? Libre/Open office

Need a text editor for coding? vim, emacs, Sublime, take your pick except Notepad++

Need a video player? VLC

Need a music player? Foobark2k

Need a web browser? Take your pick from the popular ones

Even if the lack of native games or some apps are a problem, you can probably use Wine to run it.

See also (though they do overlap a lot):

To say Linux lacks applications (presumably for the average user) is gross misinformation.

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

sounds a lot like Finder

It's better. I haven't used Finder in a while, but I doubt Finder has fundamentally changed. I'd be surprised if Finder had an integrated terminal though. For reference, this is what it looks like: Screenshot_2017-06-23T20-32-43Z.thumb.png.8938a47f2d0d3d95b3d3ce73ab43278a.png

All those `cd` commands are entered automatically whenever the terminal isn't doing anything to make it follow the directory you're looking at. That's the feature that really puts it above and beyond for me.

50 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Also the new 27" iMacs have essentially an RX 580. So Macs can actually game now (they can run Windows as well), they just aren't cost effective at it lol. 

The difference between building a Linux system and building a Hackintosh is that Linux is actually supported while Hackintosh is not. If you're going to hack a system together, you might as well use Linux. It's not perfect, but it does run on nearly everything. It can be customized to fit your system where as your system has to be customized to fit macOS with Hackintoshes.

MKBHD thought the iMac Pro seemed kind of like a trap since Apple already had the Mac Pro and there's no upgrade path for the iMac Pro yet.

11 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

and there's no upgrade path for the iMac Pro yet.

The iMac Pro isnt meant to replace the Mac Pro, that machine is still being developed. 

Also who brought up the iMac Pro? The Mac I was referring to was the 27" 5K iMac with the Radeon Pro 580 

27 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

I'd be surprised if Finder had an integrated terminal though

That terminal just looks like a file pathway to me

38 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

Libre/Open office

poor substitute for even Apples offering

Even if the lack of native games or some apps are a problem, you can probably use Wine to run it.

A poor experience across the board and crashes are guaranteed 

To say Linux lacks applications (presumably for the average user) is gross misinformation.

Its fact. Sure these 3rd party applications will work, and not as well as programs from 1st parties, but beyond that Linux remains as the OS for the tinkerer, not the average consumer. 

Oh and Linux doesn't have Creative Cloud or really any Pro software. 

The iMac Pro isnt meant to replace the Mac Pro, that machine is still being developed. 

Also who brought up the iMac Pro? The Mac I was referring to was the 27" 5K iMac with the Radeon Pro 580 

Oh I thought the iMac Pro was the new iMac.

That terminal just looks like a file pathway to me

It's a terminal, it just looks fancy: Screenshot_2017-06-23T21-21-37Z.thumb.png.dc97f79d82b52471d522f48e2c36083f.png

Just now, noahdvs said:

It's a terminal, it just looks fancy:

Why would I want a terminal in my file explorer? Wouldn't I just launch a terminal window anyway? 

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why would I want a terminal in my file explorer? Wouldn't I just launch a terminal window anyway? 

Not if you're switching back and forth between multiple applications. If you're a programmer, it's really convenient. It also means I don't ever need to open Dolphin in root mode, which is dangerous because it's easy to accidentally move critical files or folders, unlike with a terminal.

Edited by noahdvs

1 minute ago, noahdvs said:

Not if you're switching back and forth between multiple applications.

How would this affect the File Explorer and those applications? How would different Terminal Windows not do the same thing?