Does this power supply provide enough power?

Go to solution Solved by Marcseli,

550 is good too, but you might be able to hear the psu fan due to it reaching its limit.

I have a friend who is finally building himself a PC and he is conflicted on what power supply to get. His cpu and gpu were going to be a ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to around 4ghz with a gtx 1060 6gb. He plans on getting the evga supernova 550 or 650 but I feel like it is unnecessary.

650 watts is more than enough for what he has. He should be fine for future upgrades as well.

My name Jeff

Do you feel like he can use a 550 watt psu? Where he lives it is a somewhat big price difference.

550 is good too, but you might be able to hear the psu fan due to it reaching its limit.

My name Jeff

Well I will let him know. Thank you for your help.

Just now, CrunchyO123 said:

Well I will let him know. Thank you for your help.

np

My name Jeff

my R7 build with a 1070 runs at about 390 watts at the wall. an R5 build with a slightly lower wattage GPU will be slightly less. you want your PSU to be running right in the middle (or it's designed sweet spot, each one is slightly different) for maximum efficiency. IMO, while a 550 will do the job, it'll be running in the 75% load range whereas a 650 would be closer to that 50% - 60% sweet spot.

IMO, of course.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Even 400W would be more than enough for this build even OC.

43 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Even 400W would be more than enough for this build even OC.

Yes, but it would be running at the very top of the rated output, which is never ever good.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 hours ago, knightslugger said:

Yes, but it would be running at the very top of the rated output, which is never ever good.

no

4 hours ago, CrunchyO123 said:

I have a friend who is finally building himself a PC and he is conflicted on what power supply to get. His cpu and gpu were going to be a ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to around 4ghz with a gtx 1060 6gb. He plans on getting the evga supernova 550 or 650 but I feel like it is unnecessary.

A 550W would be more than double what that system would use.

4 hours ago, Marcseli said:

550W would not be anywhere near it's "limit." A GTX 1060 runs off a single 6-pin, no way in hell is he OP's system going to consume enough power on a single 6-pin (limited to 75W of draw plus 75W for PCIe power)/

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 hours ago, knightslugger said:

Still wouldn't be even close.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||