8+6 pins won't boot instead of 8+8

K. I have asus R9 280x and psu corsair hx 650. That boi has blue 2x8 pci-E and black 6x6 Periferals and Sata connections. My other GPU only needs 8pin pci-E, however, R9 280x boots only when it starts on all 2 blue 8 pci-E (16) but it should take only 6+8 (1x6pins from Periferals and Sata, and 1x8pins pci-E), where in last case system won't boot at all, only half sec coolers lights and done, no response until O/I PSU .
I want to give 1x8pin for each of my gpus , and add 1x6pin for R9 280x and boot all of that somehow.
I know that I could solder 8+6 just into 8pin and it should work but I never done this before, or probably my system won't boot because 6pins power really only for Periferals and Sata, or it start work not at the same moment with 8pins, don't know.
Help pls to find best cheap and fast solution for this problem, thanks.

29 minutes ago, 240_17user said:

K. I have asus R9 280x and psu corsair hx 650. That boi has blue 2x8 pci-E and black 6x6 Periferals and Sata connections. My other GPU only needs 8pin pci-E, however, R9 280x boots only when it starts on all 2 blue 8 pci-E (16) but it should take only 6+8 (1x6pins from Periferals and Sata, and 1x8pins pci-E), where in last case system won't boot at all, only half sec coolers lights and done, no response until O/I PSU .
I want to give 1x8pin for each of my gpus , and add 1x6pin for R9 280x and boot all of that somehow.
I know that I could solder 8+6 just into 8pin and it should work but I never done this before, or probably my system won't boot because 6pins power really only for Periferals and Sata, or it start work not at the same moment with 8pins, don't know.
Help pls to find best cheap and fast solution for this problem, thanks.

Best solution is to plug in all the pins on the GPU...?

Those are there for a reason.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I have no idea what is going on... are you saying your card requires two 8 pin PCIe connectors and then saying that it only works when you plug them in, and not when you only plug in a 8 + 6?  Because if that's the case, then, yes, that's expected behaviour...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have no idea what is going on... are you saying your card requires two 8 pin PCIe connectors and then saying that it only works when you plug them in, and not when you only plug in a 8 + 6?  Because if that's the case, then, yes, that's expected behaviour...

R9 280x have only 14pins

Boots only when I put wires into 2x8 slots (I need 1 for another gpu) on psu, won't boot when I put wires into 8+6.

Video card boots only on blue ports, why?

IMG_20170619_161441.jpg

IMG_20170619_161807.jpg

1 minute ago, 240_17user said:

R9 280x have only 14pins

Boots only when I put wires into 2x8 slots (I need 1 for another gpu) on psu, won't boot when I put wires into 8+6.

-snip-

Please, make a little more sense, otherwise we are unable to help you.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, 240_17user said:

R9 280x have only 14pins

ok so the card only needs 8+6, that makes sense.

I'm trying to figure out what the modular options are on the HX650 but even the website doesn't make it very clear...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, 240_17user said:

R9 280x have only 14pins

Bad port on psu? How long have you been using it?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

ok so the card only needs 8+6, that makes sense.

I'm trying to figure out what the modular options are on the HX650 but even the website doesn't make it very clear...

IMG_20170619_162140_01.jpg

3 minutes ago, 240_17user said:

I'm referring to the ports on the back where you connect the cables.  What does it provide for PCIe power?

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm referring to the ports on the back where you connect the cables.  What does it provide for PCIe power?

14979149169511760403539.jpg

2 hours ago, 240_17user said:

Hm, those aren't labelled very well, but plugging the 8+6 that you use on your GPU into either of the blue ports should do it.

22 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, those aren't labelled very well, but plugging the 8+6 that you use on your GPU into either of the blue ports should do it.

It doesn't work at mode 6+2pciE(blue)+ 6(black) and I can't understand why? (Even solo). It works perfect only when I use 2 both blue sockets to connect 8+6 card, then I can't connect second gpu anymore...

Just now, 240_17user said:

It doesn't work at mode 6+2pciE(blue)+ 6(black) and I can't understand why? (Even solo). It works perfect only when I use 2 both blue sockets to connect 8+6 card, then I can't connect second gpu anymore...

what does the cable that goes between your GPU and the PSU look like, specifically what's on both ends?

45 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

what does the cable that goes between your GPU and the PSU look like, specifically what's on both ends?

Cables are fine, usual 6+2pin.

I think for some reason pci-E and Periferals couldn't be in one circuit, or they are booting not simultaneously, I mean what if they have small delay that can't boot video card from different sources blue and black(as I mentioned before and I have attached photos) even from black pciE Periferal 6 (where 3"+", 3 "-") plus experementally added (2 "-") from PCIE blue slot, any GPU won't start, only when cords are connected to blue slots. 

P.S. 1GPU 8pins; 2GPU 8+6pins; boot only from blue sockets on PSU hx650; wires all checked vise versa.

if you put the 6pin cable in the peripheral/sata port (black port) it will not function because it isn't designed with the same electircal specs as the blue ports

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Your power supply only offers two PCIe power connectors for graphics cards. If you need more than 2 for your cards, you will need to upgrade your power supply.

I'm still not quite sure what is going on or why things aren't working.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm still not quite sure what is going on or why things aren't working.

He has a 280X that requires an 8-pin and a 6-pin, and another GPU that requires a single 8-pin. 3 PCIe power connectors necessary.

The PSU only provides 2 PCIe power connectors (both 6+2 pins), so he tried plugging into the modular sockets for peripherals/SATA on the power supply.

Lucky that didn't fry anything, really.

15 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

He has a 280X that requires an 8-pin and a 6-pin, and another GPU that requires a single 8-pin. 3 PCIe power connectors necessary.

The PSU only provides 2 PCIe power connectors (both 6+2 pins), so he tried plugging into the modular sockets for peripherals/SATA on the power supply.

Lucky that didn't fry anything, really.

oh.

186312-Well-There-s-Your-Problem.jpg

Lucky you didn't blow up your stuff friend. You need a power supply with at least 1 more blue socket for your pcie.

The problem is likely in the pin configuration of the Peripheral / Sata power Port or Cable that is included with the Modular Power Supply.

Since it is perfectly possible to take 2 4pin Molex connectors and convert them to a 6 pin.. I am sure the power coming out of the non blue ports is just like power coming out of the blue ports.. So I think the reason it is not working is due to what voltages are going to what Pins using the Black cable into the Black Modular port.
In other words the Cable is wired wrong for PCIe 6.

Check out This site for Pinouts OR just get a Dual 4 pin Molex to 6 pin PCI adapter..
http://www.overclock.net/t/1420796/repository-of-power-supply-pin-outs

I do not think they use capacitors on their modular cables.

If it was me I would plug the cable into the power supply and map out each pin myself to be sure. Using a Multimeter check voltages and make sure all are the same and if not swap the pins around until they are and then label that cable as special. OR just get Dual 4 pin Molex to 6pin adapter and call it a day.. They make single 4pin Molex to 6 pin PCIe BUT I would get the dual 4pin Molex depending on the wire gauge. 

Beyond that.. Make sure your not exceeding the MAX power draw of your PSU