Your opinions about my airflow

Memorizer

Good day! :)

I'm here to ask for your help about the airflow of my pc. So basically my pc has 2 fans: 1 intake and 1 exhaust. The intake fan has higher air pressure than the exhaust one (The exhaust fan is very weak at blowing out air).

I need your opinions if I need to switch the places of both fans making the weaker fan the intake and the stronger one exhaust or should I just keep it as is. Just to mention, the intake's on the front and exhaust is on the back.

Thank you in advance. Have a good day! :)

just keep it. airflow isnt that important usiually even and what you have is good seeing as you have posetive pressure

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Do you have any problems at the moment? Yes: Try changing it. No: Leave it.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

lmao mine would be worse, one stock included case fan for intake, one corsair fan running my AIO for exhaust and some random pc fan ghetto hung with copper wire to my side panel to intake air for the GPUs.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Yeah as @Bananasplit_00 said it doesn't matter that much, but positive pressure, where more air is being pushed in than pulled out by fans, is the best setup. Neutral pressure (same amount of air being taken in and exhausted) is also fine, it's more that you don't want negative pressure, being more air being pushed out than pulled in. That's because it'll be constantly pulling in air through all the other little openings in the case to equalize pressure, which is an awesome way to get tons of dust in your PC :D

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

5 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

Do you have any problems at the moment? Yes: Try changing it. No: Leave it.

While idle, it reaches about ~37-41 degrees. I think that's normal considering that it's quite warm here in The Philippines.

8 minutes ago, another random person said:

lmao mine would be worse, one stock included case fan for intake, one corsair fan running my AIO for exhaust and some random pc fan ghetto hung with copper wire to my side panel to intake air for the GPUs.

Better invest for airflow especially if you live in warm countries. :P

Just now, Memorizer said:

Better invest for airflow especially if you live in warm countries. :P

Well, ill probably just buy a cheap evilbay 120mm fan when my mining profits come through

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Stronger intake should lower your temps, cause if the intake doesnt give much fresh air in and the exhaust only blowing out the heated air the inside of PC should somewhat still be hot, try to open your side panel and check if the temps are getting better, if yes then you do not have enough of intake. In my case i've opened the side panel and temps on GPU reduced by 10c~, then i placed another fan near the PC on the ground to blow inside my pc and again i got around -5c, so in total it reduced the gpu temps by 15c.

1 minute ago, Exaco said:

Stronger intake should lower your temps, cause if the intake doesnt give much fresh air in and the exhaust only blowing out the heated air the inside of PC should somewhat still be hot, try to open your side panel and check if the temps are getting better, if yes then you do not have enough of intake.

Will try. Just to add I put the intake in the middle slot on the front, not the top; Is that fine?

2 minutes ago, Memorizer said:

Will try. Just to add I put the intake in the middle slot on the front, not the top; Is that fine?

Not an expert in cooling, but middle slot should be optimized option so from mid it should reach pretty much every component. But if you want to cool GPU for example more, then u should place the intake fan to blow under the gpu fans ( placing the fan to bottom front slot i guess ), so it catches fresh air more easily.

Just now, Exaco said:

Not an expert in cooling, but middle slot should be optimized option so from mid it should reach pretty much every component. But if you want to cool GPU for example more, then u should place the intake fan to blow below the gpu fans, so it catches fresh air more easily.

Yeah, I agree. I planned to put the intake onto the top slot, but I thought that it might not reach most of the parts especially the hard drive because it's located at the bottom beneath the PSU shroud.

33 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Stronger intake should lower your temps, cause if the intake doesnt give much fresh air in and the exhaust only blowing out the heated air the inside of PC should somewhat still be hot, try to open your side panel and check if the temps are getting better, if yes then you do not have enough of intake. In my case i've opened the side panel and temps on GPU reduced by 10c~, then i placed another fan near the PC on the ground to blow inside my pc and again i got around -5c, so in total it reduced the gpu temps by 15c.

That's not how it works. If you don't have an intake fan it will suck air through all the gaps and will attract dust. The air needs to come from somewhere and that somewhere is outside the case so it's always 'fresh'.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

16 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

That's not how it works. If you don't have an intake fan it will suck air through all the gaps and will attract dust. The air needs to come from somewhere and that somewhere is outside the case so it's always 'fresh'.

Well, besides the dust that's kinda what i've said, that also explains why intake should be stronger so its bigger chance that the dust will be "catched" by the intake fan restricting to let dust go in from other gaps, so its normal that it will suck dust in. That's why better cases has these dust filters, also if the airflow is great some dust should be blown out by the exhaust fan. But if you were talking about my setup, i know its shitty af and it will catch lots of dust whithin few days.

59 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Well, besides the dust that's kinda what i've said, that also explains why intake should be stronger so its bigger chance that the dust will be "catched" by the intake fan restricting to let dust go in from other gaps, so its normal that it will suck dust in. That's why better cases has these dust filters, also if the airflow is great some dust should be blown out by the exhaust fan. But if you were talking about my setup, i know its shitty af and it will catch lots of dust whithin few days.

Im talking about this part:

Stronger intake should lower your temps, cause if the intake doesnt give much fresh air in and the exhaust only blowing out the heated air the inside of PC should somewhat still be hot

Stronger intake doesn't lower your temps. With this sentence you suggest that witouth a strong intake you don't get as much fresh air. That's not true at all. The air has to come from somewhere otherwise you are creating a vacuüm (and thats not possible in a case). 

35 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

Im talking about this part:

Stronger intake doesn't lower your temps. With this sentence you suggest that witouth a strong intake you don't get as much fresh air. That's not true at all. The air has to come from somewhere otherwise you are creating a vacuüm (and thats not possible in a case). 

Well, idk then, but it works for me. Basically imo the more fresh/cold air ( from a room/env ) gets in and stays the better it is, cause the CPU/GPU uses that fresh air to cool itself and exhaust is needed for removing the warm air and maybe some dust. 

Why then with side panel open my temps are way lower ? Because my case lacks intake power. My case is Cooler Master Force 251 and the intake fan is in front panel just under the CM logo, will try to play around later to get it low temps w/ closed side panel, i have like 3 fans in total.

1 hour ago, Exaco said:

Well, idk then, but it works for me. Basically imo the more fresh/cold air ( from a room/env ) gets in and stays the better it is, cause the CPU/GPU uses that fresh air to cool itself and exhaust is needed for removing the warm air and maybe some dust. 

Why then with side panel open my temps are way lower ? Because my case lacks intake power. My case is Cooler Master Force 251 and the intake fan is in front panel just under the CM logo, will try to play around later to get it low temps w/ closed side panel, i have like 3 fans in total.

You do have a point there. I just thought it through and if you don't have an intake fan then your exhaust fan will need to work harder to move the same amount of air (because it needs to suck it through those holes). That's why it will be cooler when you leave your sidepanel off because it doesn't need to suck it through the small gaps.

Update: 

Test 1: (Closed side panel) 39 degrees

Test 2: (Open side panel) avg. of 37 degrees

Test 3: (Open side and front panel) 37 degrees

Conclusion: Open side panel for better temps, which is prone to dust and pet hair. :(

P.S. I ran this test for about 10 mins. each maximum

Plus. The side and front panel are tempered glass, just to throw it in there. :)

On 12.6.2017 at 4:12 PM, Memorizer said:

Update: 

Test 1: (Closed side panel) 39 degrees

Test 2: (Open side panel) avg. of 37 degrees

Test 3: (Open side and front panel) 37 degrees

Conclusion: Open side panel for better temps, which is prone to dust and pet hair. :(

P.S. I ran this test for about 10 mins. each maximum

Plus. The side and front panel are tempered glass, just to throw it in there. :)

Those still idle temps? Try running actual stressing test and see how it goes. 40C idle/low load is really good overall. Thats about same I'm getting with 23C room temp.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

21 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Those still idle temps? Try running actual stressing test and see how it goes. 40C idle/low load is really good overall. Thats about same I'm getting with 23C room temp.

Those are idle temps, If you're getting those temps at 23C then my pc's good because it's about 30-ish here everyday :)

2 hours ago, Memorizer said:

Those are idle temps, If you're getting those temps at 23C then my pc's good because it's about 30-ish here everyday :)

Iäm sure you know this, but idle temps only mean that your cooler is mounted correctly. You should do some stress testing to see how they go with load.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv