overclocking my 3 year old i5-4670k

hi guys...

i have an i5-4670k on a asus z87 pro motherboard with an arctic freezer 13 air cooler.

i was wondering if i could push my cpu which is currently running at base speed of 3.4 GHz but i dont really know how to overclock it and how far i can overclock.

i want to do this because i'll get a new gpu to replace my gtx 770.

and since i have a 1150 socket on my motherboard i wanna push this cpu to get better performance ingame.

i currently play planetside 2 where the cpu limits the game a lot and i would like to know how much i would gain in performance if i could boost my cpu to like 4-4.5 GHz.

thanks for the help

Felix

1 minute ago, Felix123 said:

hi guys...

i have an i5-4670k on a asus z87 pro motherboard with an arctic freezer 13 air cooler.

i was wondering if i could push my cpu which is currently running at base speed of 3.4 GHz but i dont really know how to overclock it and how far i can overclock.

i want to do this because i'll get a new gpu to replace my gtx 770.

and since i have a 1150 socket on my motherboard i wanna push this cpu to get better performance ingame.

i currently play planetside 2 where the cpu limits the game a lot and i would like to know how much i would gain in performance if i could boost my cpu to like 4-4.5 GHz.

thanks for the help

Felix

get a better cooler and oc the crap out of it 

What would be your budget for a new cooler?

Watch a YT vid or two on how to overclock, I'm sure there are videos on your exact CPU.

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

1.) Set LoadLineCalibration (LLC) to high/extreme

2.) Disable all C-states and EIST in BIOS (for the sake of testing stability, once you find your max OC you can enable it again)

3.) Safe start would be to set VCORE to 1.1V-1.2V and try 4.2GHz-4.4GHz by changing the multiplier to 42-44, that should be easy

4.) Test with Aida64, don't bother running the stress test for several hours. Try for 15-20 minutes and then use the PC as you normally would, if it crashes and your temperatures are fine then bump up the voltage a bit (1.3V is about the max you should go on air, but you won't get there with your cooler). If it is stable then bump up the clock by 100MHz and repeat.

5.) Once you find your maximum core OC then do the same with CPU Cache (usually CPU Ring in BIOS or UNCORE), it has its own voltage as well (keep it under 1.2V with your cooler). You don't have to go as high with the cache, keeping it about 0.4GHz-0.5GHz bellow the core clock will be enough.

EDIT:
You may also try to bump up the VRIN voltage to get higher clocks or improve stability (the one that is set to 1.8V as default). I would suggest to not go higher than 1.9V with that because of your cooler.

Generally, you would want the VRIN voltage about 0.4V higher than the core voltage. But that depends on a lot of things.

what are the max temps that i am allowed to run on my cpu... currently i have 52^C max on max power while gaming.

can i go up to 60, 70, or even higher temps?

4 minutes ago, Felix123 said:

what are the max temps that i am allowed to run on my cpu... currently i have 52^C max on max power while gaming.

can i go up to 60, 70, or even higher temps?

You are safe up to about 95*C before it starts thermal throttle, obviously, you don't want to go so high so keep it in the mid 70*C to mid 80*C for the Aida64 stress test.

In games, it will never get so high.

52*C is chilly.

I got my delided old 3570k to 4.6 with a vcore of 1.328v, my temps peaked at ~80°C/176°F, and as a cooler i used a Alpenföhn Brocken 1 but i guess that i squeeze out another 0.1 Ghz with a stronger cooler like a NH-D15.

For Haswell i wouldnt go higher than 1.375-1.400v  and 85°C/185°F for daily use.

You should be able to squeeze out atleast 4.5Ghz out of that Haswell Chip, unless Silicon Lottery really hates you.

First i would check your voltage using stock clocks, if you want to squeeze out the maximum i you could even undervolt until you reach the minimum stable voltage for the stock clock and overclock from there.

From your base voltage i would go straight to 4.4-4.5Ghz and increase the voltage by 0.025v until your system boots up, then i would run 25-50 runs of Intel Burn Test, usually if your voltage is too low the first 5-15 runs should BSOD your system, if so increase the voltage further but always keep an eye on the temperatures and make sure you stay under the max vcore.

You could run a couple of games now or continue

If you run those 25-50 runs of IBT and the games successfully i would increase the clock by another 0.1Ghz and bench again/ increase the voltage further untill you have about 0.050v left till your max voltage with the highest clock you can get, i would use those last 0.050v to finetune.

Run another 100 runs of Intel Burn test and throw in some game and other synthetic benchmarks to make sure your overclock is stable