Editing Workstation Upgrade

Least the L-man is smiling in the thumbnail for this vid ;)

Freebie's always brings a smile to whomever got that shit for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :)

Another video explaining your editing workflow will be useful especially with your new RED camera footage

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

2 hours ago, dylandylandylan said:

I apologize if it's been answered already - but what is the case they're using? 

in the main post just to answer your question

Buy Corsair 460X on Amazon: http://geni.us/45tM1SA

17 hours ago, Arty said:

a 7 gamers 1 (2*) cpu sort of setup, but instead of it being 7 gamers, 7 editors.

I would guess there's to many bugs for their setup atm.  

My old HS's plan, next upgrade cycle is to go to centralized server for the engineering computers with thin clients.

The library computers are already using this.  

Plus Intel sponsored, (assuming their sponsorship allowed for it) they could have gone all out , and have produced and multi episode series on this @LinusTech

Edit:

saw @nicklmg's comment

Hide contents

This was directly answered in the video by referencing this video.

Maybe Next Gen Cpu's with higher clocks will be more efficient? (Or more realistic next upgrade cycle 5 years from now?)

I would be interested to see if using more lower core count higher clocked, in a multi socket board, instead of just 1 ballin cpu, would be a better solution.

so essentially 4 of these https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/xeon/e7-processors/e7-8893-v2.html

vs 1 of these https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/xeon/e7-processors/e7-8890-v4.html

or somethings in between. 

Fair enough - I just don't really see the benefit of that over giving each user their own workstation, aside from "because we could".

By using individual workstations, they will be minimizing issues and any potential troubleshooting will be significantly easier to diagnose.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

17 hours ago, Arty said:

a 7 gamers 1 (2*) cpu sort of setup, but instead of it being 7 gamers, 7 editors.

My old HS's plan, next upgrade cycle is to go to centralized server for the engineering computers with thin clients.

Plus Intel sponsored, (assuming their sponsorship allowed for it) they could have gone all out , and have produced and multi episode series on this @LinusTech

Edit:

saw @nicklmg's comment

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe Next Gen Cpu's with higher clocks will be more efficient? (Or more realistic next upgrade cycle 5 years from now?)

I would be interested to see if using more lower core count higher clocked, in a multi socket board, instead of just 1 ballin cpu, would be a better solution.

so essentially 4 of these https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/xeon/e7-processors/e7-8893-v2.html

vs 1 of these https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/xeon/e7-processors/e7-8890-v4.html

Until you have an issue with the host. 

Then suddenly no one is working and you're not making any money. 

A school is a very different environment. VDI still has it's uses within business, this just isn't one of them

I want to get them set up on a proper whole room watercooling setup.  I feel so unsatisfied seeing the project get abandoned in a non-working state when they switched buildings.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Saw the badass video and wanted to know which ram is he using, however the links show an overall view....

May I presume is this model of ram he is using? CMR64GX4M8A2666C16

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC4-21300-memory-CMR64GX4M8A2666C16/dp/B06ZXY642N/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497607870&sr=8-2&keywords=corsair+vengeance+rgb+8x8gb

Linus, since you were able to choose any motherboard, why did you choose the ASUS X99-A II over an ASUS X99 Deluxe II?

Thanks...

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:21 AM, Testing123 said:

Linus, since you were able to choose any motherboard, why did you choose the ASUS X99-A II over an ASUS X99 Deluxe II?

Thanks...

Hello?

I don't ask the above question frivolously. I am genuinely interested and the answer will have weight in personal rig build.

Thanks...

1 hour ago, Testing123 said:

Hello?

I don't ask the above question frivolously. I am genuinely interested and the answer will have weight in personal rig build.

Thanks...

No offense, but the odds of Linus personally answering this post is preeeeeeeeetty much 1 in 10,000.

They probably didn't choose the Deluxe II because they likely had no need for the extra features.

If you're comparing the X99-A II over the X99 Deluxe II, just choose the one that has the features you need. They'll be pretty much identical otherwise in performance and stability.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Thanks for the response, @dalekphalm .

I don't really need the extras that the Deluxe II brings either.

I appreciate your help.

I kind of wish we could see the editors do the upgrade themselves, like this video back almost two years ago:

On 6/24/2017 at 6:21 AM, Testing123 said:

Thanks...

Because he got a steep discount, were given to him for free, or he had a bunch laying around.

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2017 at 5:30 PM, Arty said:

Edit:

saw @nicklmg's comment

Reveal hidden contents

Only problem that I see here is if there's an issue with the server, then no one is working, and people will not be happy. I'd rather place my bets on individual workstations so that if there's an issue, only a few of those can be diagnosed and everyone else is happy.

The only thing that I will centralize however, is storage. Everyone has access to the same storage off of the storage server, and I would run both an on-site and an off-site backup image of all of the storage contents, and run the servers on a RAID 50 or a RAID 60 array.

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

• 5 months later...
On 6/12/2017 at 4:25 PM, LinusTech said:

Maintenance on large air coolers can be a bit of a pain in the butt if you have some RAM issues or whatever.

They also look nicer this way.

Other than that, yes, an air cooler provides fewer points of failure (ideally one in push-pull for redundancy) if you  want a system to last for a very very long time maintenance-free.

Yeah that would be a great idea. Probably something we'll get around to at some point.

So what are the exact specs of the editing pc's?

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.