RAM refuses to take an OC

So when I bought my Ryzen PC part by part I took one look at the RAM prices and went into shock! So I decided I could cheap out and save like 30 dollars by getting the GSkill 2133Mhz instead of the 500 million Ghz OC edition that was 30 or so bucks more... So after a bit of a mix up where I had it in single channel mode instead of the much faster dual channel... I decided to try 2666 Mhz so I set it in the Bios and restarted then Set it again in the Ryzen OC app... But After that restarted it still said it was only running in 2133 mode so I gave up....

So I guess the point of this thread is that... Does anyone here want to buy some 2133 Mhz RAM ( 2X 8GB ) after I swap it out in about 3 weeks with some faster sticks? I can't send it back to newegg because it's been over 30 days and the box got thrown out....

derp

Add voltage?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

List your specs in your profile man! 

Need to know all the things to help. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, Jrock said:

Add voltage?

I don't want to accidentally break them....

derp

Just now, App4that said:

Sigh.... Fine... Give me like 10 minutes to type this shit....

derp

16 minutes ago, App4that said:

In sig...

derp

Why would you cheap a little on memory after buying the most expensive Ryzen processor and a top end motherboard?

Any ways.... I highly advise Corsair Vengeance, mine works like a charm.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Don't hatch on me but if you have the exact model number of the RAM that make a big difference. Even within the same model of RAM the compatability with Ryzen can change.

But try this. Set your voltage on the RAM to 1.37v, 1.35v is the limit as per AMD just so you know but running 1.45v has proven to be the real ceiling so far. Manually choose 2666MHz again. 

Also make sure you have the latest bios. 

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Why would you cheap a little on memory after buying the most expensive Ryzen processor and a top end motherboard?

But does it come in red??

derp

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

K4 isn't the best, is it? Gaming Pro is the big dog. 

Just now, Linksys120n said:

But does it come in red??

Red? eeeewww Do I look like someone who uses MSi to you? :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, App4that said:

K4 isn't the best, is it? Gaming Pro is the big dog. 

I am not arguing about the memory quality, but buy a 2133mhz kit expecting to reach 3000+ is a tad silly. I just meant the Corsair Vengeance is slightly cheaper and works as good as.... provided you get OC'able memory that is.

Personal Desktop":

23 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

I don't want to accidentally break them....

1.35v is totally safe. Put that in.

Also, just sayin but you can't be complaining about the cost of $30. You legit bought an 1800x when you could've saved $170 bucks and got a 1700.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

I am not arguing about the memory quality, but buy a 2133mhz kit expecting to reach 3000+ is a tad silly. I just meant the Corsair Vengeance is slightly cheaper and works as good as.... provided you get OC'able memory that is.

Also it's not a valid complaint when they got an 1800x over 1700

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Also, just sayin but you can't be complaining about the cost of $30. You legit bought an 1800x when you could've saved $170 bucks and got a 1700.

Don't be shitty.  It was a mistake, but don't rub it in.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, DocSwag said:

I bought the 1800x day one hour one before I saw a single review of it and then when I saw the reviews I was too lazy to send it back....

derp

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Don't be shitty.  It was a mistake, but don't rub it in.

Ik, but I was just making a point...

Just now, Linksys120n said:

I bought the 1800x day one hour one before I saw a single review of it and then when I saw the reviews I was too lazy to send it back....

Ooohhhhhhh rip :/ 

At least you learned to never pre order, albeit the hard way...

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Also it's not a valid complaint when they got an 1800x over 1700

Do you know the clock speed chances with the 1700 verses the 1800X? Might want to know those before posting. 

Just now, App4that said:

Do you know the clock speed chances with the 1700 verses the 1800X? Might want to know those before posting. 

I am pretty sure the difference is <.1 ghz

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

I am pretty sure the difference is <.1 ghz

Nope, the 1700 has less than a 10% chance of hitting 4GHz, none of hitting 4.1. The 1700X is the best value, the 1800X the best lotto chances. The 1700 is basically negutively binned. The 1700X average. The 1800X binned for overclocking.

Review samples and early 1700s were basiaclly 1800x and 1700x with the x removed. 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

600MHz base clock, 300MHz boost clock.

We're referring to differences in OCing

Just now, App4that said:

Nope, the 1700 has less than a 10% chance of hitting 4GHz, none of hitting 4.1. The 1700X is the best value, the 1800X the best lotto chances. The 1700 is basically negutively binned. The 1700X average. The 1800X binned for overclocking.

Review samples and early 1700s were basiaclly 1800x and 1700x with the x removed. 

Source?

That's not to mention, that .1, even .2 ghz makes barely any difference in most games.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Source?

That's not to mention, that .1, even .2 ghz makes barely any difference in most games.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3916vs3917

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, DocSwag said:

Source?

Yeah, digging for that now. Makes a BIG difference when the CPU is the limitation, like with Ryzen in some games. But, very task to task. 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Please not userbenchmark, also don't know what you're referring to.

Just now, App4that said:

Yeah, digging for that now. Makes a BIG difference when the CPU is the limitation, like with Ryzen in some games. But, very task to task. 

.1 ghz is literally 2.5%, so in best case scenario that's a 2.5% boost. I've never seen a 4 ghz CPU doing 2.5% better than a 3.9 ghz one. Literal best case scenario, in reality it's gonna be 1%, max, for .1 ghz and 2% for .2.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler