15€ PC

Hello everybody,

I'm doing a challange with a friend to make a 15€ "gaming" PC. Does anyone have any tips to make it preform as best as it could? I was thinking about putting a raspery pie/Android version of minecraft on the PC to make it run faster. We Will also be doing benchmarks.

Just now, manikyath said:

your best bet would be buying a keg of beer, and going into a scrapyard.

Hahaha?

I could use scrap parts.

Just now, fixitnow said:

Cheating? 

No

Just now, Tummy said:

Hahaha?

I could use scrap parts.

i'd rather say, that's all you'll find at that kind of pricepoint.

the most lucky i've seen someone get was an i3 540 with a GT640 that was completely functional, and only slightly smelled like dog shit.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'd rather say, that's all you'll find at that kind of pricepoint.

the most lucky i've seen someone get was an i3 540 with a GT640 that was completely functional, and only slightly smelled like dog shit.

Welp, I smell dog shit now.

The geek himself.

Get a donated case or make one out of a cardboard box.

Hit ebay for some old socket AM2 or AM3 motherboard and you'll probably find one for maybe 5 euro, look for one with integrated graphics. You can find processors for around that much as well.

You're left with one hard drive ... you can find one for around 5euro as well, something like 80-160 GB sata hdd and some ddr2/ddr3

look for places like goodwill or places like freegeek which was shown on LinusTechTips you may work there for 3-4 hours breaking up computers or whatever and you'll get discount or free parts for your work.

You can often find server hardware for really low prices (ex buy motherboard + cpu + some ram)

I can buy from local stores refurbished computers for around 40 euros ( hp compaq dc7800, Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz, 2 GB DDR2, 160 GB SATA, DVDRW) so you can do better. 

You may find dell optiplex systems for sell on ebay for something like 25$ (you may win them if they're auction and not buy it now)

Also have a look at places that are specialized on web hosting and stuff like that, for example Web Hosting Talk forums. 

If you check the sales section of their forums you can get lucky and find "servers" for very cheap

For example

sadly local pickup only :  LINK

Supermicro X7DWU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad Core 5430 | 16Gb | w/o HDD | Supermicro SIMSO+ 2.0 - $30.00
Supermicro X7DBR-E | 2x Intel Xeon L5410 2.33GHz | 32Gb | w/o HDD | Supermicro SIMSO+ 2.0 - $30.00
Supermicro X7DBR-e | 2x Intel Xeon E5450 3.00 GHz | 16Gb | w/o HDD | Supermicro SIMSOP 2.0 - $30.00

add hdd and you have a good PC with 2d only graphics... maybe able to squeeze a gaming card later when you have money

and from time to time, Atom based servers show up, like this ad ( but a bit more expensive at 60$ and minimum 2 to buy ) l.. LINK

SuperMicro 502L-200B 1U Chassis
Supermicro X7SPE-HF-D525 Board
Intel Atom D525 Dual Core Processor with HT
4 GIG RAM
1 * Seagate Barracuda 500 HDD
- $60 ea (15+ available)

14 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Get a donated case or make one out of a cardboard box.

Hit ebay for some old socket AM2 or AM3 motherboard and you'll probably find one for maybe 5 euro, look for one with integrated graphics. You can find processors for around that much as well.

You're left with one hard drive ... you can find one for around 5euro as well, something like 80-160 GB sata hdd and some ddr2/ddr3

look for places like goodwill or places like freegeek which was shown on LinusTechTips you may work there for 3-4 hours breaking up computers or whatever and you'll get discount or free parts for your work.

You can often find server hardware for really low prices (ex buy motherboard + cpu + some ram)

I can buy from local stores refurbished computers for around 40 euros ( hp compaq dc7800, Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz, 2 GB DDR2, 160 GB SATA, DVDRW) so you can do better. 

You may find dell optiplex systems for sell on ebay for something like 25$ (you may win them if they're auction and not buy it now)

Also have a look at places that are specialized on web hosting and stuff like that, for example Web Hosting Talk forums. 

If you check the sales section of their forums you can get lucky and find "servers" for very cheap

For example

sadly local pickup only :  LINK

add hdd and you have a good PC with 2d only graphics... maybe able to squeeze a gaming card later when you have money

and from time to time, Atom based servers show up, like this ad ( but a bit more expensive at 60$ and minimum 2 to buy ) l.. LINK

Thanks man

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |